DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started noticing rust spots on the rear bumper of my 2014 Ram. I've attached a few pictures. Anyone experience the same? I'm thinking dealer is going to say bumper is not covered for rust?

Appreciate any input

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,649 Posts
Improper prep, had a small section below the upper tailgate trim on my BSP bubble like that and repaired right at the dealership. Also, that is a prime area for salt to collect as the dual tail pipes form a cyclone of snow from the road as you're traveling at high speeds.

Make sure you're washing well at least once every 10 days is all it takes to begin corrosion during the cold season, especially in cheap areas that don't use sand and throw some sort of NaCl mix on the roads. As an engineer in the automotive industry, we only perform 400 hours of salt spray testing with one solution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GARC,

How old was your truck when the dealer repaired?

Mine has never gone more than 10 days in the winter without being washed.

I'm just doing some research now to see if there is a good chance this will be covered or no. I bought the truck in 03/2014. I have a feeling they are going to say this is either a wear item (bumper) or it was covered for only 3 years.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,649 Posts
I bought it 12 months old(also a 2014), noticed it on the sales lot and had them correct before leaving.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe any rust has to have perforation through the metal to be repaired or replaced under warranty. Some guys went through this with Dodge Challenger quarter panels.

You have some surface rust under the chrome plating, very common for road salt states like PA. They will say it is environmental damage and not a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Chrome polish works wonders! Had some similar spots on my front bumper on my 2015 Ram. used some chrome polish on it and two years later when I sold it the rust spots had not reappeared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts