DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2015 2500 6.4 Hemi shifting at high rpms

964 5
First forum post ever. My 2015 2500 6.4 Hemi is shifting gears at higher than normal rpms. It does it consistently through all gears. Thinking that it was transmission issues I have dropped transmission pan, changed both filters and replace with new fluid. No improvement at all. Dealership says bring it in. Local transmission shop suggest that maybe it’s a throttle position sensor. Help please.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How much higher?
Is this something that just happened all at once and you immediately noticed it, or something that gradually crept up on you?
Your truck has a tow/haul mode, right?
Does engaging/disengaging it make any difference to the shift points?

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much higher?
Is this something that just happened all at once and you immediately noticed it, or something that gradually crept up on you?
Your truck has a tow/haul mode, right?
Does engaging/disengaging it make any difference to the shift points?
It’s shifting between 2800-3000 rpm. It’s audibly higher than usual and slower to shift. Yes it has tow/haul on it. I did turn it on to see if it changed anything. It brought the rpm up immediately. It’s shifting like I have it loaded down heavy, but I’m not. Yes I did notice this overnight.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Interesting thought about the possibility of a dodgy throttle position sensor. Does it shift pretty much always in that rpm range regardless of your throttle input, or can you finesse it and have it shift at lower rpm's by real gentle throttle use?

Anyway, wish I could be more help.
There are people on this forum with way more transmission savvy than I, so with luck someone might come along with some better insight.

In your situation, it would be worth it to me to pay someone with a real upscale scan tool who knows how to use it, and have them scan in real time as it's shifting to see what data they can come up with.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hello @dhunt0311,

Sorry to hear about your vehicle concerns. We would like to offer up some additional assistance and support alongside a dealer appointment should you elect to go with your dealer. Let us know if interested! Feel free to send us a private message with your mileage to start.

Hannah
Ram Cares

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.