DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 2wd Lonestar edition. I have the eight speed automatic transmission. The truck just turned over 150,000 miles.The issue I’m having is the transmission is shuttering in lower gears at lower speeds. At times it almost feels like you’re driving over rumble strips while switching gears. Anybody who could help me out with this issue would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am not a transmission expert so don't have any advice. I just have a question. Have you ever changed the transmission fluid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I don’t see any leakage so I wasn’t to concerned about low fluid levels but maybe I am not knowing all there is about how they work

·
Registered
447 Posts
No. I don’t see any leakage so I wasn’t to concerned about low fluid levels but maybe I am not knowing all there is about how they work
From reading on this Forum, even though Ram states the transmission fluid is lifetime, lifetime really isn't 150,000 miles. Many here state the transmission fluid should be changed every 60-75 thousand miles depending on usage (towing, stop and go traffic etc.....)

·
Registered
7 Posts
What you're feeling is the converter clutch chattering try a bottle of the black LUBEGARD® Highly Friction Modified (HFM) Automatic Transmission Supplement . This will have to be added cold with the engine running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will try that. This is probably a temporary fix. But if I can maybe get a few more miles that would be great.

·
Super Moderator
34,387 Posts
Transmission fluid and filter changes are part of regular maintenance. You may want to pull the trans fill plug and check the level

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the exact same issue but I have a 6 speed 2014 2500. I just changed the fluid and filter at 60k just to be safe. I am 500 miles into the new fluid and it will still do the shudder.
I can make it shudder if I turn onto a street at about 20 mph and then moderately heavy accelerate...it wants to kick down, but can't. If I stick with the accelerator long enough I will lose enough speed and it will shift down and roar back to life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2014 8 speed does not have a fill tube or drain... the plastic pan/filter combo has to be dropped and replaced with a new one, then pump in new fluid... I used Valvoline instead of the much more costly RAM fluid... look for the compatible Valvoline Trans Fluid, it will say in the specs on the jug... I forget which Valvoline it is, but have almost 30K on it so I know it works. there is a youtube guy that gave me that idea... 60K to 75K is when it should be changed, although RAM says never, or 100K whatever comes first LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
At just over 100K miles I'm experiencing the same issue on my '14 Laramie 1500. Dealer said "this is normal" and don't worry about it. I ask for a tranny fluid change at 100K miles and was told lifetime oil in tranny so no need to change. Guess I'll have to go the route of changing out the fluid my self too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure you follow the correct procedure on how to do it or you can damage this transmission. There are you tube videos showing how to do it. Also make sure you use the correct trans fluid too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will I have to remove any fluid to add it? Is my transmission able to remove fluid? I am not seeing a drain plug

·
Registered
574 Posts
you need to remove and replace pan with built in filters, read the advice already giving to you such as the reference to checking out youtube for the proper procedure...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts