DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would start a thread for anyone interested. I've loved watching some of these build threads develop, and they've definitely provided me with some inspiration for my truck. I'll be sure to keep this updated as the build goes along, but for now:

Here's the truck stock, with ICI Magnum RT steps installed:

Added an S&B CAI:

And this is where the truck currently is: Stripped down and in the process of being wrapped. Will post pics when done:

Finally, here is a build list of things being done in the next few weeks:

• 4" Pro Comp Lift
• 18x9 Pro Comp Series 33 Wheels
• 35x12.5x18 Pro Comp Sport AT Tires
• Go Rhino Sport Bar 2.0 Chase Rack / Light Bar
• 50" Rigid Industries Radiance LED Light Bar
• Billet Technologies Catch Can

If you have questions about anything on this build please feel free to hit me up. This forum has been incredibly useful to me, so I'm hoping I can be of some use back!

Cheers,

Jamie

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Looking forward to pics of the finished product.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have you ordered the BT Catch Can already? If not you should check out the Moroso catch can. It's got a drain valve on the bottom that you can put a hose on and drain it to your engine oil drain pan.

With the BT you have to carefully unscrew the canister and remove it from your engine compartment without spilling. Clean it off and re-install each time.

The moroso is the best way to go IMO.

People say in cold climates the moroso drain valve freezes up. I live in Saskatchewan where it gets to -40C and I haven't had an issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ordered the BT Catch Can already? If not you should check out the Moroso catch can. It's got a drain valve on the bottom that you can put a hose on and drain it to your engine oil drain pan.

With the BT you have to carefully unscrew the canister and remove it from your engine compartment without spilling. Clean it off and re-install each time.

The moroso is the best way to go IMO.

People say in cold climates the moroso drain valve freezes up. I live in Saskatchewan where it gets to -40C and I haven't had an issue.
I already ordered the catch can from BT. The had a sale for 40% off all their products, and I just couldn't pass that up!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so, small update:

Finally starting to wrap up the wrap (pun not intended). Absolutely love the way it's turning out, the camera doesn't really do a Matte Metallic color justice. When it's all done, I'll be sure to take some proper pictures:

Also added some Gloss Black OEM badges:

And plasti-dipped the exhaust tips:

I'm not a particularly big fan of plastidip, and I am aware that it may not hold up for long, and that's fine with me. I plan on switching out the exhaust anyway, so this is just a stop gap.

Next up (hopefully next week) is the lift, wheels, tires. Lightbar and rack are on backorder...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since you have it apart why not do a catback exhaust on it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you have it apart why not do a catback exhaust on it?
I had a catback on my last truck and wouldn't do it again. I'm going to switch the muffler out, and redo all the piping forward of the muffler (Y pipe, etc...) but from the muffler backwards, your just paying for the same piping that the truck already has.

But the real reason right now is I just don't know what kind of sound I want. The Borla on my last truck was really aggressive, and was great when I wanted to hear it, but a nightmare on long trips on the highway.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I also vote for removing the tape between the windows and doing it body color, looks very cool BTW.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, another update!

New 4" lift, wheels and tires installed! Made some changes to the specs I listed above. The Pro Comp kit said it came with front struts, but when the shop got it, it didn't. My stock front struts were toast, which I knew before putting on the lift, hence why I chose a kit with replacement struts. The shop didn't even make a fuss over this and just threw on a sweet set of Monroe struts free of charge.

I changed the wheels to a 18x9 Black Rhino Madness with 0 offset. The pictures don't do these wheels (or the truck) justice. They are awesome!

Tires are Toyo Open Country R/T 35x12.5. Also had the speedo recalibrated to adjust for the tires. Pics below:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally installed my BT Catch can today. Install couldn't have been simpler. Went with the satin finish because I'm not that fussed with looks and didn't want to wait any longer for colors. Snagged this when they had the 40% off sale. Pics attached. Also attached a cool pic of the truck.

·
Registered
630 Posts
How much do those wraps cost in general ? I hear pretty close to a paint job.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much do those wraps cost in general ? I hear pretty close to a paint job.
For a 1500 crew cab, it's roughly 3500. This can change pretty drastically depending on the shop you take it to though and the level of detail you get. I have all of the insides of the doors and jambs wrapped for instance, which would increase that price.

One thing to keep in mind is that wraps offer you the ability to have colors that would cost an absolute fortune to paint and some that aren't even available with paint. I have a matte metallic finish, which would be upwards of 10k+ to be done right.

The nice thing is as well, is that if offers a layer of protection for your original paint. When I eventually pull it off, my factory paint will look as good as the day I put the wrap on.

Honestly though, I got mine for free, and if it wasn't free, it certainly wouldn't be something I would have spent the money on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts