DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2014 2500 (bought it in Dec. 2014, so just over a year old and under 9400 miles on it). I got it serviced at 7500 miles back in November for its first service and when I got it back, the dealer didn't rotate the tires because their service just includes an oil change, but I could take it back to them and pay for a tire rotation... That's when I found what I think is a problem. My right front tire is wearing the outer edge of the tire more than the left tire, probably 2-3 times faster. For those that have Transforce A/Ts, after 7500 miles up front, the front right tire was almost worn down to the second stage of the tread bar (the part that is about half the height of the full tread). That tire got put on the left rear and now has about 1 inch of tire that doesn't contact the ground.

The truck drives perfectly straight, returns to center, no bad bump steer or death wobble ever. The driver's tire is wearing great on the front. I figured I would give the rotation a thousand miles and watch closely to see what a different tire did, just to rule out the possibility of a bad tire. Well, the tire now on the right front is doing the exact same thing at the exact same rate, and the drivers side looks great, just like it did before the first rotation. Has anyone had anything like this on their truck? I guess I am outside of the 12 month rule for Ram covering an alignment check, but if it is caster, then is there really anything in an alignment for these trucks that will correct it? Wouldn't it have to be a bad ball joint, wheel bearing, or else an axle housing that was out of wack from the factory? I don't drive the truck hard, it is all stock (as you could probably guess since I'm still running the stock Transforce AT's.. ) I saw some stuff about an eccentric sleeve in the top ball joints on older Dodge Rams, do the newer trucks have anything like this?

I guess I'm wondering if I should even bother with a dealer on this (i.e. will Ram/Mopar help me out on this in anyway with Warranty?), and I'm hoping someone else has resolved this same issue first and can give me some pointers.

If this belongs in another forum, please let me know and I will try to get it moved.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi Hurst89,
I'm sorry to hear about this. Did the Ram dealership perform the alignment? If so, did they offer any information on your concern at all? A tire inspection should have been performed at the time of the rotation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do you by chance make the same sharp right turn into your driveway every night ? My father had a car that did the same thing and they finally figured out it was his repetitive high speed downhill entry into his side-street each evening.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a loop in my driveway, but it is always going about 5 mph when going around it. I thought that for a little bit, but my father has an f150 that had completely even wear across the tires and he pulls into the driveway more than I do. I also noticed a clunking noise whenever the passenger tire drops down in a dip while turning. I'm at the dealership now waiting for the alignment, so hopefully I'll know something shortly. The clunking has me wondering about a bad ball joint.

Hurst

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back from the dealership and it turned out the toe-in was off quite a bit on the right front along with the caster being off on the axle. I hope the alignment sheet comes through alright. The truck definitely tracks a lot more consistently and doesn't wander along the road as badly as it did before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts