DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issue with the new headlights being way to bright? First night I drove it down the highway about 15 miles i had about 30 people "bright me" for the headlights must be too bright. This got annoying very fast. So far i can't figure out how to bright them back since this seems to be in "automatic" mode so it won't let you bright them back. I have a friend with the exact same truck who got his 3 months ago and is having the same issue. I figured Id ask here first before asking the dealer since i will reach more real users of the truck here. It maybe seems like the headlights may need some more down tilt maybe??? The real problem is not the automatic mode more then the lights shining too high. Would of thought it only happen to my truck but same on my friends. Any Ideas would be great. I might pop the hood and see what its like to put some down tilt in them.
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
The manual should cover how to lower the beams. If you leveled the truck or made other mods, that can raise the head lights. Should be an easy fix. Just find dark flat ground for the test and adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Lol this is the first time I have ever seen anybody talking about the headlights on a gen 4 Ram being too bright. Lets just say that of all the things the trucks do so well, the lights are not one of them.

You can aim them up or down by popping the hood and using a torx driver in the holes with arrows pointing to them

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,442 Posts
Bring it to the dealer and have them properly adjust the lights. The cut off on the projectors has to be just right.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
What are you guys talking about "automatic mode". I have automatic mode on mine but all it does is turn them on when it gets dark. It does not switch them between high and low beam, I have to still do that manually with the switch on the column.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Lol this is the first time I have ever seen anybody talking about the headlights on a gen 4 Ram being too bright. Lets just say that of all the things the trucks do so well, the lights are not one of them.
Ya, no kidding. I'm wondering if his projector's shutters are stuck open.

What are you guys talking about "automatic mode". I have automatic mode on mine but all it does is turn them on when it gets dark. It does not switch them between high and low beam, I have to still do that manually with the switch on the column.
I think they are talking about auto high beams, it is a system (I believe part of the convenience group along with rain-sense wipers) that turns on/off the high beams based on oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
it's a setting in the 8.4 app menu. I turned the auto feature off right away.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,442 Posts
Can I ask how did you do that? Also can the DRL be turned on?
I dont think its your auto high beam mine is on and work great I would go with the lights are slightly out of adjustment. It doesnt take much. Some have had dealers who activate the drls but no dealer near me will do it.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I drive a Ford Explorer PPV and the driver's side headlight gets lazy; it stays on high after I switch it from high to low beams when I first start it. After about ten minutes or so the headlamp works as it should.
Pull up to a wall and turn the hi beams on and then off to make sure they lights are functioning properly first; the dash may not have the hi beam indicator illuminated, but the shutter may be getting stuck as Monster said.

·
Registered
573 Posts
First world problems I tell ya lol. Try driving a dark highway, in wet conditions, with on coming headlights, with a set of the old quad headlights like what came on my 2011. Trust me when I say that having headlights that are "too bright" is pretty minor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got almost the same truck, and my auto-bright works better than I thought it would...it's very sensitive to oncoming traffic. To get out of the auto-bright mode and just drive with low beams, just pull the high-beam/turn signal arm toward you to the detent. Push it away from you to to the detent to put it into the auto-bright mode. When the high beams are on, the blue high-beam indicator also comes on. As I stated, my auto-bright mode works very well and auto-dims when an oncoming car just comes into view...over a mile away. It sounds like either you are not in an auto-dim mode and your brights are on full-time or your auto-dim sensor is not functioning properly.

·
Registered
175 Posts

You can aim them up or down by popping the hood and using a torx driver in the holes with arrows pointing to them

I AMEN on this, I had a 06,11, and my truck now 14 and soon to get the 16 and I have never seen the light on these ram good, in a matter of fact I've always install HID's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
turning on DRL

I have a 2016 Laramie and with 97 miles on it had to make a cross country trip. I got flashed by about every 4th oncoming vehicle....I am going to get mine adjusted down.
I had day time running lights turned on at dealer and works great, can run with headlights only or headlights and fog light both on. http://www.*****************/forum/...tting-power-lights-off-when-ignition-off.html
Because I am new here, I can not respond to messages. I had a request to message this link and can't.

2013 Daytime Running Lamp Enable
03/31/2014
DRL (Daytime Running Lamp) ENABLE
Ram 2500 3500, 4500 and 5500 trucks not equipped with daytime running lamps (sales code LMK, LM1
or LM5) can have the feature enabled by the dealer. This service call will not be covered under warranty.
Dealer charges may apply.
This is done by adding DRL as a dealer installed option and then reconfiguring the vehicle. There are
several sales codes available for DRL depending upon head lamp type and market. The appropriate sales
code should be added to the vehicle configuration as follows:

The dealer should add the DRL option to the vehicle using the VEHICLE OPTION UPDATES page in
DEALERCONNECT. A link to the page can be found in the WARRANTY ADMINISTRATION pane under the
SERVICE tab. Once the appropriate sales code has been added, the vehicle should be reconfigured using
the RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION routine in WiTech. This routine can be found under the
DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES tab. After the vehicle has been reconfigured, a hard reset of the BCM should
be performed and all fault codes that may have been set during the process should be cleared.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Because I am new here, I can not respond to messages. I had a request to message this link and can't.

2013 Daytime Running Lamp Enable
03/31/2014
DRL (Daytime Running Lamp) ENABLE
Ram 2500 3500, 4500 and 5500 trucks not equipped with daytime running lamps (sales code LMK, LM1
or LM5) can have the feature enabled by the dealer. This service call will not be covered under warranty.
Dealer charges may apply.
This is done by adding DRL as a dealer installed option and then reconfiguring the vehicle. There are
several sales codes available for DRL depending upon head lamp type and market. The appropriate sales
code should be added to the vehicle configuration as follows:

The dealer should add the DRL option to the vehicle using the VEHICLE OPTION UPDATES page in
DEALERCONNECT. A link to the page can be found in the WARRANTY ADMINISTRATION pane under the
SERVICE tab. Once the appropriate sales code has been added, the vehicle should be reconfigured using
the RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION routine in WiTech. This routine can be found under the
DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES tab. After the vehicle has been reconfigured, a hard reset of the BCM should
be performed and all fault codes that may have been set during the process should be cleared.
Seems like Big Brother is really watching.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I test drove a limited and had the same experience, and when I flipped the high beams to show the driver it was the low beams, they almost wrecked. So I didn't do that again. We like the auto low beam features with oncoming traffic. It's not perfect, some street lights and house lights effect it, but works fairly well even with tails lights.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I have a 2016 Laramie and with 97 miles on it had to make a cross country trip. I got flashed by about every 4th oncoming vehicle....I am going to get mine adjusted down.
I had day time running lights turned on at dealer and works great, can run with headlights only or headlights and fog light both on. http://www.*****************/forum/...tting-power-lights-off-when-ignition-off.html
I just now hung up the telephone talking to my dealer. Asked about getting the Day Time Running lights.
More Bovine Excrement from him....and I quote "because we are in the State of California, we can not order the DRL (Daytime Running Lights)and again I quote "DRL are illegal in California" and Chrysler will not let us order them and or install them as a Dealer Installed Option. :doh:
So tomorrow I am going to call Chrysler Customer Service.:smileup:

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I just now hung up the telephone talking to my dealer. Asked about getting the Day Time Running lights.
More Bovine Excrement from him....and I quote "because we are in the State of California, we can not order the DRL (Daytime Running Lights)and again I quote "DRL are illegal in California" and Chrysler will not let us order them and or install them as a Dealer Installed Option. :doh:
So tomorrow I am going to call Chrysler Customer Service.:smileup:
I was able to have the ambers turned on all time as my DRL using the LM5 option code by my dealer. Anytime my car is in drive the ambers are turned on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts