DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, if the steering wheel is not level (like you are driving straight forward), my truck will not start. It won’t do anything. I have to manually turn the wheels until it “squares up” and then it starts. I hope this might help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the 8 speed trans if the ignition is turned off while the truck is still in gear it will automatically put it into park and flash a message at you from the screen. It will also make you wait a bit to allow you turn the key all the way off so it can be removed from the ignition.

Is the warranty dealer specific third party warranty or one issued or one through fca? I’ve got an extended warranty from fca and can take it to any fca dealership. That also means I can contact fca about the matter.
Being an electronically controlled trans it may be possible that the trans is the problem, I call bs on that from what you’ve said. To me it sounds like the dealership is trying to gouge him or too incompetent to know what they’re doing. How far away is the next dealership? It might be worth while to tow it to another one. I would highly suggest contacting fca and talking to them about it. Since he’s in Canada fca of Canada would be the ones he needs to contact.
I’d like to know the outcome of this warranty wise as well as what is the problem? Or the culprit. I would be very highly upset if the extended warranty did not cover the transmission. Sounds like an aftermarket or 3rd party warranty or there is customer abuse or neglect. Please let me know what happens. I have 2-2017 Ram 3500 with the factory extended bumper to number warranties. I get them from the maker because I was left holding the bag on a 2006 Ford F-350 and I don’t plan on ever doing that again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 23 yr old son was so excited when he came home with his 2014 1500 Ram. 8 speed electronic transmission with the dial on the dash. He absolutely babies this truck. Suddenly overnight, the truck won't start, and the transmission dial won't turn. The small town dealership claims that the valve body or transmission need to be changed out. The worst part is, when he bought the truck from the Ram dealership, He bought the $3,000 extended warranty, which he was led to believe would cover all issues with the truck. Now they're saying that it needs a transmission or a valve body and it won't be covered with his extended warranty. His warranty is supposedly good for 125,000 km, the truck barely turned over 100,000 km. My son is devastated and he can't afford a transmission or a valve body. What is going on with this truck?
i know this might sound too easy but check all fuses on my sons 2019 ram fuse 35 would not let the truck start

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d like to know the outcome of this warranty wise as well as what is the problem? Or the culprit. I would be very highly upset if the extended warranty did not cover the transmission. Sounds like an aftermarket or 3rd party warranty or there is customer abuse or neglect. Please let me know what happens. I have 2-2017 Ram 3500 with the factory extended bumper to number warranties. I get them from the maker because I was left holding the bag on a 2006 Ford F-350 and I don’t plan on ever doing that again.
Get your money back for the warranty and buy a Chrysler warranty its $60 month

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your tranny trouble, Maximus. I would be more inclined to look and clean all the plug in connections on the trans. Maybe with 100k miles one of them leaked and some water got in there causing a false signal to the computer.
Also as a new Ram buyer I would like to know if anybody else has had trouble with this warranty. I am considering the same warranty but listening to these horror stories kind of helps you make up your mind. Especially as these warranties are so expensive. I paid an extra 1k for a rust thru warranty only to find out when they sent me the warranty that the back fenders aren't covered. I specifically asked the salesman about that and was assured it was covered. Funny thing was there were no warranty papers available to read before the sale. All I had was his word on what was covered. Mine is a '19 Ram 2500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It might be possible that the that the security system might not be reading the key and not allowing the truck to crank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 23 yr old son was so excited when he came home with his 2014 1500 Ram. 8 speed electronic transmission with the dial on the dash. He absolutely babies this truck. Suddenly overnight, the truck won't start, and the transmission dial won't turn. The small town dealership claims that the valve body or transmission need to be changed out. The worst part is, when he bought the truck from the Ram dealership, He bought the $3,000 extended warranty, which he was led to believe would cover all issues with the truck. Now they're saying that it needs a transmission or a valve body and it won't be covered with his extended warranty. His warranty is supposedly good for 125,000 km, the truck barely turned over 100,000 km. My son is devastated and he can't afford a transmission or a valve body. What is going on with this truck?
A pity ... my first car was from the year 73 ... it was much easier to fix ... sometimes I did it and myself.
I don't want to not know how much the new transmission cost.
good luck with that...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does he have "Push button Start", or is there a key. If Push button start, and the battery in the key fob is dead, it won't sense the key FOB present....and will say Key fob not present on the dash. I am pretty sure that no matter what might be wrong with a tranny, it won't keep the dash from coming alive. All the RAMs will show the odometer when you turn on the head/parking lights. With a dead key FOB battery, you can use the bottom of the FOB to push the start button. It contains a RFID chip and will let the truck start. I had body work done on my truck, and when they welded some studs to pull a dent, it fried the BCM (Body Control Module) which prevented the normal start with the push button, but pushing the button with the FOB started the truck..

The warranty issue is a problem in itself.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your tranny trouble, Maximus. I would be more inclined to look and clean all the plug in connections on the trans. Maybe with 100k miles one of them leaked and some water got in there causing a false signal to the computer.
Also as a new Ram buyer I would like to know if anybody else has had trouble with this warranty. I am considering the same warranty but listening to these horror stories kind of helps you make up your mind. Especially as these warranties are so expensive. I paid an extra 1k for a rust thru warranty only to find out when they sent me the warranty that the back fenders aren't covered. I specifically asked the salesman about that and was assured it was covered. Funny thing was there were no warranty papers available to read before the sale. All I had was his word on what was covered. Mine is a '19 Ram 2500.
Hi @Rlaman821 - Please know that we are always here to provide you with additional support should you ever need to work with your dealer down the road. Feel free to send us a PM at any time.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
9 Posts
not sure this is your problem, however, it very well could be as it happened to me once years ago.
If his ignition turns on and everything else appears normal except it won't turn over, have him check the brake light switch. Sounds crazy, but, if it isn't adjusted so it engages (allows juice) or is shot altogether it won't turn over. Thats why you need to step on the brakes to start and switch gears.
if the switch went, it may have shut down in gear and now won't allow start up.
Just a thought. Good luck.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I bought the Chrysler powertrain warranty when I bought my truck. It has come in handy so far. I just used it a couple weeks ago to replace the exhaust manifold bolts again as well as both exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
There could be an issue with whatever controls the signal from the brake pedal to let the shifter know if is safe to engage the trans as we all know without this signal you will not be able to shift.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts