DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab Express
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ram 5.7 that had a lifter fail on cylinder #8 and shaved a camshaft. Swapped out the engine with another 5.7L junk yard engine since time was VERY limited (1st baby born during middle of engine swap).

Anyway, I am wanting to rebuild my old 5.7L and install it in my 2003 Dakota I've have for 15yrs. My 5.7L had 203k on it before the lifter failed so the block will be torn down, cleaned, checked, and rebuilt. Can you guys recommend two rebuild kits? I'm struggling between two options and wondering if I am missing out on something better/ cheaper.

As of right now I do not have nitrous or a supercharger in the plan for the HEMI. I am thinking about a 6.4L cam, or comp cam 270, and 392 intake. The Dakota will have longtubes, H-pipe with duals dumped before rear tires, VVT phaser limiter, MDS deleted, T56 manual transmission, and possibly Holly's Terminator X Max system.

Option 1: Rebuild with stock spec internals for $700 and get the Dakota running much sooner. Looking at Enginetech RCCR345XP.

Option 2: Rebuild with 368ci stroker setup from SCAT with a balanced crankshaft for $2,300.

I know this forum is for Ram but I figured you all might have more info on rebuild kits here.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm more curious as to how you plan to integrate and control a fly-by-wire CAN bus VVT engine (with what trans) into your PCI bus truck lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well fer me it would come down to dollars and cents. I currently have a 2002 4wd Durango for sale and if I can get $2800 for it I'm happy. So putting over 2k into a motor and all that time to figure things out just aint worth it. I had a 98 Dakota I think it was with the 318 and it had more power than I needed. I currently have 2 vehicles with the 5.7 and one is a 2500 and so far has enough power for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts