DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2014 Ram in June of 2013. Since Nov my tailgate freezes. This has happened routinely when weather dips below the freezing point. The dealer has serviced it six times to no prevail. Outer latches have been replaced. They have no answers. Any ideas?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes

In my book, 6 visits and no fix = entire tailgate replaced under warranty.

Demand it.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
How about spray lubing the snot out of it, mine hasn't froze once yet. I'm talking spraying until it runs out everywhere, wipe up the excess with a rag. I've driven out of car washes in -35C weather and it works effortless.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,432 Posts
They were building 14s in June 13? My 13 was built in June 13 bought it in July 13.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Keep it out of the freezing cold, might help. Move to a warmer climate?
Seriously, not much can be done in your current climate except to use some type of lube on the latches and catches.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Keep it out of the freezing cold, might help. Move to a warmer climate?
Seriously, not much can be done in your current climate except to use some type of lube on the latches and catches.
A tailgate should work fine in all weather including very cold climates. I have had four trucks in the last 20+ years and have never had a tailgate lock up or freeze unless I just got done washing it.

OP are you saying it freezes up as in water gets in there and turns to ice OR it is a mechanical freeze like metal on metal?

·
Registered
124 Posts
There could be some condensation in there and that is freezing. Best thing, if that's the case would be to spray it with a good silicone spray.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very weird...Mine's not frozen up once. There haven't been any tailgate changes in quite a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had it the end latches freeze once. A few thumps with the hands solved it. Don't know if you use a pressure washer which may be driving the water in. As posted, a good shot of silicone spray should solve the issue.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
There are 2 types of silicone spray
food grade silicone does not freeze as quickly
but either will work
food grade silicone can be found at places like Sears & Walmart
just use the DRY silicone spray

·
Registered
345 Posts
I live in Mn and it has been -32897472643098236 F all winter and my gate has worked perfect ... I have also had my gate apart to add a camera and cant see how it could hold water to freeze. the mechanical parts of it are held out in space and water would just run down and away. Im betting there is some type of mechanical issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in WI and same thing - no problems at all, even after going through the car wash at temperatures that drive snowy owls south.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts