DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a clicking coming from the motor, my initial thought was the whole rocker thing. I'm not entirely sure. It sounds more like its come from the exhaust at the point that the cat meets the manifold on the driver side. I can walk around to the front of the truck and the click all but disappears until I get around to the passenger side.

All that being said. I just got a quote for $5200 to replace Timing Chain, Cylinder heads, Rockers, etc does that sound about right. It feels like I'm basically replacing the top-end of the motor and if I'm doing that why not just replace the whole freaking thing. I mean the motor does have 215k on it. I'm tempted to rip the exhaust off this weekend and put new gaskets on it and see if that fixes the click.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Rocker arm thing?

The 3.6 exhaust manifolds are cast into the heads, so the downpipes/cats bolt directly to the heads.

I feel like replacing the Timing Chain, Cylinder heads, Rockers, etc... is premature. You don't even know what's actually wrong. The 3.6 has 4 timing chains, one for each camshaft

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Another place to check is the Y pipe ! On the passenger it bolts to a flange to the tail pipe ! Mine had a broken stud on the flange W Replaced Y pipe and all good for me ! Hope yours is that simple ! As for 5k$ to just rebuild the heads on a 200k + motor I agree with you I would do the whole motor and start fresh if you can find a good re builder !! !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah after thinking on it that day I just went and picked the truck up. My gut is telling me its the exhaust system. I’m going to order new gaskets and go through all the joints and just double check everything. I mean with 200+k I wouldn’t be surprised if the gaskets are shot. Plus the more I thought about it the more I did not like the thought of signing off on $5200 in work when he honestly didn’t truly know that was the issue. I will check the flanges tomorrow and see if there are any loose bolts hopefully thats all it is. I’ve tried to feel for the knock/click with a screwdriver several places on the valve covers and other spots on the motor and can’t feel anything and other than spending a few bucks on a stethoscope i’m not sure how else to check it. The biggest thing that makes me feel like its exhaust over a lifter or rocker is the fact that it has a very resonant sound to it over what another car I had which did have a lifter go in it sounded like. Guess time will tell.

Rocker arm thing?

The 3.6 exhaust manifolds are cast into the heads, so the downpipes/cats bolt directly to the heads.

I feel like replacing the Timing Chain, Cylinder heads, Rockers, etc... is premature. You don't even know what's actually wrong. The 3.6 has 4 timing chains, one for each camshaft
Another place to check is the Y pipe ! On the passenger it bolts to a flange to the tail pipe ! Mine had a broken stud on the flange W Replaced Y pipe and all good for me ! Hope yours is that simple ! As for 5k$ to just rebuild the heads on a 200k + motor I agree with you I would do the whole motor and start fresh if you can find a good re builder !! !

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got a clicking coming from the motor, my initial thought was the whole rocker thing. ................... I mean the motor does have 215k on it. I'm tempted to rip the exhaust off this weekend and put new gaskets on it and see if that fixes the click.

Thoughts?
WOW 215k miles.
Have you checked for a bad belt, tensioner or alternator overrunning clutch pulley noise?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW 215k miles.
Have you checked for a bad belt, tensioner or alternator overrunning clutch pulley noise?
No, that one I have not even thought about, I've been focused on it coming from the exhaust area around the left wheel but it I will check those tomorrow as well.

it's not that I don't trust these mechanics I have no reason not to never used them before they have a decent reputation around here but he didn't have the car in the bay more than 10 - 20 mins and the bill was $5200. Literally, the first thing out of his mouth was I had a Jeep with this same problem these motors are known for this issue. That always worries me when someone immediately makes an assumption on something because of the history of the Motor/Software/Computer/Insert Item here says that it should be a certain thing. Anyway off my soapbox. :) Thanks for another good idea to run down

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The 3.6 is a pretty good and reliable engine. Been around since 2011 in all platforms that FCA makes. I would look for a second opinion from a shop that is very familiar with the 3.6.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally agree. As much as I don't like taking them to the dealership I may end up finding a dealership around here to take it to if I can't figure it out soon. I can't see or feel any hesitation or vibrations in the motor at all but maybe you wouldn't with a rocker. Either way, I'm definitely not going to go with their suggested route. Gotta check with the neighbor up the street. He had a head gasket blow in a Dakota 2 yrs ago need to find out who he used I thought it was this shop but just found out yesterday that it wasn't.

The 3.6 is a pretty good and reliable engine. Been around since 2011 in all platforms that FCA makes. I would look for a second opinion from a shop that is very familiar with the 3.6.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
No, that one I have not even thought about, I've been focused on it coming from the exhaust area around the left wheel but it I will check those tomorrow as well.

it's not that I don't trust these mechanics I have no reason not to never used them before they have a decent reputation around here but he didn't have the car in the bay more than 10 - 20 mins and the bill was $5200. Literally, the first thing out of his mouth was I had a Jeep with this same problem these motors are known for this issue. That always worries me when someone immediately makes an assumption on something because of the history of the Motor/Software/Computer/Insert Item here says that it should be a certain thing. Anyway off my soapbox. :) Thanks for another good idea to run down
Ok yeah, he wants you to throw money at his incorrect assumption. I mean if you do all that it may fix the issue, but I think you'll be spending a ton of extra money to fix and replace stuff that doesn't need fixing or replacing.

What he is referring to is an issue the 3.6 had with the heads warping; this only happened on engines made in the first two years of production, which were 2011 and 2012. The heads were redesigned for 2013 and a recall was issued, so

1) The only Rams affected by this would be very early 2013s, since those were the only ones to get engines that may have been made in 2012. 2013 was the first year for the 3.6 in the Rams-the Grand Cherokee and Durango got them in 2011. Wranglers got them in 2012; its a ubiquitous engine available in a ton of different Chrysler models-sort of like the Hemi.

2) Even if this were your issue, the head replacement would be covered under the recall. I assume you have a 2015 (its not listed in your info).

The dealer around here is pretty fair. Their labor rate is high but not unreasonable and their diagnostic charge is half of what I am used to seeing at dealers. They are actually capable of accurately diagnosing an issue and fixing it too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the input. I definitely feel better about just going and picking the truck up. I thought the 2015’s had the redesigned heads and it shouldn’t be a problem any longer. Granted its totally possible I could have a lifter/rocker bad but I really don’t know that I need to replace the entire top end of the motor. Not when I can get a Reman for 3k-4k and the labor is roughly the same in his words. Once I do a few more checks I’ll find another shop or take it to the dealer and get their thoughts. I appreciate it everyone.

Ok yeah, he wants you to throw money at his incorrect assumption. I mean if you do all that it may fix the issue, but I think you'll be spending a ton of extra money to fix and replace stuff that doesn't need fixing or replacing.

What he is referring to is an issue the 3.6 had with the heads warping; this only happened on engines made in the first two years of production, which were 2011 and 2012. The heads were redesigned for 2013 and a recall was issued, so

1) The only Rams affected by this would be very early 2013s, since those were the only ones to get engines that may have been made in 2012. 2013 was the first year for the 3.6 in the Rams-the Grand Cherokee and Durango got them in 2011. Wranglers got them in 2012; its a ubiquitous engine available in a ton of different Chrysler models-sort of like the Hemi.

2) Even if this were your issue, the head replacement would be covered under the recall. I assume you have a 2015 (its not listed in your info).

The dealer around here is pretty fair. Their labor rate is high but not unreasonable and their diagnostic charge is half of what I am used to seeing at dealers. They are actually capable of accurately diagnosing an issue and fixing it too.
2nd namretsud and Thunderhorse said.

(edited due to my slow typing)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh by the way here is a quick pic of the truck. I don’t have many of them yet, but I’m working on it. :smiley_thumbs_up:
1FF69FEC-DF37-456C-8F50-148A7191038E.jpg

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Super clean for 215k

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts