DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 23 yr old son was so excited when he came home with his 2014 1500 Ram. 8 speed electronic transmission with the dial on the dash. He absolutely babies this truck. Suddenly overnight, the truck won't start, and the transmission dial won't turn. The small town dealership claims that the valve body or transmission need to be changed out. The worst part is, when he bought the truck from the Ram dealership, He bought the $3,000 extended warranty, which he was led to believe would cover all issues with the truck. Now they're saying that it needs a transmission or a valve body and it won't be covered with his extended warranty. His warranty is supposedly good for 125,000 km, the truck barely turned over 100,000 km. My son is devastated and he can't afford a transmission or a valve body. What is going on with this truck?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The transmission dial won’t turn unless the truck is running. I dont see how the transmission would cause the truck to not start. How is the battery on the truck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike. He's in Canada and I'm in Arizona, So I'm kind of trying to help him long distance. The first thing I suggested is that he changed the battery and he did that yesterday. The truck still won't start. He says he did not park it in Drive. I'm trying to get a hold of him to determine if the truck even turns over or if he has absolutely nothing. I'll be chatting with him again tonight. The worst thing for him is, the dealership in his small town, tells him that it isn't covered under warranty, and it's all doom and gloom, needing a new transmission or valve body...

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
With the 8 speed trans if the ignition is turned off while the truck is still in gear it will automatically put it into park and flash a message at you from the screen. It will also make you wait a bit to allow you turn the key all the way off so it can be removed from the ignition.

Is the warranty dealer specific third party warranty or one issued or one through fca? I’ve got an extended warranty from fca and can take it to any fca dealership. That also means I can contact fca about the matter.
Being an electronically controlled trans it may be possible that the trans is the problem, I call bs on that from what you’ve said. To me it sounds like the dealership is trying to gouge him or too incompetent to know what they’re doing. How far away is the next dealership? It might be worth while to tow it to another one. I would highly suggest contacting fca and talking to them about it. Since he’s in Canada fca of Canada would be the ones he needs to contact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He bought the used truck from the Ram dealership. He asked for and paid for the best possible extended warranty that he could get included in the sale. I believe it's a Chrysler warranty. I suggested to him also to take it into the city, for a more experienced opinion. He is getting absolutely no action on the ignition. The only time he gets anything on the screen as if he turns on the lights. He's getting a 'service transmission' notification. I asked him if he possibly shut the truck off in Drive, he told me that it is in Park because he had to use the bypass switch to get it out of Park to get it onto the tow truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a copy of the purchase contract with the warranty identification numbers. Are you a Dodge Tech or someone in the know? Or rather an interested person?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Just an interested person. I've had some ruff dealings with the dealership and fica over my 2014 1500 with the 8 speed trans.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
A detailed copy of the warranty showing what it covers would be helpful for you to have to see if it really is or isn't covered so you know what he is legally entitled to with the warranty.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My 23 yr old son was so excited when he came home with his 2014 1500 Ram. 8 speed electronic transmission with the dial on the dash. He absolutely babies this truck. Suddenly overnight, the truck won't start, and the transmission dial won't turn. The small town dealership claims that the valve body or transmission need to be changed out. The worst part is, when he bought the truck from the Ram dealership, He bought the $3,000 extended warranty, which he was led to believe would cover all issues with the truck. Now they're saying that it needs a transmission or a valve body and it won't be covered with his extended warranty. His warranty is supposedly good for 125,000 km, the truck barely turned over 100,000 km. My son is devastated and he can't afford a transmission or a valve body. What is going on with this truck?
Hey @Matticus Maximus - I am very sorry to hear of the trouble your son is experiencing. Please know that he may reach out to our Canadian Customer Care team for further support while working with the dealer! That number is 1-800-361-3700.

Mark
RamCares

·
Super Moderator
34,560 Posts
Typically if a truck won't start you look at stuff like the starter, battery (already ruled that out) and fuel pump, not the transmission. If you pop the plastic panel above the parking brake release handle off the manual override lever for the transmission is behind it.

This dealer sounds super sketchy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Copy that my friend, but it's not that it won't start, It won't even turn over. It's acting like the ECU believes that it's in drive or in gear and won't allow it to even turn over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey @Matticus Maximus - I am very sorry to hear of the trouble your son is experiencing. Please know that he may reach out to our Canadian Customer Care team for further support while working with the dealer! That number is 1-800-361-3700.

Mark
RamCares
Thank you Mark. I will call this number. I did get ahold of the Prince George BC Service Manager and he seems willing to help us out. The biggest concern that I have so far Mark is that when my son bought this truck at the dealership, he and his mother both were sitting in the office and they were sold an extended warranty by the dealership which they were told would cover all major repairs. Now here we are with a transmission issue, the second most important component in the whole vehicle and there is evidently a debate. The end result of this issue will either have Chrysler a customer for life, or a one-time customer who will never buy again. And that goes for his dad too because I drive Ram.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Thank you Mark. I will call this number. I did get ahold of the Prince George BC Service Manager and he seems willing to help us out. The biggest concern that I have so far Mark is that when my son bought this truck at the dealership, he and his mother both were sitting in the office and they were sold an extended warranty by the dealership which they were told would cover all major repairs. Now here we are with a transmission issue, the second most important component in the whole vehicle and there is evidently a debate. The end result of this issue will either have Chrysler a customer for life, or a one-time customer who will never buy again. And that goes for his dad too because I drive Ram.
Your concerns are completely warranted, @Matticus Maximus. I do apologize and wish that I was able to do more from my end to move this along. However, it is certainly reassuring to hear that you have been in touch with further support already. We are always available via PM if you happen to have any additional questions at this time that we may be able to assist with.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 as well and one day it wouldn’t do anything. The doors would even unlock unless manually done. I don’t believe it’s the tranny at all. I’m goin with electrical. Mine was a wire that was corroded that was located between the back cab walls behind the seat. I would definitely get a second opinion and tell the dealership they can fit the bill to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitely electrical and sounds like a sensor. try Crank Position Sensor (CPS) some might even say Throttle Position Sensor as well. A proper scan should reveal that it's not the transmission. I can't believe the transmission would be at fault here. As for the warranty...dealers suck. I'm sorry to hear about that. Absolute den of thieves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please keep us updated on the issue because I'm dreading this happening to me but have been very much expecting it to.

·
Registered
16" Tradesman, Hemi, Ram Box
3 Posts
It could also have to do with the ignition switch. Once is every 25 times or so, I turn my key and nothing. No dash lights, nothing. The only thing that lights up are all the gear indicators over the dial. Usually, if I take the key out and try again it works. There are 2 or three parts that directly affect the ignition. Also, if key fob battery is weak, I have heard it may have a similar effect. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts