DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious,
What is involved, if I wanted to have the 4wd HI option added to my existing 4wd...this is the only button option missing from the push button switch
Is it just a transfer case swap and programming?
I liked my truck enough to buy, without it, but I'm curious to see if something like this is even possible.
I have the 3.92 rear axle. I don't know if that matters?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, 4WD High is the same as 4WD Lock. The only button you don't have is probably 4WD Auto.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well bud first off I know our trucks have the Borg Warner 44-45, or the part time transfer case. The on demand transfer case, Borg Warner 44-44, or on demand transfer case is the one your wanting. So here's the situation. You will need the switch, plus wiring, maybe a flash(from your dealership) or different PCM, plus the installation of the 44-44 transfer case. The Auto function was cool to have on my 2012 don't get me wrong but I only used it maybe twice in my 20,000 plus miles of owning her before selling. Slick, rainy roads, I tested the Auto function on those days. It's nice to feel the extra grip from the front engaging when the rear slipped from a dead stop but I'm sure I could have got going in 2Hi by just easing on the throttle just the same. When you get a price quote from your shop on what it'd cost, chime in to update. I'm curious.:smileup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well bud first off I know our trucks have the Borg Warner 44-45, or the part time transfer case. The on demand transfer case, Borg Warner 44-44, or on demand transfer case is the one your wanting. So here's the situation. You will need the switch, plus wiring, maybe a flash(from your dealership) or different PCM, plus the installation of the 44-44 transfer case. The Auto function was cool to have on my 2012 don't get me wrong but I only used it maybe twice in my 20,000 plus miles of owning her before selling. Slick, rainy roads, I tested the Auto function on those days. It's nice to feel the extra grip from the front engaging when the rear slipped from a dead stop but I'm sure I could have got going in 2Hi by just easing on the throttle just the same. When you get a price quote from your shop on what it'd cost, chime in to update. I'm curious.:smileup:
Have you done or know someone that has done the swap from the 44 to the 45 successfully? I just did it and only have 4lo and 2wd no 4 hi. you mention the switch, a flash, and PCM and wiring. Am I looking at all of this as well or are you guessing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts