DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am new to this site and forum and am needing some seasoned info about my truck. I have just purchased a 2013 Outdoorsman 5.7 4x4 , I want to put a lift kit on the truck but every where I go I am being told that I will need to replace the upper control arms before a kit is added due to the flexing will make the ball joints pop out?? I never heard of this before and am wondering if there are any other models that came out with this issue?

I was also told that I need to buy Uniball upper control arms to have replaced ($700 + labor), I heard on another forum that MOOG (U.C.A.) will work but the shop is unsure that they will work as there is not much information on it.

Any help would be great!

Thank you

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
How much lift are you looking at? If its over 3" I'd probably go with the Zone UCAs which are $430 for the set. They put the ball joint at a neutral angle for a lifted truck.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi MPACH,

FI you are doing a good lift kit that replaces the front spindles you will not need to replace the UCA because If you are doing a lesser kit that does not have the steering knuckles you will need to do the UCA's also.
Zone, BDS have steering knuckles in their 4 and 6" lift kits. Remember that this is not the place to save a few bucks as this is what keeps you in control of your vehicle.
If you have air suspension then BDS makes a lift kit specifically for your truck.
Good luck and have a great day,

preachp

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello MPach,
If you are putting a true lift kit, you likely will not need to replace your UCA's, as this drops everything down and maintains geometry. If you are doing a Leveling Kit, such as spacers or Bilstein 5100's (I recommend the Bilsteins!) then you will want to replace the UCA's.

After 2012, Ram changed to a stamped steel style UCA from a solid cast one to save weight. This means the ball joint is only pressed into about 1/8-1/4" of steel instead of over an inch! The best fix many of us have found is the buy the MEVOTECH UPPER CONTROL ARMS. I bought mine on Amazon for $44 each...yes less than $100 for the pair! They are ridiculously stout, and have greasable ball joints with zerks. They are holding up nicely for me, I am very happy with them.

Here is a pic:

If you look at that installed pic (B4 I wiped it all down of course!), and then reach behind your tire and feel your UCA at where the Balljoint connects, you will know right away why you will have problems, and why these are worth the nominal cost. Most guys buy them on Rock Auto, I just love Amazon.

Here is link to my thread with the Bilsteins and Mevotechs:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=203554

I hope this helps! When installing the lift or level, the UCA is literally only held on with TWO bolts, so labor should not be an issue. I did the entire job in my home garage, and the UCA only added 10 minutes total per side.
If you have questions, please ask!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.