DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
So I can’t really tell on the date code for the battery which year it was built. I can tell from the 3 it was built in March but can’t tell whether the other letter is a C or a G. C would mean 2013 and G would mean 2017. Can anyone tell from these 2 pictures? Not really important but I’m just curious. They are Mopar batteries because they have Chrysler LLC stamped on the top.
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Rectangle Bumper

·
Registered
234 Posts
I zoomed in on your pics and it looks like a “C” to me. I have a 2013 and just recently replaced the original battery.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That would make it the original battery! Impressive to be sure. While getting nearly 9 years of use from an automotive battery isn’t unheard of, it’s not the norm. Is it still performing well? I’d be prepared for the need to get a replacement in the near future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would make it the original battery! Impressive to be sure. While getting nearly 9 years of use from an automotive battery isn’t unheard of, it’s not the norm. Is it still performing well? I’d be prepared for the need to get a replacement in the near future.
They were doing fine but I live in North Dakota and the temperature dropped to -30 ambient and the batteries were dying overnight. But when it was warm, had no issues out of them. The cold up here just kills batteries. And I put in 2 Interstate batteries and the truck starts no problem in -30 now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I zoomed in on your pics and it looks like a “C” to me. I have a 2013 and just recently replaced the original battery.
Yea, I was thinking it was a C. But my coworker was saying there was no way a battery could last that long. So I wanted to see what other people thought.

·
Registered
464 Posts
They were doing fine but I live in North Dakota and the temperature dropped to -30 ambient and the batteries were dying overnight. But when it was warm, had no issues out of them. The cold up here just kills batteries. And I put in 2 Interstate batteries and the truck starts no problem in -30 now!
Ya, it was a good idea to retire those ‘13 batteries! Bought my truck used back in ‘15. It had InterState batteries that were installed in ‘13. In late-Fall ‘20 I started having issues with them and replaced them with EverStart MAXX batteries from WalMart. While many will say EverStarts are POS batteries, I’ve had minimal issues with several that I’ve bought over the years for other vehicles and my camper. I’m not expecting to get 9 (or even 6) years out of them but that’s pretty much unlikely with any battery currently manufactured. I do believe that Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls) makes both the InterState and EverStart batteries in Milwaukee WI. I live in WI so I feel a little better about that! I do check and top off the electrolyte levels regularly and keep the batteries on a SmartCharger when the truck is not going to be used for a few days. Also, I’m fortunate to be able to keep the truck in a semi-heated garage (never below freezing) most of the time!
We’ve been experiencing some extreme cold lately but I’m thinkin’ North Dakota has been worse. With that kind of weather, 9 year old batteries definitely need to be replaced.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yea, I was thinking it was a C. But my coworker was saying there was no way a battery could last that long. So I wanted to see what other people thought.
I bought my truck new and I had not previously replaced the battery. The original factory battery was labeled as made for FCA by Johnson Controls. It was fine until recently when one cold morning the truck gave me a low voltage message (it started fine without issue). I revved the engine a little and the message cleared after several seconds. Drove it on and off all day without any additional messages. That evening I Installed a new battery. If I recall correctly, I replaced the battery on my previous SUV at about 7 years. Some batteries do last a long time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2015 Outdoorsman battery just died in October of ‘21. I was pretty happy/surprised it lasted that long (Ohio, yeah it gets below freezing here a lot).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts