DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hoping someone can help diagnose a 5.7 Hemi issue.
I have a 2015 Ram with 5.7 Hemi with 138k miles.
It had the Hemi Tick for a while. I was driving last week and the tick got really loud, started missing a little and had slight loss of power. I had to limp along for about 10 miles.
Pulled valve covers and found intake rocker arm on Cyl #6 (MDS) had alot of slack in it. That was the only one with a noticeable problem.
Procedded to tear it down and pull the heads.
Cyl #6 (MDS) Lifter was stuck in down position.
Replaced one set of lifters which consisted of the 2 MDS on Cyl 6 and 2 non-MDS on Cyl 8.
Also replaced the MDS Solenoid for Cyl 6 because.. why not.. and just in case.
Cam seemed fine via visual inspection through lifter bores.
All other Lifters seemed fine.

Put it all back together and now it wont start.
I can get it to start by pushing throttle down half way. It will start up, sounds like all valves/lifters are clattering and will only run if can keep it at 3k RPM.
Sounds terrible.Didnt run it very long. maybe 30 seconds.
Did get a "Service Throttle body" or similiar message a couple times while trying to start but not consistently. Seems unrelated to lifter noise but who knows?

Also, while it was apart I replaced 5 broken exhaust manifold bolts which was probably making up most of the orginal tick that it had for a long time.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong or what to check next..
Was going to pull valve covers and see if valves are opening. Doesn't look like I can get Drivers side cover back off wihtout pulling intake??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I could just get rid of these posts but I will leave here in case someone else has this problem.

Pulled Passenger side valve cover. All rockers and valves seemed working great.
Pulled intake so that I could pull driver side valve cover and immediately noticed that at least the first 3 intake valves were all open a little bit...
Pulled the Intake rocker arm shaft and all 4 intake pushrods are bent.

It turns out that there is a hole right above the pushrod hole that the pushrod will go down into and rest against the block. It also turns out that it makes the pushrod sit right about the correct height to be able to assemble the rocker arm shafts. They are just a little too high which wedges the intake valves open about 0.150" I would guess.
I feel like an idiot but who would guess that they would design in such an easy way to accidentally screw that up.
Now just have to make sure that it didn't bend the valves..

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I could just get rid of these posts but I will leave here in case someone else has this problem.

Pulled Passenger side valve cover. All rockers and valves seemed working great.
Pulled intake so that I could pull driver side valve cover and immediately noticed that at least the first 3 intake valves were all open a little bit...
Pulled the Intake rocker arm shaft and all 4 intake pushrods are bent.

It turns out that there is a hole right above the pushrod hole that the pushrod will go down into and rest against the block. It also turns out that it makes the pushrod sit right about the correct height to be able to assemble the rocker arm shafts. They are just a little too high which wedges the intake valves open about 0.150" I would guess.
I feel like an idiot but who would guess that they would design in such an easy way to accidentally screw that up.
Now just have to make sure that it didn't bend the valves..
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news. I replaced 4 Intake Push Rods with Melling MPR-667 from Autozone at $3.99ea. Reassembled everything. Runs great. Sounds better than it ever has (probably mostly because of exhaust manifold bolts fix). It still has a faint tick but acceptable considering what it sounded like before..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts