DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
hello have a question for anyone that may have had a similar issue.
I'm in Ontario Canada and I bought a 2013 ram 1500 about 1 year ago.
just last week when I was washing it I found what appeared to be 2 small rust bubbles starting one on the drivers rear wheel well and one in the middle of the front fender. I took it to my local dealer they took a lot of pictures and sent them to headquarters for approval to repair. I heard back the next day that they will fix it by replacing the fender and box side. but they need it for 5 days and will not cover a rental for this period. I am glad they are fixing it. but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?
Wash your truck regularly,methodically,get that wand up underneath the boxsides so you see the water pouring out the other side.Same up front on the fenders,insides of the doors,underneath, the new car washes have the chassis wands,use them,just spend a few extra dollars each trip to the car wash will save you hundreds or thousands in the long run.
I have a '13 with 8xxxx kms,I live in a province that salts the shit out of the roads all winter,drive on gravel regularly,and have zero rust on my truck,my '05 escalade ext I traded on the Ram was rust free as well and it had over 200xxx kms on it when i traded it off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
this winter I found the edge of my hood just over the left head light had blisters in the paint. Went to the dealer and they closed their body shop and sent me to a body shop to look at it. Ram said they would replace the hood ordered the new hood took a paint match and it took this shop four visits to get the paint to match. Warranty covered the whole thing no rental because only in for the day each time. The truck did have undercoating from dodge and 72k on the truck. The dealer was very good through the whole deal the body shop will never see my truck again no matter what.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
this winter I found the edge of my hood just over the left head light had blisters in the paint. Went to the dealer and they closed their body shop and sent me to a body shop to look at it. Ram said they would replace the hood ordered the new hood took a paint match and it took this shop four visits to get the paint to match. Warranty covered the whole thing no rental because only in for the day each time. The truck did have undercoating from dodge and 72k on the truck. The dealer was very good through the whole deal the body shop will never see my truck again no matter what.
I wonder if it was pitting; the hoods are aluminum

·
Registered
119 Posts
Getting a "butt"match from your average bodyshop is next to impossible,you need to find a bodyshop with painters who can actually tint to match.
Problem with most bodyshops is the painters are paid flat rate,they don't get paid to shoot sprayouts,which may take a few tries.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They think moisture got under the paint it was on the outer edge and on the inside of that edge. To get the paint match I took the truck to a paint store that the dealer used and had it matched. They put the machine on the paint and it came up as a chrysler colour. The body shop doing the work doesn't deal with that paint store so different mixes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello have a question for anyone that may have had a similar issue.
I'm in Ontario Canada and I bought a 2013 ram 1500 about 1 year ago.
just last week when I was washing it I found what appeared to be 2 small rust bubbles starting one on the drivers rear wheel well and one in the middle of the front fender. I took it to my local dealer they took a lot of pictures and sent them to headquarters for approval to repair. I heard back the next day that they will fix it by replacing the fender and box side. but they need it for 5 days and will not cover a rental for this period. I am glad they are fixing it. but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?
Rust issues have been a Dodge now RAM problem for years. However, there are things that you can do to not have any. I now own a 2020 Laramie Longhorn, my son owns a 2013 Bighorn, his has no rust at all. He washes it once every two weeks, (Sometimes once a week) he waxes it once a month (Both even in winter) and checks any drainage areas for blockage.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Any of us who drive in the RUST BELTS need a car wash with under body wash for sure!!! And also please don't let your Ram melt off snow in your garage. It will only speed up the RUST process. I have never had my Ram in the garage, and it is a 2012 with 122000 rounds on it, but i have Kwik Trip gas stations in Minnesota with a GREAT under body wash program.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts