DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

So a couple of months ago my TPMS lights started blinking and dinging in the dash sporadically. The problem went away but then came back last weekend. Then all of a sudden I started getting error codes to "service transmission, continue in drive", "service shifter", "service 4wd system", and took it into the dealer on Monday. They said they fixed the problem, it was bent pins on one of the wiring harnesses that goes into the ECU I believe. I took the truck home Wednesday, and the same problem popped up again after driving over train tracks. I took it back in the same day, and heard back from them yesterday. I have an aftermarket stereo installed in the truck, and they said that if the problem was created due to the stereo, then it won't be covered under warranty. (the truck has 42,000km on it and is less than 2 years old, and I purchased the extended warranty from Chrysler when I bought the truck.) So they called me today and said their technician was having a hell of a time finding the problem. He had the truck all taken apart and was checking all the wiring that was done to install the aftermarket stereo. (the only things that were touched to install it were the speaker wires running to and from the speakers, and the system was installed over a year ago with no problems.) So now, they are potentially trying to blame the fact that I put an aftermarket stereo in the truck to cover themselves because they can't find the problem, and possibly saying that it was due to the stereo, but I won't find out until Tuesday.

Has anyone else dealt with any other problems like this with their vehicles? The only other thing I changed in the truck was I put in LED headlights & foglights, and LED license plate lights. (again, this was over a year ago)

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I really don't want to get screwed by the dealership saying that I owe thousands of dollars for the repair costs because they try to blame it on something I did to my truck. Happy long weekend.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
The only way it could really be your radio is if you replaced the headunit or something since on the 2013+ Rams those do control some of the truck's functions and are more than a radio. The only one I'm aware of though is the $2800 Alpine one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't replace the headunit, I still have the 8.4" factory setup. The dealer was saying if any wires had been hit when wiring up the amps it could have caused the issue. (the only wires that were touched were speaker wires for a high-level input) Obviously they are just looking for an excuse not to fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Is there another dealer near you that you can take it to?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I could. But apparently they have it all taken apart right now, and with it being the long weekend I won't hear anything back until Tuesday. I'm also supposed to hear from a Senior Case Manager at Chrysler Canada on Tuesday.

This was the dealership that said I should have an alignment done at least once a year. Yeah, right.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a few strange electrical issues. Dealership traced it to a bad solder connection in the power distribution module in the engine compartment. That's the large fuse center that distributes power throughout the truck. You may want to have it checked it for loose battery and ground connections.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a few strange electrical issues. Dealership traced it to a bad solder connection in the power distribution module in the engine compartment. That's the large fuse center that distributes power throughout the truck. You may want to have it checked it for loose battery and ground connections.
I will have them take a look next week, thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it turned out where my power steering module connects under the hood was full of water and rust so it was causing the wires/pins to short out. I wonder if I should be worried about other connections if this one was full of water?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Are they going to check the other connections before giving it back to you? It's amazing how quickly they were trying to lay the blame on you and your stereo before they had done their job and located the problem.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. Took it in and they said water was leaking down firewall on passengers side and got into electrical connection. They had to rewire it and made the wires a bit longer to move the location. Haven't had a problem since that. Took them 2 days to rewire it.:doh:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I could see dealerships doing that doing anything on you to take the easy way out. I had weird problems with my truck too the lights would work but basically nothing else plus it wouldn't start. It turned out to be a lose wire in the bcm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts