DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
not me i don't like the shift thingy or the grill or the headlights.......but the 8 speed trans on the Hemi will be awesome

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Heck i like that they incorporated the air bag suspension option the Cherokee's have.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Considering the power of the Pentastar and an 8 Speed Auto, they may be getting rid of the 4.7. Not a bad thing when you consider the Pentastar's output is just as good as the 3rd Gen 4.7 which is what I had. I personally am not a fan of the refreshed look, the knob to change gears on the dash is a big NO to me. But I'm sure other models with have the standard shifter, it's just the Laramie that may have the Euro styled knob shift on the dash. The only thing I like is the auto level air bag assisted rear suspension for when you have a load in the back, that's pretty smart. Other than that, I'm happy to keep my big blue rig :smileup:

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
What's the pentastar output? I'm not against a v6 in place of a v8 if it makes the same power but I thought the pentastar was like 295hp and less torque, the 4.7L is 310hp and 330 lbft. Still a ways off. I don't like v6's, they are not well balanced and are not as reliable.

I guess with the MDS on the hemi though the mpg ratings are pretty close for the 4.7L and hemi, so it seems like a good choice to dump the 4.7L.

I just find it kind of funny because they are claiming 17/24 mpg for the pentastar, and I nearly get that with my 4.7L. I get about 16-17 city and 20-22 hwy. Pair the 4.7L with the 8 speed and I bet it would do well with mpg.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
At what rpm, and what about torque?

It would suck if they get rid of the 4.7L right after they are able to squeeze some power out of it. Imagine if they invested in the 4.7L like they did the hemi; VVT, MDS, and the variable intake runners.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
While it would be a good investment, they have more pressure to be more "eco friendly" and compete with Ford's V6 market. And with the V6 getting bigger and more powerful it leaves little room for the 4.7 to thrive in the big truck market. You start advancing the 4.7 and then you start encroaching on 5.7 territory at some point, and that won't go over well. Same reason why you can't ge a luxurious Tahoe, that's Cadillac territory. Jeep won't offer a truck (yes there is a conversion kit) in general because that's Ram territory etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
While it would be a good investment, they have more pressure to be more "eco friendly" and compete with Ford's V6 market. And with the V6 getting bigger and more powerful it leaves little room for the 4.7 to thrive in the big truck market. You start advancing the 4.7 and then you start encroaching on 5.7 territory at some point, and that won't go over well. Same reason why you can't ge a luxurious Tahoe, that's Cadillac territory. Jeep won't offer a truck (yes there is a conversion kit) in general because that's Ram territory etc.
I think jeep recently came out with a truck style including a hemi motor..

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I don't understand why they didn't focus the 4.7L more for the smaller suvs, and even some cars, and leave the hemi to the big heavy trucks, big suvs, and the special models like SRT, RT, etc.

Just seems like a charger with the 4.7L would move out quite well. They pretty much only put the 4.7L in the ram. Then there were a few in dakota's(which was already a dying breed) and the durangos. I don't believe it was in anything else.

Either way, they still have a great line up of engines all and all...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree. Further there is now likely the small diesel to be thrown into that mix.
To the encroaching on the 5.7L point, i wish they would move to the torqier 6.4L for the trucks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Time for a hemi powered Dakota srt!
I have a friend that had a 4.7 and we just did a hemi swap on it. Its pretty much a direct swap we used a wrecked 07 Ram as the doner truck for the new trans and motor. We took the transfer case of his 45RFE and put it on the 54RFE and bolted it in. Then shortly after we dropped in the new motor with a sidewinder cam installed along with a 6.1 timing set. Just waiting on the wiring harness to come back and route up the exaust. Its gonna be a beast!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts