DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 1500 Tradesman 4X4 3.6 V6 8 speed transmission, for some reason 4 wheel drive high was never installed and would like to fix that. Any ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
What do you mean it was never installed? A 2013 Tradesman has the Borg-Warner 44-45 transfer case and that most certainly has a high range. Is it just not shifting into it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean it was never installed? A 2013 Tradesman has the Borg-Warner 44-45 transfer case and that most certainly has a high range. Is it just not shifting into it?
I would post a pic of the buttons on the dashboard but we seem not to be able to here. I only have 3 buttons on the selector, 2WD, 4WD Lock and 4WD Low.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
4 lock is 4 high. The switch you don't have is 4 auto, your transfer case is the part time one which doesn't have auto

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 lock is 4 high. The switch you don't have is 4 auto, your transfer case is the part time one which doesn't have auto
Hmmm strange, I'm used to 4 high (25mph and above), 4 low (below 25) and 4 wheel lock that locks everything up and should only be used in 4 low.

·
Registered
335 Posts
4Hi and 4Lo both force the front and rear drive shafts to spin in unison. 4Lo adds additional gearing reduction.

I'm a little confussled. Which vehicle had those options? You may be referring to differential locks, which force both tires on the axle to spin in unison.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4Hi and 4Lo both force the front and rear drive shafts to spin in unison. 4Lo adds additional gearing reduction.

I'm a little confussled. Which vehicle had those options? You may be referring to differential locks, which force both tires on the axle to spin in unison.
4 high and low engage both axles but allow slip, 4 wheel lock, locks all 4 wheels in with no slip. It least that's what I always understood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that had all 4, 2 wheel, 4 wheel low, 4 wheel high and 4 wheel lock. You did not want to put it in 4 wheel lock unless it was in 4 wheel low, in fact it wouldn't let you.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
"Lock" is referring to the transfer case locking the driveshafts together, not the differentials. There are no locking differentials on Ram 1500s, your front is open and your rear is either a limited slip or open.

On these trucks 4 lock is the high range. There is also 4 auto if you have the 44-44 case and allows you to drive on dry pavement just fine. That's a clutched case though, yours doesn't allow for slippage between the driveshafts when 4 lock or 4 low is engaged

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Lock" is referring to the transfer case locking the driveshafts together, not the differentials. There are no locking differentials on Ram 1500s, your front is open and your rear is either a limited slip or open.

On these trucks 4 lock is the high range. There is also 4 auto if you have the 44-44 case and allows you to drive on dry pavement just fine. That's a clutched case though, yours doesn't allow for slippage between the driveshafts when 4 lock or 4 low is engaged
Ok got it. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts