DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I can't figure this one out:

The chrome bumper on my 2015 black Laramie seems to be out of wack, look at the first pic:

IMG_7020.jpg

And this second pic is from my friend's 2014 Laramie, just look at the big difference in the lines of the bumpers...

IMG_7019.jpg

How can I adjust it?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Is there a space between your bumper & the upper painted valance near the tow hooks ??

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's just an optical illusion would be my guess. You (black truck) have the OE fender flares, the white truck doesn't

·
Registered
109 Posts
Top pic has factory flares on it, bottom one does not. You need to compare it with another truck with factory flares.

Don

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just an optical illusion would be my guess. You (black truck) have the OE fender flares, the white truck doesn't
Top pic has factory flares on it, bottom one does not. You need to compare it with another truck with factory flares.
To me it looks like the bumper has dropped from the center where the license plate goes, like I mentioned on the previous reply, there's a big gap compared to the other white laramie between the chrome bumper and the top painted part, like if someone backed onto it making the bumper drop at the center and bringing up the sides, like if it twisted!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Definitely fender flares adding the extra difference.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
OP did you hit something or push a lot of mud with your bumper? The one on the white truck is how it should be, the black truck bumper has hit something and impacted back up around the axis of the front bumper mounts. You should be able to adjust it back down with the mounting screws; or a body shop will probably set it right for $50 or so

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The images would have been easier to study if they were taken in better lighting
I had not even noticed the flares

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP did you hit something or push a lot of mud with your bumper? The one on the white truck is how it should be, the black truck bumper has hit something and impacted back up around the axis of the front bumper mounts. You should be able to adjust it back down with the mounting screws; or a body shop will probably set it right for $50 or so
I bought the truck already like that bud, it does look like the previous owner might of hit something...

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I bought the truck already like that bud, it does look like the previous owner might of hit something...
That's what it looks like to me, and that is based on my experience. I am on bumper #2 FWIW

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what it looks like to me, and that is based on my experience. I am on bumper #2 FWIW
I didn't quite understood how you were explaining for me to adjust it...

As you can see the front center needs to go up, but the putter sides need to go down...

I guess I will play around with it Sunday morning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I didn't quite understood how you were explaining for me to adjust it...

As you can see the front center needs to go up, but the putter sides need to go down...

I guess I will play around with it Sunday morning.

Your bumper is definitely bent. There are not any adjustments.

I had the same thing when I purchased my 2011 1500 used. I took the bumper off and removed all of the brackets and tried to straighten them. That didn’t work! I finally realized the simple thing to do was just shim the bumper where it mounts to the frame. I made shims from stock that was one inch wide and 1/8 of inch thick. I just cut them to about 5-6 inches long. The mounting bracket to the frame has three bolts on each side. Loosen the bolts and slide the shims in place resting on the lower bolts between the bracket and the frame horn. This will tilt the rear edge down and bring the center up some. I had to use two shims on the driver’s side and one on the passenger’s side. Yours may take more shims than mine did?

This can be done without removing the bumper.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I second everyone that in your pics mrlcantu, you have an apparent bend right about the middle of your bumper. I too have tried to loosen bumper bolts on my 2014 to adjust but with very little improvement. And damn this chrome bumper is heavy! Well when your on your back pushing up, holding, and then trying to tighten bolts that is.:LOL:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your bumper is definitely bent. There are not any adjustments.

I had the same thing when I purchased my 2011 1500 used. I took the bumper off and removed all of the brackets and tried to straighten them. That didn’t work! I finally realized the simple thing to do was just shim the bumper where it mounts to the frame. I made shims from stock that was one inch wide and 1/8 of inch thick. I just cut them to about 5-6 inches long. The mounting bracket to the frame has three bolts on each side. Loosen the bolts and slide the shims in place resting on the lower bolts between the bracket and the frame horn. This will tilt the rear edge down and bring the center up some. I had to use two shims on the driver’s side and one on the passenger’s side. Yours may take more shims than mine did?

This can be done without removing the bumper.
Yes sir, you totally read my mind, yesterday I had time after work and loosened all 6 bolts and saw the exact thing you just mentioned, I will have to see about getting some metal shims at work... but just doing it by hand did see improvements, just gotta find something solid that will stay in place and that will fix the problem, thanks man! :smileup:

I second everyone that in your pics mrlcantu, you have an apparent bend right about the middle of your bumper. I too have tried to loosen bumper bolts on my 2014 to adjust but with very little improvement. And damn this chrome bumper is heavy! Well when your on your back pushing up, holding, and then trying to tighten bolts that is.:LOL:
Haha it's heavy :LOL:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts