DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Ram Sport 1500 4x4 with the 5.7L. hemi engine with a 3.92 rear end. I am considering buying a 2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel. The dry weight of the trailer is 6399lbs. and the hitch weight is 1515lbs. I want to make sure that my truck can comfortably handle the trailer before I buy. I'm not concerned about the dry weight of the trailer, but I'm not sure about the hitch weight. Any advice out there? I have the 5'7" box on my truck. I'm assuming I can buy a hitch that will work. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
My Ram only has 3.21's in it and had no problem towing my 7k trailer so I don't see you having any trouble either.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I missed it being a 5th wheel earlier. The weight of the trailer isn't a problem, but the tounge weight could be. I would find someone knowledgeable about 5th wheels. 1515lbs may be too much weight for a Ram 1500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I missed it being a 5th wheel earlier. The weight of the trailer isn't a problem, but the tounge weight could be. I would find someone knowledgeable about 5th wheels. 1515lbs may be too much weight for a Ram 1500.
This would be a private sale, but I'll do some checking around about the hitch weight. I'm thinking it will be borderline for a 1500. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
This would be a private sale, but I'll do some checking around about the hitch weight. I'm thinking it will be borderline for a 1500. Thanks for your input.
You're welcome. :smileup: Let me know what you find out. :shrk:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You might want to post in the correct spot since there are no 2013 vehicles in the 1st gen section!

1981–1993 (D/W) - 1st Gen Dodge Ram Problems and Solutions.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
YOu are goign to be over payload rating.

Limiting factors are teh tires and springs. SHocks are rather wimpy too.
Suggest replacing springs with tuftrucks, shocks with billstein 4600 or 5100.
Upgrade tires to stiffer sidewall. one cheap way is to go down a 1/2 inch and get into E rated tires. Much cheaper than going up a 1/2 inch or full one inch to E rated tires.

Nothing you can do to increase payload but things you can do to reduce the white knuckle instances acct you are over payload.

EDIT:
forgot the C clip, rear axle is also a concern, when running over payload but in your instance, not that much over, so would not really even consider it.

Make sure you trailer is loaded out , properly and do not consider long distance trips or severe elevations. Keep it short, close to home and you should have zero worries.

Just be aware, you will be illegal to be on the road, when overloaded beyond the trucks stated capacities. Will anything ever happen to you on acct of such?
Doubtful but the possibility does exist.

Bottom line, you really do need a bigger truck, to be legal but this truck will do it, with slight alterations, even though it will still be over max limits.

again, it is kind of like speeding. Okay to go 5 over, even 10 over, the speed limit, when close to home or for short duration. Do it in solid blocks of 8 -11 hours a day, constantly, then you WILL pay a price for doing it that way. Simply a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have a great, spreadsheet based, calculator that really helps nail down what you can, and can't, tow.

If you'd like a copy, send me a PM with your email address on it and I'll send it along.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It sounds like you are running too heavy. Generally, tongue weight is 10% of your trailer weight. If you have 1500 pounds tongue weight... your trailer is likely well over 10K pounds. That is too much. Remember, towing isn't just about what the engine can do. It's also what the brakes and steering and suspension can handle. Also, for the 1500... your payload is exactly at 1500 LBS. This means the total amount of anything that should be in the back of that bed can't weigh more than 1500 pounds. Odds are your 5th wheel hitch is probably a couple hundred pounds. Plus, are you putting gear and coolers and water and stuff in the bed? That is another 200 to 30 pounds of stuff... putting you way over weight. You'll be driving a wheelie down the road, with the front end barely touching the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts