DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this forum and have a quick question. We have '97 Ram Laramie we are replacing and I'm going to look at a Ram 1500 Express. The listing for it has the standard features for an Express like bedliner and fog lights but, the tires are 17" and the carfax has it listed as a Tradesman. Wasn't standard 20" tires? or was that an upgrade feature? Thank you for your help. I'm not so car/truck bright.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The Express is a low level truck. It is a quick order package for the Trademan. Standard tire is 17".

No sliding rear window, different interior, etc. A big step down from a Laramie.
A Big Horn or above package would have the nicer options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Apologies for posting in the wrong forum. Express is really what I can afford at this time. I missed out on one with 20” tires and I was confused why this one would have 17” when standard for the express was 20”.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
You are right, I was wrong, 20's are standard on the Express.

Maybe someone swapped the 20's for 17's.
Nothing really wrong with the 17's though.

I understand on the affording part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a quad cab. I loved the one I missed out on. I was suppose to meet the dealer at 1 and they texted me while I was on the road to meet them at 3 pm instead. By the time we sat down at 4 to do the paperwork someone else was selling it. They never took it out of the computer. The 17” tire one was almost identical but I didn’t want to take a second choice at the time and I started second guessing it because of the tires. I have it on hold to look at tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
As mentioned, the Express is essentially an option package on the Tradesman (base model) truck much like the Big Horn / Lone Star is an option package on the SLT truck.

The 20's were part of package 26C and the chrome clad 20's were an option on top of that. The bedliner will show as an option, but on a lot of the packages, like 26C, it deletes the bedliner and has to be added back on at the end.

My first Ram was an Express due to expenses and it worked well, but 2 years later I upgraded to the Big Horn; it really wasn't that much more on the 1500's and it's a really well rounded package.

One thing that you may want to pay attention to is the limited slip rear differential. I don't know if you had one in the past, but make sure and check because it's an often overlooked item and most Express trucks don't have it.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
When the Express came out in 2011 then its big selling point was its value. Standard color matched bumpers, 20" chrome wheels, Hemi, and fog lights. But it was based on a Tradesman/ST so the price point stayed low.

They've been slowly creeping away on the list of standard features, I am not sure what year it was, but they made the V6 standard and the Hemi an additional option, I think recently 17" wheels may have become standard-the build and price site shows that being the case on 2018s

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
When the Express came out in 2011 then its big selling point was its value. Standard color matched bumpers, 20" chrome wheels, Hemi, and fog lights. But it was based on a Tradesman/ST so the price point stayed low.

They've been slowly creeping away on the list of standard features, I am not sure what year it was, but they made the V6 standard and the Hemi an additional option, I think recently 17" wheels may have become standard-the build and price site shows that being the case on 2018s
Aside from value, it was a great looking truck with a nice appearance and drivetrain package; in car terms it would have been referred to as a stripper: it looks great, no frills, and goes fast, a-la the Camaro SS with manual windows and locks and not much else.

In 2014 the hemi was still standard but the 8HP70 was a $500 option. The 17's were standard, although it was rare to see them on the Express; they were usually reserved for the SLT's being ordered on fleet trucks. Now I see most Express trucks have 17's and a V6.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I liked my '14 Express a lot. I grew up with modest vehicles so the Express had everything I need. Look ma, Iphone integration AND Bluetooth!

It also allows decent payload numbers since it doesn't have too much non-essential equipment. I think my 2WD hemi crewcab had 1675lb of payload. It never got stuck on the occasions I took it off road. Even with 4wd you still get about 1500lbs of payload so it's useful as a truck, and it TAKES OFF at the light even with the 6 speed and 3.21 RAR I had. I wouldn't have gotten rid of it if it wasn't for more payload I wanted to be able to carry at least one motorcycle in the bed, tow a decent sized trailer and haul the whole family in the cab. Dudes in our family are not light, I think my pop is the lightest one at 200 so the boys are not gonna grow up to be long distance runners. :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Express may be considered "entry" level but my '15 Blackout Edition (Hemi, 20" rims, projector/LEDs, etc) has everything I want/need in a DD and more. IMO one of the best looking packages that doesn't break the bank account otherwise I wouldn't have bought a RAM.

I don't get impressed easily by bling and gadgets.....YMMV

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah not trying to deride the Express, just state what it is. It is actually the trim I was looking to buy, but I had to get a Lone Star since that was the lowest trim the 8speed Hemi combo was available in for 2013. That was a must have for me and a late availability option, which means they roll it out in the high level trims first.

I like the color match, and it has fog lights-I really like having those, and the stronger transfer case. TBF though if I had one I'd be on my 3rd or 4 th front bumper instead of my 2nd since the Express has a plastic one

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
As everyone else in this thread who owned one has stated, I loved my Express. Coming from a 02' F150, my 15' Express was leaps and bounds ahead of what I was used to in terms of technology and especially performance. I'd keep looking around. There are many 18' Express truck optioned well around where I live. Most jump up to the SLT/Big Horn (as did I) but I really liked my Express, it was a great truck for what it was.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Aside from value, it was a great looking truck with a nice appearance and drivetrain package; in car terms it would have been referred to as a stripper: it looks great, no frills, and goes fast, a-la the Camaro SS with manual windows and locks and not much else.
This is precisely why I bought mine back in early '15. The Express was about the only remnant of the days when budget muscle cars were readily available- that's precisely what the Plymouth Road Runner and Dodge Super Bee originally started out as- budget alternatives to the GTX and Coronet R/T.

Dodge has taken this concept and applied it (of sorts) to the Challenger Scat Pack- it is essentially a de-contented Challenger SRT 392. For 2019, it's even available with the wide body package that originally came on the Demon, then made available on the Hellcat Widebody. Now, it's available on the Hellcat, Hellcat Redeye (797hp), SRT and Scat Pack. Hell yeah performance!!!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Dodge has taken this concept and applied it (of sorts) to the Challenger Scat Pack- it is essentially a de-contented Challenger SRT 392. For 2019, it's even available with the wide body package that originally came on the Demon, then made available on the Hellcat Widebody. Now, it's available on the Hellcat, Hellcat Redeye (797hp), SRT and Scat Pack. Hell yeah performance!!!
I think the Scat Packs are great; I don't like leatger and you get the same powertrain with them that the SRTs come with-upgrafing the suspension and brakes is a factory option. Also the Treadlightly discount isn't applicable to SRTs, so a lot of people get the SP to get the Apache Hemi at 1% below invoice. Its a good time to be a car guy, there are some great options out there; less variety, but Dodge is still building muscle cars and Ford and Chevy have the ponies covered

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I agree, I'm all for the Scat Packs, it's on my wish list; the '19 gets launch assist and line locks...I didn't expect line locks, but fna, Dodge is bringing the fun.

Now, if Ram would hurry up and take those "Classic" 2019 Rams and throw an Apache under the hood, we're all ready for a Scat Pack Ram. I think the 4G design is much more conducive to a Scat Pack than the 5G....by FAR, and they clearly have the parts laying around.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I agree, I'm all for the Scat Packs, it's on my wish list; the '19 gets launch assist and line locks...I didn't expect line locks, but fna, Dodge is bringing the fun.

Now, if Ram would hurry up and take those "Classic" 2019 Rams and throw an Apache under the hood, we're all ready for a Scat Pack Ram. I think the 4G design is much more conducive to a Scat Pack than the 5G....by FAR, and they clearly have the parts laying around.
Prefix will swap an Apache into your Ram a la carte. They're the same company that builds the gen 3 race Hemis for the Trans Am Challengers

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
my second express i loved both i dont need all the toys in it, my wife gets the fancy suvs with all the bells and whistles, when i retire and where down to one truck then ill get the top of the line with toys.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Don't get hung up on the trim level, just look at the truck and make sure it is equipped with what you want.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Don't get hung up on the trim level, just look at the truck and make sure it is equipped with what you want.

^^That makes too much sense

1 - 20 of 22 Posts