DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm attempting to add power windows and locks to my 2015 Std. Cab, and let's not worry about the "well why'd you buy it that way dummy?" thing, some of us don't have the three months it takes to fit a custom order in the manufacturing queue and everything else about the truck other than the doors are exactly how I wanted. A better question would be why do they even make trucks with manual windows anymore..

So first question is, what's that purple wire going across the door toward the latch? I have six wires going into this door; two for the speaker, two for the airbag sensor and two for.. ? Anyone know?

Second question - apparently the SPAL universal power window kit just isn't going to work. https://www.a1electric.com/spal.htm
I've been d!cking around with this thing for hours and just can't seem to get anything even remotely satisfying - nowhere good to mount the motor, no good way to fix the drive unit. Just not going to happen as far as I can tell. I can still use the switches and wiring, that's no problem. Does anyone know if I can mount OEM power window motor assemblies to the manual door? Does the mechanism come out or do I need the entire carrier and everything ?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

·
Premium Member
32,678 Posts
2016 Ram passenger front door
power locks, power windows, power folding mirrors

that doors interior door control panel is just stuck behind the wiring for the door lock actuator

good luck

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the photo!

One thing I find a little interesting, it appears that the power window motor will not fit the carrier panel, if only because the mounting screw pattern is different. Three screws arranged in a "V" sort of orientation on your power door vs. equal thirds on my manual door. But my manual door still has the mounting bosses for that electronic module. http://i.imgur.com/Iu3RVwu.png

I wonder why it would need the module mounting location if it can't fit the motors.

But I think you've answered my question, I need to get the whole carrier assembly if I want power windows. As an FYI for others who might read this thread, the SPAL universal kit *does* have the correct plastic adapter fitting things to physically drive our manual window crank (uses the same spline size as Caravan..) but there's just nothing to mount any of it on - and there's a plane interference problem with the drive end that would need to be resolved.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The two wires to the latch are for the door ajar light. Even though the latch has the connectors similar to the electric latches, they are not electric and will need to be swapped. I did a manual to power window conversion on my 2011. It is in another thread on these forums. You will need the door module (referred to as the carrier) from a donor vehicle. Fortunately, the module will have the latch attached to it. I found out the hard way the 2013 and beyond are different than the 2009-2012's. The door control modules (electronic) and the side impact sensors and are not compatible. Try to find a similar year donor in the junkyard. It is pretty much plug and play if you get the harness with it. By the way, the door locks will not operate from the power window switch without getting the TIPM programmed with factory programming, not to be confused with the sales code programming the dealers can do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts