DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tailgate was stolen this past week. i have been meaning to join earlier. but now I'm on here looking for parts and info. thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
What a bunch of low lifes. Shouldnt be to hard to find one. You might want to look further north and maybe over towards Gulf coast or mid state to get one a little more price friendly.

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
Good morning & welcome to Ramforumz! I am going to move your post to another area of the forum, where it should get much more attention from our members. Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
2015's have locking tailgates. At least the one on my 2015 Tradesman locked when I locked the doors. Did you not have the truck locked?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Check on Craigs list- with some luck, you might be able to buy it back legally from the thief.
Because that's what they do.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Tailgate locks are only totally safe if one has a lockable toneau cover. The access cover comes off the tailgate easy enough to get to the lock mechanism and tailgate is gone.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's true, but doing that takes time. The longer it takes to steal something, the more chance they'll get caught. Most people would move on to easier targets. But if someone is determined enough they could steal a lot more than a tailgate by taking things apart. I was just curious to know if they had locked the truck or not.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Edmonton Alberta Canada is having a rash of catalytic converter thefts. They have had over 600 in the past year. Guys are using sawsalls to get them. When someone wants to have something noise is not a worrying thing and cordless tools are quick.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Years back the Charlotte NC area had a bunch of Cat thefts. They have precious metals in them and I guess somehow they can extract them.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I changed out the cat on my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 and toke the old one to a metal recycler as it was plugged. Got $100 for it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I guess that there are times when some folks need to remove their tailgate to haul something but can't really see why the manufacturers needed to make it quite so easy :unsure:! I have NEVER needed to remove mine!
There are numerous products on the market that foil tailgate thieves by making it difficult, if not impossible, to remove the tailgate without a key or special wrench.
After seeing how they worked, I secured my tailgate with a steel strap-style hose clamp. I positioned the hex-head tightening screw where it was quite difficult to get at with the nut driver. To be sure, it's not impossible to remove the hose clamp and snatch the tailgate BUT it does take time AND as mentioned before, lazy thieves will move on to "lower hanging fruit" ;).
RipVan

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you don't remove your tail gate that often put a hose clamp on the right side of the hinge - At least it can't be a quick removal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
tailgate was stolen this past week. i have been meaning to join earlier. but now I'm on here looking for parts and info. thanks
I also had a tailgate stolen on another pickup and was given a neat trick to possibly prevent the loss again. A metal hose clamp with the worm gear around the right end that allows the tailgate to be lifted off. I positioned the clamp with the tightening screw as much out of the way as possible. It now takes a chisel to get it off or at least it would severely slow up the theft. If it's not handy, most likely the low life will go to another pickup that is easier to steal from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts