DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Laramie Longhorn with 5.7L, 6spd, 3.55. I get 14.5 MPG in the winter, 16.5 MPG Summer. I drive 35 miles one way to work driving 62ish and 3 stop signs. If I pay attention to nothing else as I drive, I can MAYBE? get 16.8 MPG out of it. Any ideas as to what is going on? I should be getting 20ish from what I hear... Runs great and has plenty of power. Been this way since I got it 2 years ago....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty much the same fuel economy I get in my 2016 Outdoorsman with the 5.7, 8 speed and 3.92. I get about 16-17 mpg on the highway and 14-15 mpg in the city. Not quite as good as I expected when I got the truck but still way better than my old 2007 Ford 5.4 I used to own.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T, I get about 13 city 17 hwy, so yall are doing better than me. I do agree that the mpg are terrible though.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had a 2013 Express Hemi with the 6-speed and 3.55’s. Your numbers are normal. Your not going to get better than that unless you get one with the 8-speed. Not sure why you think you should be getting 20mpg. I don’t even get that with my 2019 with the 8 speed and 3.21 gears

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird how a guy I work with has almost the same truck in a big horn and he gets 20-21. Few other people I know do too... Window sticker says 20mpg. I didn't expect that, but after hearing people I know getting it, Figured maybe someone knew something I didn't.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I got that with my Gen3- now with my '14 Hemi, Quad Cab, Long bed, 4x4 I drive the same distance one way- I get with cruise control on 65mph in summer between 20 and 21mpg, in winter around 19mpg. But I have the 3.21 axle. I know the 3.55 and the 3.92 have a hard time to get those numbers, but 19-20 should be possible- I believe the biggest issue is, that you have probably the 6-speed transmission- the 8-speed does do a lot to the mpg.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
OEM size tires and wheels? From what I found here your about average.
this is very vague. same as the values given by the manufacturer- If you drive lots of highway on a flat road, you will have higher mileage- if you drive long distance highway, but in the mountains, it drops. If you drive in high altitude, it drops. If you drive mostly country roads, it drops. If you drive in the city- it drops. if you drive highway but are often in stop and go- it drops.
every situation is unique and you can't compare a total over the whole US. If you have your truck 5 years and have your average, what you usually get, then that's what it is. And a lot also has to do, how heavy your right foot is.

·
Registered
2011 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC, 5.7L Hemi
12 Posts
I have a 2013 Laramie Longhorn with 5.7L, 6spd, 3.55. I get 14.5 MPG in the winter, 16.5 MPG Summer. I drive 35 miles one way to work driving 62ish and 3 stop signs. If I pay attention to nothing else as I drive, I can MAYBE? get 16.8 MPG out of it. Any ideas as to what is going on? I should be getting 20ish from what I hear... Runs great and has plenty of power. Been this way since I got it 2 years ago....
Yep, that's about exactly the same as what I get with a 2011 Longhorn. I've tried babying it and maybe squeeze out another .5 mpg. I drive it now to hear that sweet exhaust note with a magnaflow muffler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 5.7 4x4 mega cab ,I only get 10 or 11 mpg , I do have 2 toolbox’s with tools. I hate it. and the a/c sucks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're moving almost 6000 lbs. curb weight, maybe more. My 1958 Imperial that weighed 5200 lbs. with a 401 Wedge (I didn't have a Hemi...quite rare) didn't do that well in suburban driving, and I only had about 300 net SAE HP instead of 395 net SAE HP. Go easier on the "loud pedal" starting and use the cruise and you may get a couple of MPG better. Steady flat-land cruising at 70-75 MPH, I've gotten 27 MPG with my 2011 Hemi 6 speed and 3.92 axle, and my Imperial MIGHT do 20. Work equals HP. HP equals BTU's per hour. BTU's equal pounds of fuel. You can't change physics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 16 Laramie 4x4 with stock tires, Flowmaster 40 series muffler and a AEM high flow drop in air filter. Inner city MPG is 17-19 on highway driving I can get around 22 plus. Once it’s breathing better and exhausting better you’ll see better mileage, a single mod won’t do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I bought my '09 Laramie in '11. 5 speed auto, 5.7, crew cab. Heavy truck. Back then, I got 23 mpg on the highway running mostly flat. With hills, I still got 20 mpg. That is at 70mph. Now I use a thicker oil and different tires. Drove to Florida and back from Pennsylvania, fully loaded the last 2 years, and got 18 1/2 to 19 mpg. That should be the lowest any of us get? All high gears should be an over-drive gear? Now winter is another story. Around town in summer is about 14. Winter is 12 at best. I live in snow country and that is where the 5 speed hurts gas mileage. We should all get 20 mpg on the highway if not fully loaded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're moving almost 6000 lbs. curb weight, maybe more. My 1958 Imperial that weighed 5200 lbs. with a 401 Wedge (I didn't have a Hemi...quite rare) didn't do that well in suburban driving, and I only had about 300 net SAE HP instead of 395 net SAE HP. Go easier on the "loud pedal" starting and use the cruise and you may get a couple of MPG better. Steady flat-land cruising at 70-75 MPH, I've gotten 27 MPG with my 2011 Hemi 6 speed and 3.92 axle, and my Imperial MIGHT do 20. Work equals HP. HP equals BTU's per hour. BTU's equal pounds of fuel. You can't change physics.
27 mpg with 3.92 gears at 75 mph is absolutely incredible! Don't ever sell it (unless you get its weight in cash!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thicker oil in a Hemi is a very, very bad idea. The clearances are designed for 5W-20 oil and no thicker. You're burning extra fuel to turn the engine parts with heavier oil. Changing tires can greatly affect fuel economy too, so you're comparing apples to oranges. If you were fully loaded, you were at about 7500 lbs, maybe 8000. That's four tons you were pushing around and 18.5 MPG is outstanding at that weight. Our Ferd 13 passenger church vans didn't get 6 MPG loaded with a Winsor 350 and later the Triton 5.4L. Their GVWR was 9000 lbs.MAX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 crusing on the Interstate with me the wife and minmal stuff, I get 19+ mpg. Oh Ave 3.92 rear gear, and 2 wheel drive. Love my Hemi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Russ, I drove from Tulsa to Shreveport to Tire Rack to pick up new tires and back and I was shocked at getting that mileage. As long as you don't have to start and stop, it's possible to get very high mileage. Do a lot of "beep and creep" in town and lots of idle time, and 12-14 is darn good. I just sat the cruise control and drove as far as my bladder would take an old man! I'm almost positive I went 540-ish miles on the first 27 gallons of 100% gasoline mid-grade. Down in Lousyanner, I got a tank of Shell 102 octane premium 100% gas and I made gas on that tank. The mileage meter stayed mostly above 30 MPG on that tank. That was on the OEM Badyears which are hard as bowling balls, but gave great economy. The new Yokohamas are softer rubber and have much better traction at the cost of at least 1.5 MPG. I've also switched from MOPAR semi-synthetic oil to Mobile One, which retains it's viscosity over a wider temperature range inside the engine, so I have a little more windage loss. Every little thing makes a little difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 5.7 4x4 mega cab ,I only get 10 or 11 mpg , I do have 2 toolbox’s with tools. I hate it. and the a/c sucks.
So it's a work truck? Heavy rt foot? Off the road a lot? How much do those tools weigh? Your truck is already about 5,600. Does anyone else drive it? When was your last tune-up? Are the tires stock size or bigger? Any performance enhancements? Do you live in a hilly area?All these have to be taken into account. Someone with the SAME truck as yours may get better milage and NONE of the above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drive a lot of country roads in Wyoming between 70-75 mph and get 20ish in basically exactly the same truck. Combined with around town about 15-16. Fast starts and stops will kill the mpg.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts