DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a 2015 Ram Sport with hemi and 3.92 axle ratio with factory hitch and receiver/tow package. Based on this, I have trailer max tow capacity of 10,160lbs and payload of 1530lbs. I recently bought a travel trailer with a 5900lb dry weight and a 890lb tongue weight. I figure once TT is loaded, I will have tongue weight closer to 1000lbs. I went to hitch the trailer up the other day so I could work on putting on my weight distribution hitch, but my truck sank so much, I couldn't even take the trailer off the jack. Based on all the info, I would have assumed my truck would have at minimum allowed me to place the TT on it so I could drive it onto a flat street so I could set up the WDH.

Some have suggested upgrading my coils with a higher rated coil? Others have suggested getting air bags but all the research I have done, I want the WDH to do most of the work and airbags, if not applied properly, counteract the work of the WDH.

I know the simple answer is to upgade the truck but with costs nowadays, and based on specs, I should be able to use my RAM with a few mods? I appreciate all the advice in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

I have a 2015 Ram Sport with hemi and 3.92 axle ratio with factory hitch and receiver/tow package. Based on this, I have trailer max tow capacity of 10,160lbs and payload of 1530lbs. I recently bought a travel trailer with a 5900lb dry weight and a 890lb tongue weight. I figure once TT is loaded, I will have tongue weight closer to 1000lbs. I went to hitch the trailer up the other day so I could work on putting on my weight distribution hitch, but my truck sank so much, I couldn't even take the trailer off the jack. Based on all the info, I would have assumed my truck would have at minimum allowed me to place the TT on it so I could drive it onto a flat street so I could set up the WDH.

Some have suggested upgrading my coils with a higher rated coil? Others have suggested getting air bags but all the research I have done, I want the WDH to do most of the work and airbags, if not applied properly, counteract the work of the WDH.

I know the simple answer is to upgade the truck but with costs nowadays, and based on specs, I should be able to use my RAM with a few mods? I appreciate all the advice in advance!
I have a set of Airlift 1000HD airbags I am looking to sell. If you’re interested? Bought them and installed them only to realize they won’t fit my truck due to my lift kit!

·
Registered
2015 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, Prairie Pearlcoat/White Gold
109 Posts
I have air bags from Timber Grove and I'm very happy with them. Throw a load of sand or something in the back, hit the compressor and away you go. I couldn't be happier with them, and they install very easily.
Good luck with your setup!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your tongue weight estimate might be off. Remember that camper "dry weight" has no liquids, no propane tanks, nothing extra. But you are also trying to do this with a 1/2 ton so that weight distribution hitch is critical to properly towing the load.

When I used to tow my wheeling rig on my 18' dovetail with a 1/2 ton I would need to use the jack to hike the trailer nose up to install the weight distribution bars if the truck was already loaded on the trailer. The rear of the truck sagged too much to do it without the trailer jack if the truck was already on the trailer. I think your situation is similar.

You should install the w/d hitch "eyeballed," then hook up the trailer, use the trailer jack to hike up the trailer nose, install the weight bars, then take it to your level lot to then work through iterating to get the w/d set up correctly. Once you do that you should have no more issues. Do ensure that your rear tires are inflated to maximum sidewall pressure and that you add some air to the front tires (the weight distribution "twists" the load onto the front tires and some additional onto the trailer tires.)

·
Registered
2021 RAM 2500 Tradesman Crew
54 Posts
Sounds like your trailer tongue weight is causing a lot of squat in the rear of your 1500. WD causes its own problems when dialing in a lot to level the truck. I suggest a blend of more rear spring in the truck along with the WD. I‘d go along with the suggested air springs as they are the easiest to install and you can deflate them when not needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your tongue weight estimate might be off. Remember that camper "dry weight" has no liquids, no propane tanks, nothing extra. But you are also trying to do this with a 1/2 ton so that weight distribution hitch is critical to properly towing the load.

When I used to tow my wheeling rig on my 18' dovetail with a 1/2 ton I would need to use the jack to hike the trailer nose up to install the weight distribution bars if the truck was already loaded on the trailer. The rear of the truck sagged too much to do it without the trailer jack if the truck was already on the trailer. I think your situation is similar.

You should install the w/d hitch "eyeballed," then hook up the trailer, use the trailer jack to hike up the trailer nose, install the weight bars, then take it to your level lot to then work through iterating to get the w/d set up correctly. Once you do that you should have no more issues. Do ensure that your rear tires are inflated to maximum sidewall pressure and that you add some air to the front tires (the weight distribution "twists" the load onto the front tires and some additional onto the trailer tires.)
You may be right? My brother pulled it into my lot with a 1 ton but the TT did have some water in the grey tank. It probably does not help that my trailer hitch drops 2". I'll take your advice and update this thread. Thank You!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like your trailer tongue weight is causing a lot of squat in the rear of your 1500. WD causes its own problems when dialing in a lot to level the truck. I suggest a blend of more rear spring in the truck along with the WD. I‘d go along with the suggested air springs as they are the easiest to install and you can deflate them when not needed.
I just ordered the variable weight Tufttruck rear springs. I will update this thread later and see if that was enough to help or if bags were also needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 1500 and pull a 8k trailer with tongue weight of 1130lbs. Upgrade your WD to a Equalizer, use either the 12k or 14k, they are the best on the marketand will make a big difference. Truck still squatted, just not all the way to the bump stops. Added some helper bags in the springs to help with the level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought mine, I put a garden tractor in the back and it sunk, I thought WTH ?, then I looked under it a saw coil springs, again WTH ? Never gave it a thought when I purchased it that it had coils didn’t even look. Every truck I have owned had leaf springs and didn’t realize they went to coils. So I got on line and purchased a set of the Air bag 1000, was under a 100.00 bucks and install was relatively easy, that was 5 yrs ago and no more sagging no matter how much I tow. I let the air out when I’m done and back to stock ride I go, and actually when they are pumped up the ride is not too bad. You won’t go wrong with them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Airbags is the only way to go... Air them up before you hook up the trailer and you will have no issues. They are not going to cause any more issues then putting a HD set of springs on your truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought mine, I put a garden tractor in the back and it sunk, I thought WTH ?, then I looked under it a saw coil springs, again WTH ? Never gave it a thought when I purchased it that it had coils didn’t even look. Every truck I have owned had leaf springs and didn’t realize they went to coils. So I got on line and purchased a set of the Air bag 1000, was under a 100.00 bucks and install was relatively easy, that was 5 yrs ago and no more sagging no matter how much I tow. I let the air out when I’m done and back to stock ride I go, and actually when they are pumped up the ride is not too bad. You won’t go wrong with them.
1500 Rams since 2009 have coil spring rear suspension, 2500 Rams since 2014. Going back, way back, to the 1960s there were Chevy and GMC 1/2 and 3/4 ton 2wds with rear coil suspension from 1960-1972. There is nothing wrong with coils and they are not weaker in of themselves. Leaf spring suspensions are cheap and durable; the springs suspend and locate the axle whereas with coils you need all the links to keep the axle in place. This costs more. Coils can be tuned for a better ride, and you have to admit that most people with trucks ride around with the bed empty most of the time. The tradeoff is a better ride unloaded generally equates to lower overall load capacity. Leaf springs cannot be tuned as well as coils since they have that second job of locating the axle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts