DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is normal/too high temp for a 2014 Ram V-6? The first pic is after @ 10 minutes on the road @ 60 mph. Second is after @ 20 minutes at @ 60 mph. Haven’t monitored this much before and have never had any issues with this truck. Thanks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
First, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Your temp. looks a little high to me. Is your coolant at the proper level? Do you have the active grille shutters? If so, possibly they're not opening, blocking air flow through the radiator. Also could be a sticking thermostat or collapsing hose. If you don't find the problem after checking all the above, you might want to get the cooling system pressure tested. Also the radiator itself may be partially stopped up.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You have your pictures reversed. The first picture has the greater milage. As for the temps the trans temp is awfully high for only being on the road for 10 minutes. Can't really attest to what a V6 should be running temp wise, but my 5.7 V8 coolant always runs around 195 and trans temp is below 150 during normal highway driving.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,279 Posts
I don't have a v-6, but I've never had a trans temp higher than 180 or so, even fully laden and pulling long upgrades in the middle of summer.
You should be able to find the temp rating of the OEM thermostat for your engine, and if everything is working as it should, the coolant temp should never really vary much more than just a few degrees either side of that.
If it does, @MOFOGO 's list would be the things to check. I'd only add to check the simple stuff first, like coolant level, and don't forget to take a look to be sure your radiator isn't full of bugs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those temps are fine for the 3.6 and are normal operating temps.. cooling fans don’t kick on until 226 if I recall.

·
Registered
‘17 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x2 5.7 Hemi
30 Posts
I’m not a big worrier since I know the trucks go into limp mode if temps get to high as to protect itself. With that kinda mileage I’m hoping I get near that high of mileage on the truck. Lol. i Might have missed it as to if your V-6 is the flex-fuel or the 3.0 eco v-6. Sorry if I missed which you have. With that kinda mileage on the truck and as others have said, I’d start with checking the coolant and see if needing changed or what. I recall years ago we had a coolant tester, one that you used to suck up some coolant into and the little balls would float etc and it helped to see what the coolant operation range was but I was in Alaska at the time and I’m not a mechanic in the least. Hoping you get it figured out though. Keep posted if you find the issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would be concerned about the oil pressure. I have 2014 3.6 and my oil pressure is higher at first and then settles down to 40 psi after warming up. I do run full synthetic. Temps looks a little high.

·
Registered
2014 Bighorn 3.6 Pentastar
148 Posts
Those temps look normal.
I was towing a 4600# trailer into a 20 MPH wind on 90 east to Wisconsin.
The coolant hovered around 226 and the oil would jump to 240 or higher on hills.
The two speed oil pump kept the pressure up at 50-60 PSI.
The transmission was usually in 4th or 5th gear and RPM's we're at 4 or 5k

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would be concerned about the oil pressure. I have 2014 3.6 and my oil pressure is higher at first and then settles down to 40 psi after warming up. I do run full synthetic. Temps looks a little high.
attached is my 2014 3.6 readings.
gauges.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts