DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well for everyone wanting to install tow hooks on a 2014 Express 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with plastic bumper here is what I did to install them. first ordered the hook kit from the dealer then I put truck up on jack stands and removed the black plastic valance insert becareful doing this not to break or bend the metal tabs really not that hard, then I took the hooks and positioned them and the factory bracket that come in the kit now here is where I made a change. I did not like the position of the hooks for good clearance of the bumper to make using a recovery strap so I got some 3/16" X 2" x 36" long angle iron and made up mu own mounting bracket for attaching the hooks to the truck. This takes some care full manufacturing but not that bad but you will need a drill press, sharp 1/2" drill bit, and a nice 1/2" center punch which I bought a complete set from harbor freight this helps get the hole exact position , also a means to cut the angle iron and also to make notches in it so it fits the mounting area, I used a die grinder with cut off wheel from harbor freight to achieve this task. I also made small notch in the top part of the angle iron to match the factory tab on the frame this helps position the hook and keep it from moving which isn't a real problem do to the fact that the holes in the angle iron are tight and not slotted or sloppy like the factory pieces. once I made one angle iron for one side the other side was easy as you have a pattern to go by, then you attach the hooks on one side and take card board and make a template for cutting the plastic insert piece you removed once I made sure the one side fit the tow hook I cut the otherside. Then I removed the hooks and then I placed the plastic insert in place but not completely installed this is done from the back side and takes patients then I snaked the hooks into position and replaced the attaching bolts then once again checking to see if the clearance is what I wanted and then snapped the black plastic insert piece the rest of the way into position. Doing this gave me nice clearance for the hooks and made a nice factory looking job. It is a time consuming job making up the brackets and you really don't need to but I wanted plenty of clearance for hooking the recovery strap to the hooks, I think that the factory brackets will work for most folks and the clearance may vary from truck to truck as the plastic bumpers are not the solidest of bumpers so factory fit may vary from truck to truck plus remember these hooks are not intended for the plastic bumpers but for the chrome metal bumper which may vary in design. the job took me about 8 hrs to complete but I also had gathered all the stuff I needed before starting the job. If you use everything supplied in the kit why you can probably do it in 4 to 6 hours. The hardest part was making the angle iron pieces and the cutting the plastic insert piece so it looked good. I will try and post picture of the pieces I made and also the hooks installed, but I need the wife to post them and she is not home until this evening. Hope this helps others who want the tow hooks with plastic bumpers have any question please e-mail me or call me on my cell phone at 541-892-7114 and I will try and answer and and all questions.

Carol

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the pictures not very good as my camera is just a cheap one. The picture of the angle iron brackets the one on the left is what I made and the one on the right is factory. The reason for making new brackets is because I wanted to raise the position of the hooks to give more clearance for a tow strap to be able to hook on the hooks. Hope this helps and any question feel free to ask me here or by cell phone.

Carol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
69 Charger, Hope these pictures helped explain what I did to mount my tow hooks it really wasn't that hard of a job. The main thing is the fabercating the angle pieces if the factory ones don't give you the clearance you want. Then also cutting the black insert was a little tricky to make it look right. Main thing to remember is make small changes to the parts and making the template. The hooks do fit and will sure be nice if you ever need a pull from the front and makes spending the time worth the while.

Carol

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I know that my '09 Ram may be slightly different then the 2013 - 2015 Ram bumpers

Here is a pix or 2 of mine

someone should post some images of how to remove that plastic panel, or at least explain it in detail

The dealership did the complete install on mine

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on my 2014 the trim piece pops off the tabs, it is a little tricky but it comes off have to use a small flat tip screw driver to get it started at one edge and then come across the top or bottom to the other side. be patient and careful. It will also try your patients when installing it back on. Just take your time and work slow it helps to have a second person when doing this. Good luck hope this helps.

Carol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fire Medic, I forgot to mention that the trim piece is removed from the rear or inside between the bumper and front suspension. You also have to put it back in from the rear do not snap it back in position until the hooks are in place you have to thread the hooks in through the holes in the trim piece from the back side and then put the nuts and bolts on loosely and then once they are in place tighten them down and if happy with the fit of them then snap the trim piece back in position. I had to take my hooks and plastic piece out several time before I was completely satisfied with everything. It is not a had installation just time consuming. Good luck to all any question just ask me and I'll do my best to help out. oh I could have had the dealer install them but being a cheap skate and liking to do my own work I did it my self. they wanted3 to 4 hours at there shop rate.

Carol

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Great writeup, I've been thinking about adding hooks to my sport.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Biga, I don't know how much difference the bumper is on the Sport compared to the Express but I would think they are the same especially if it is plastic. I would not be with out the tow hooks on any truck especially if you use it off the hard surface roads. I was out in the snow with my son in law with his ford f 150 he slid off the snow pack road I was behind him and had no way to get turned around and no way to hook my recovery strap to the rear trailer hitch on his truck so we spent 4 hrs digging him out and moving him back until we got him back on the hard surface. That is when I found out there is no place to hook a recovery strap on the front of the Ram with a plastic bumper without tearing up the front plastic bumper or other plastic trim. So the hook installation is well worth the money and effort, if you don't feel comfortable doing your installation then check with your Dodge dealer they would have installed mine for a charge. I have the tools and like doing my own work plus fabercating is one thing I enjoy. Have any question give me a shout here or by cell phone. 541-892-7114.

Carol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Looks great. I can't believe front tow hooks are not standard equipment on a truck. Every truck should have them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Themystro, I agree 100% especially a 4x4 truck but then to make it the project they do when you want to install them is completely nonsense. But I guess it is just a profit margin thing for the manufacture.

Carol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great write up I know it’s old but I’m about to install new tow hooks on my 2015 ram 1500 Express. This was helpful thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts