DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mates
Truck has 112000kms or 69593miles. I can hear growling noise when driving, and turning can make it worse. so here goes my questions.
(1). what's the part number for front wheel bearings? (68267298AD )?
(2). I know this is a wild shot, but I'm planning to DIY this one, I figured the hardest part will be if the hub/bearing is stuck to CV axles, how is your experience on that?
(2). I've been reading about this on the internet and saw someone mentioned you can also grease a 1500? how? I'd like to that going forward.
Thanks in advance and happy driving.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 8Spd
202 Posts
1: id buy something aftermarket, the factory is expensive for a off the shelf part
2: diy is easy if hub is hung up use a 3 jaw puller to coax the axle out
3: there are no Grease points on the factory parts on a 1500

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
So does it change pitch when driving? Does it make more noise doing one corner IE:left vs right? Does it growl more in a corner say across a 4 laner where you might do 40 vs 20 around a corner? Loosen the axle nut and if you need to find a board and give the end of axle a couple whacks. Shot or 2 of some kind of break free lube will help. As for the part, Rockauto is a good source as is amazon if you can wait a few days. Also your local parts stores like autozone or Oreillys or advance. If noise is louder making a left, its the right bearing and vise versa.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your input guys!
I've been training my ear the past few days while driving. lol let me be clear, it's not that loud as it just started doing this. I can't hear anything while had my windows down as the wind noise will bury the growling noise. I can hear it when the engine is under 1500rpm at speeds above 40km/h. It seems the noise is slightly larger when I turn right so likely driver side. by turn right, I mean at speeds such as freeway off ramp. no clunking/clicking noise. I jacked up each corner yesterday to do the shake test and hold the spring to feel the vibration, nothing. sems it's at the very early stage of something go bad. I'll take off wheels/brake rotor/caliper brackets to further diagnose.
In general, how long are this bearings good for? stock truck used by family.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
86 Posts
Just had the dealership replace mine, it was covered under the service contract...

Mine is a '14 with 78k miles.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you have to get a new hub, get it thru rockauto dot com. I was quoted by the dealer $600 for an off shore bearing plus $600 labor for my 07 Mega Cab and I got a Timken USA made hub assembly for just over $200 delivered to the door. Did the change myself In cold weather outside.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Thanks for all your input guys!
In general, how long are this bearings good for? stock truck used by family.
Thanks
I think how long they last I think is a crap shoot. I have never changed a wheel hub/bearing on any vehicle and I have owned and put over 300,000 miles on one and 179,000 on another with lower mileage on others.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The hubs are greaseable thru the ABS sensor port in the hub. This will extend the range for the hubs. I changed one on the drivers side of my 15 Ecodiesel at about 50k kms.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I jack up my front end, took it all apart yesterday to isolate the brake rubbing noise when hand turning the wheels, also did the shake test, nothing, seems my suspension was wrong. I listened harder and the noise may come from back end. noise seems at it's loudest at around 70-90 km/h (43mph - 55mph). deaccelerating seems slightly louder but that could very well be lack of engine noise when deaccelerating. but my feeling is over all, the noise is pretty consistent and proportional to speed. what could it be?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts