DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey guys. I'll update my build a bit. Since I finished my build I have been playing around with everything trying to get the sound just right. While doing that I noticed 2 things that wernt quite right. Mid bass impact and subs sound lifeless like most people suffer with, with under seat sub installs. Well to remedy the mid bass issue I decided to fiberglass some pods in the doors so my mids would have a sealed enclosure to bring the mid bass presence back to life. There is plenty of room in there so i just took some polyester tape and made a shape I liked and glassed away. Pretty easy actually. Here are a few pics I took while Making the pods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Second is the lifeless sub. I know most of you out there with subs under the seat are not happy with the sound no matter what box you are using. LISTEN UP!!! I cannot stress this enough. get a audiocontrol dq-61 or another processer with sub time alignment capabilities. Put on some bass heavy music and listen. sounds good? probably not that great. now move your head up towards the front glass. sounds much better now right? that is basically what this thing does. as you turn the knob for the sub alignment you can hear the sub move from the back seat to the front windshield like magic. its flat out amazing the difference this one piece of equipment does. I know, I know its about $240 but trust me well worth it!!!! then throw in the regular time alignment for the door speakers that makes the sound just float in the air in front of you and 3 eq's for front, rear, and sub are just added bonuses of this magnificent unit. you don't believe me? check out the pics with my little sound level meter. these 2 readings are with the time alignment off and on. no playing with the volume or any settings of any kind. I set the volume like around 16 put in a 40hz sign wave and just look at the difference. I know its not very loud, its just to prove what a difference it makes. it will get down and boogie if I crank it!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
All wrapped up and ready for resin.

Oohhhh an it she pretty? Now need some carpet.

Well folks. It's done. Now time to move on to the door panels. :wavey:

That is a very nice looking box. I have one concern. Is the one layer of fabric with resin strong enough? I have always reinforced with some fiberglass mat on top of or inside of box to add strength so it doesn't flex when the bass hits.
Just a thought, if you push on the box and you can move the part that is fiberglass than your going to want to add some more glass and resin.
Bernie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got the first door buttoned up. It's a shame we put in time and effort to make things look nice and the components themselves are beautiful, all to never be seen again. Lol

Super nice work on the adaptor plates, what was the thickness on the plates?
I really like the fact that you fiberglassed the inside of the speaker pod to make it a sealed enclosure for the mids I know from some past installs this really does work, nice job.
I hate to nit pick but you have to get them wires inside the boot, for two reasons.
1st reason is just looks in general the wires being hidden will look cleaner for your install.
2nd reason is the wires not in the boot have a chance of getting pinched and creating a short in the wires.
Hope you don't take any of this negatively Im just trying to help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quit bashing my SH$T!!!! Lol. I'm playing. I love any comments that may help. But as for the wires. Those pics were in process. Ran all wires threw the boots at the end. They were just hanging at that time. And for the fiberglass box. I have 3 layers of chop matt on the top of the cloth. Could stand on it and it won't move an inch. You have a build thread on here?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice fiber work. I haven't done a system in a vehicle in many years but still love looking at what others do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No time like the present to start one. It's really not that hard to do some simple improvements and it makes driving so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quit bashing my SH$T!!!! Lol. I'm playing. I love any comments that may help. But as for the wires. Those pics were in process. Ran all wires threw the boots at the end. They were just hanging at that time. And for the fiberglass box. I have 3 layers of chop matt on the top of the cloth. Could stand on it and it won't move an inch. You have a build thread on here?
Great to hear! Sounds like you know what your doing!
Build thread, not yet, but one day.
All I have done so far is double din head unit, back up cam, alpine mini amp and flip down monitor for the rear. Also a remote start via smart start from DEI for my Samsung.
Im working on a demo side box so when Im at shows or where ever I can open it up and display what I sell.
Here it is partly done, there will be 6x9s and flush mounted amps. Ill start a thread once I get closer.
Great job on yours, bet it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree these doors are easy. I see you went with adapter to use 6.5 doors. It's going to be difficult for 12s. I had 1 10TypeX in floor which was more than enough but loss of space not cool. Two quality 10 which can have shallow depth or dedicated shallows. I'm waiting to try the Alpines when budget allows. Great job on pics also

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yea I'm quite happy with 1 12". it's too much at times. If you make your own box around 6.5" in depth can be easily achieved. Plety for a very beefy subwoofer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well let me update my build a bit. here is my newest attempt at installing 3" mids in my truck. I found out that a clipboard is the perfect thickness for making a dash plate.:p Seems like its a pretty good fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Measure twice and cut once..... or just assume it will fit as I do :(
its not life or death just a little trimming of the plastic below so the mag will fit in the factory hole, but sadly that will have to wait till I have more time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well who knew it would be 4 months before I finished installing these. Life just gets in the way sometimes. Just required a little triming but nothing too bad. Anyway they are finally in and I must say it sounds absolutely amazing. And with a few clicks of the time alignment the vocals are sitting right in the center of my dash. If you are thinking about doing a 3 way settup I suggest you DO IT!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So what are you using for your front stage now? I've got a JBL MS8, and I can't decide whether to just run a set of 2 way passive components, or try to do a 3 way active system using the MS8 as the crossover.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That ms8 should be able to make either the 2 or 3 way sound great. I went back and forth on whether I should get the MS8 or use the audiocontrol. then decided the audio control would work better for me and what I wanted to do. And now that I have the 3 Way in I don't think I would go back. it's so bright and Airy I just love it. How we're you thinking of installing yours?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I haven't 100% decided, but what I'd like to do if I can find matching components is doing 6.5 mid-bass in the front doors, and 3.5 coaxial in all three locations in the dash. To start off with I'll probably just run them off the MS8, and if they need more I'll amp them. I've currently got a Crescendo mono block amp (can't remember the model now, but IIRC it's around 1,400W), and a pair of Sound Qubed 8s. I had bought the equipment for my Tahoe originall, but ended up trading it I on the Ram. I'm on the fence on the SQ 8s though. I've not heard them yet, but I have 0 experience with fiberglass, and it seems prefab boxes aren't really offered in dual 8in flavors for these trucks. Also the SQ 8s want a ported box for optimal efficiency. One the flip side I've seen mentioned that the prefabs (even the higher quality ones) don't really work the best due to generally not having enough air space for the larger subs. However again IIRC a pare of the SQ 8s need less than a qubeic foot of box volume, and from what I've read that seams to be a fairly reasonable goal for an under the seat box on the crew cab trucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've heard good things about the sound qubed subs. And 2 8" subs fit nicely in one tub under the seat. My buddy has 2 8" skars under his passenger rear seat and I'm putting 2 massive audio 8" in mine (as soon as I can find time to redesign the box) and I will strongly advise not to use 3" coaxials. I've tried twice to use them but the sound is lacking. Just doesn't sound good to me. Maybe you'll like it but don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well maybe I just need to learn how to fiberglass then, and make a box for em! Lol. Even with pairing the 3.5s with a 6.5in mid-bass, or should I just go with a set of 2 ways, and put the tweeter in the dash (or sail panel)?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts