DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is interested in buying a family member's RAM to tow a small couples trailer, but I was surprised to find the low tow rating of 4400, and max payload of 1794. The rear axle gearing is 3.21, and has the 8-speed transmission. It already has the electric trailer brake controller. He would be the only person in the tow, and he weighs maybe 175. I have recommended several campers with a dry weight of around 3,000-3,500.

I'm wondering, after he loads his personal items, cookware, camp gear, are even those too heavy?

Girlfriend is a traveling nurse, so the use would be two adults the majority of the time. Not a lot of options for them with that truck. He has zero towing experience and this mama is a little rattled. lol Would love some feedback on your thoughts of this truck and those camper weights.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm now brutally honest- and that's why I got into it with several members here, who love to nice-talk their truck, ignoring my input, because it was not, what they wanted to hear.
Your advantage: you ask before you buy- a big plus for you.

Fact is- and I speak from experience: once you go into camping, you will find out, the little bed-bomb you pull behind just doesn't do it and when you see all those nice campers on the camp ground, which do not even cost much more than your bed bomb, there are not many, not wanting to upgrade soon, just to find out, as the camping world sales guy said: "it'll tow it"- he lied.

The V6 it self might be a nice engine, when you use it as runnaround and pulling maybe a lawnmower trailer or a pop-up.
But when it comes to 4000# and more, wait, when your first hill climbing challenge sets in- I ended up pulling someone's trailer up the hill on the camp ground, because his superior V6 just didn't do it- and the guy said to his wife for everyone to hear: that's the last time I listened to you, when it comes buying a truck.

do yourself a favor and tell him to get a Hemi. It's big enough to pull anything desirable and you never run out of power. I could write another book here- but I don't.

I thought, back then, the 4.7 is plenty. Yes, it pulled the 7000# loaded weight camper. But up the hill with 5000 rpm's made even my wife say: I think, we need a bigger truck....
I had then a 8500# loaded weight 35ft camper and on normal roads, after I bought the Hemi, I didn't even notice it behind us- hills- no problems and even the fuel mileage was great with 12-13mpg.

I was kicked out of the camper forum, because I got into it with an admin, claiming, anything below a 3500 dually with Cummins should not even has a tow hook as option. I believe, the 1500's are very well capable towing, if you're not planning to buy a 45ft 16000# fifth wheel. But with the right engine.
Don't buy a V6, when you intend to tow anything.

At the end, your choice, your money, your experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fact is- and I speak from experience: once you go into camping, you will find out, the little bed-bomb you pull behind just doesn't do it and when you see all those nice campers on the camp ground, which do not even cost much more than your bed bomb, there are not many, not wanting to upgrade soon, just to find out, as the camping world sales guy said: "it'll tow it"- he lied.

The V6 it self might be a nice engine, when you use it as runnaround and pulling maybe a lawnmower trailer or a pop-up.
But when it comes to 4000# and more, wait, when your first hill climbing challenge sets in- I ended up pulling someone's trailer up the hill on the camp ground, because his superior V6 just didn't do it- and the guy said to his wife for everyone to hear: that's the last time I listened to you, when it comes buying a truck.

do yourself a favor and tell him to get a Hemi. It's big enough to pull anything desirable and you never run out of power. I could write another book here- but I don't.
Thanks for your response. I really can't agree with your "bed bomb", which I assume is your term for a small camper, due to the fact I own a [email protected] and have for ten years. Coming from a Class C motor home, I love the tiny [email protected] and use it much more often than I did the motor home.

I agree about the Hemi. I own one. However, the V6 is already in the family so not a new purchase. He won't tow a 4k lb trailer. With his gear, it may approach that weight. He doesn't know, having not decided on a trailer and knowing what his gear will weigh. GF will also have a lot of their things in her vehicle. I'm familiar with the weight police because I admin a camping group. lol

This may factor in and may not....they will drive to a point where they will be stationary for 13 weeks, and then drive to another location.

This is why I'm asking here, and I appreciate your feedback on the limits of this truck. It's appreciated.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
He won't tow a 4k lb trailer.

:LOL: ....yet. Maybe, maybe not. But a Truck is something more long term- and when you see the prices of the trucks- why spending almost the same amount for a very limited capability, when you can get for a similar price the real thing, which makes you prepared for everything which may, or may not, come? I just don't understand it. - Family owned or not. But the one with the money has the say so, what it's spend on.

This is why I'm asking here, and I appreciate your feedback on the limits of this truck. It's appreciated.

You're welcome

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"But a Truck is something more long term- and when you see the prices of the trucks- why spending almost the same amount for a very limited capability, when you can get for a similar price the real thing, which makes you prepared for everything which may, or may not, come? I just don't understand it. - Family owned or not."

That's the key. I totally agree. However, I doubt he will find a truck that's "almost the same amount". This 2014 was purchased for $19k in 2016 and has only 50k miles, and so he's paying less than that today.

I doubt he can get a truck for under $25k. If he had 6 months to a year to shop, possibly. That's basically how I bought mine. I told the dealer what I would pay, and my must-haves, and to call me if and when he located one. Due to work, he doesn't have that option.

Would really be nice if he could.... And maybe he could later, but I doubt they'll be doing this 1.5 year from now.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I understand the money part.
But as I said- you have a truck- sooner or later, you want to do truck- stuff with it.
You have a easy position- you own a Hemi- you're not running out of possibilities any time soon.
Breaking it over the knee is never a good idea- most likely, you will regret it later.
I paid for my 2014 3 years ago $27000 and it was an absolute great deal. - I mean- crew cab, 4x4, 6'4" bed and tow package- exactly, how I wanted, and with ~40000 miles on it. It was a rental actually. I never regretted the buy- so far, best vehicle I ever owned.
Right now, I believe the used trucks are out there like sand on the beach, due to the Gen5 or people just upgrade for a last layout of Gen4. I also believe, that this will get the prices down a little bit.
If they can, I would urge to think about using the money they have as down payment and just finance the rest- yes- nobody wants to have payments- but if I have the choice, between a few years paying and having the right vehicle and not paying and having just half of everything, I'd choose the payments.
But that's always up to the buyer.
I'd at least would consider the options. Just check out the rental companies- you will find everything in a relatively good price range. I bought from the dealer- but I already had a eye on a rental- the reason, why I didn't go with the rental company was simply- the dealer was 30 miles away, the lot for the rental company (enterprise) 100 miles- and the dealer had exact the same truck on the lot for a similar price.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Maybe he could borrow the Ram for next weekend & rent a similar trailer to what he has in mind
The first weekend in July may be too crowded for someone that is inexperienced with towing

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe he could borrow the Ram for next weekend & rent a similar trailer to what he has in mind
The first weekend in July may be too crowded for someone that is inexperienced with towing

That's a great idea- I would even go that far, that I would rent 2 vehicles for a day each and tow with both to see the difference- for someone, who never did any truck stuff, the 3.6 might seem great- but only, as long as you did not experience, what the Hemi does.

I explicit want to point out, that I'm not totally against the 3.6. It's a great engine (in my opinion for smaller vehicles- but that's in the eye of the beholder).
The 3.6 is a base engine in a truck for people, who don't do nothing, but every once in a while getting some mulch or pulling the yard trailer with the riding lawnmower to mother in law. Or people, who simply like to drive in a truck for long distances ( I believe, with 65mph and cruise control in Arizona, there should not be any noticeable difference- except the rpm's maybe).
But in the moment, when you really think about doing truck stuff- I say, the 3.6 is not the right choice. And before I would buy a Laramy Platinum with 3.6, I would buy the Big Horn with Hemi or the Eco Diesel.

Here some prices for 2014 RAM's:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...electingHelper.selectedEntity=d2110&zip=29642

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
In Arizona, there is a highway that is a real test for vehicles of any kind
It goes from Phoenix to Flagstaff, it is the I-17

Most States would have similar roads, near my place, there is a 6 lane highway that goes from 850 foot level up to 4,200 feet within 30 miles. Going the opposite way, it goes from below sea level up to the 3,200 foot level in 18 miles :doh:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On the good side, its got plenty of payload. People often have plenty of power but do they have the payload? By the time you throw a bunch of stuff in the bed and a few people in the cab they are often over the payload of the hemi half ton.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Have your son rent a trailer that he as in mind. Take the family members 3.6 and tow it and then let him use your Hemi to try. Seems pretty easy to figure out from there.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My son is interested in buying a family member's RAM to tow a small couples trailer, but I was surprised to find the low tow rating of 4400, and max payload of 1794. The rear axle gearing is 3.21, and has the 8-speed transmission. It already has the electric trailer brake controller. He would be the only person in the tow, and he weighs maybe 175. I have recommended several campers with a dry weight of around 3,000-3,500.

I'm wondering, after he loads his personal items, cookware, camp gear, are even those too heavy?

Girlfriend is a traveling nurse, so the use would be two adults the majority of the time. Not a lot of options for them with that truck. He has zero towing experience and this mama is a little rattled. lol Would love some feedback on your thoughts of this truck and those camper weights.

Will the truck pull a tiny camper?
Yes.

so to can an overweight, middle aged, 2pack a day smoker "run"
just not fast, for very far or very long b4 he dies.
same for the V-6.

you know this or you would not ask the orignal question,.
something is telling you....WAIT A MINUTE

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Will the truck pull a tiny camper?
Yes.

so to can an overweight, middle aged, 2pack a day smoker "run"
just not fast, for very far or very long b4 he dies.
same for the V-6.

you know this or you would not ask the orignal question,.
something is telling you....WAIT A MINUTE

I also want to mention- the use of the vehicle will include longer stays in a camper- a camper in size, towable for the V6 is very small. I lived for 1 year in a camper, while building my house- But mine was a 35-footer with rear kitchen and no bunks. And I sold it after the year living in it, because I was done camping after that. If you really plan on living in it or use it, as described, don't let yourself fool into those tiny extralite campers, saying- oh- we don't need more- I give you 2 months in it and you might not admit it, but you will think about, what big mistake you made- and then you're stuck- not only because you can't sell it and buy a bigger one without loosing a lot of money- but you're still limited because your truck is not capable for more and you would also have to upgrade the truck, loosing even more money.
sometimes, you gotta do, what you gotta do.

I just wanted to throw that in for consideration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts