DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my truck running when outside temp is below 15 degrees. My truck started fine when temp was 8 degrees, but after a mile or so, the check engine light came on and my truck lost power and I couldn’t go faster than 18mph or so without it sputtering and dropping to 5mph or so. This happened once before when temp was cold like this and I had it towed to dealership. They first stated I needed to change Fuel pump (mileage 50K—cost would be 1800), but they left vehicle in their heated bay overnight and next by next morning the truck no longer had same fault and drove fine. They said fuel must have gelled up (even though I treat for that) but if it happens again, we would probably need to change out fuel pump. When they previously checked the fuel pump, I was told it wasn’t putting out the appropriate fuel per minute it should be (I think I was told 350 fpm when it should around 550 fpm). Needless to say, I thought I dodged a bullet until this morning when temp dropped to single digits again. If anyone experienced this same issue, I would seriously appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Since you said the fuel gelled up I’m assuming that you have the Diesel engine. If it’s 8°F when you start it and it works ok the additive is preventing it from gelling up. How fast are you driving? Driving creates a wind chill that may be lowering the temp below what the additive can keep the fuel from gelling. If that’s the case and these temps are normal for where you live you may want to install a heating blanket to wrap around the fuel tank to keep it from gelling up. I’ve seen the interstate lined up with tractor trucks that can’t move because their fuel has gelled up. The only remedy is to tow them to a shop so the fuel can be warmed up and be usable again. The trucks unaffected are the ones with heating blankets wrapped around the fuel tanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
8F isn't low enough especially if he's using additives. Here in Alberta it often stays around -20F and diesel trucks have no issues, we don't even use additives as they're added when companies switch to winter fuels in Fall.

Unless his additives don't work or he's not using enough, it must be something else I think.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have a problem with my truck running when outside temp is below 15 degrees. My truck started fine when temp was 8 degrees, but after a mile or so, the check engine light came on and my truck lost power and I couldn’t go faster than 18mph or so without it sputtering and dropping to 5mph or so. This happened once before when temp was cold like this and I had it towed to dealership. They first stated I needed to change Fuel pump (mileage 50K—cost would be 1800), but they left vehicle in their heated bay overnight and next by next morning the truck no longer had same fault and drove fine. They said fuel must have gelled up (even though I treat for that) but if it happens again, we would probably need to change out fuel pump. When they previously checked the fuel pump, I was told it wasn’t putting out the appropriate fuel per minute it should be (I think I was told 350 fpm when it should around 550 fpm). Needless to say, I thought I dodged a bullet until this morning when temp dropped to single digits again. If anyone experienced this same issue, I would seriously appreciate your assistance. Thank you!
Hi Brian,

I regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing. If you move forward with addressing this with your dealer again, please be sure to let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process if needed.

Mark
RamCares

1 - 4 of 4 Posts