DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Best TCO, factoring in Oil Change, DEF, Fuel costs, and 6 7000lb 300m tow's per year, over 3 years:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all,
I was picking op a soft top for my wife's jeep on Memorial Day, and noticed a nice pearl white Laramie EcoD. I love technology and I've been really interested in the Eco since it first came out, but not seriously since I really love my bright white Laramie, 2013 V8. I had hail damage, and somebody close to me side swiped the fender pretty bad, and after looking into the repairs, and the low pay out on claims, I was dreading dealing with it.

In short, I traded my 2013 for the 2016. I've had it for a few days now and just for fun I thought I was post some differences I noticed.

I'm not an expert and don't pile through every option like some, so I realize some of these difference may be options and packages. But I got a decent price on this and a decent trade in considering the damage, soo....

1. My 2016 has projector lights like the old unit, but they do not seem anywhere near as bright.
2. Steering feels heavier than before, which is actually nice for towing, but the old one was a bit more "perfect".
3. Black leather interior is identical, however the backup camera seems more walleyed, and not a clear. Also, the screen seems smaller. 8.4N
4. The wheel wells... The old truck had a more complete sheilding of the engine, where as I can see the alternator on my truck just standing next to it.
5. Alpine stereo system does not sound nearly as good. The mid's are missing and it's all base. I had the sub on the old one as well but for some reason it's very different. Mind you it's better than most vehical's Ive ever owned, but the old one was just soooo goood.
6. The new rear LED bed lights are really nice.
7. the Plastic bed liner seems beefier and more polished than the old one. There are caps surrounding the interior tie down but on the old unit there were just openings. This complicates putting my bed cover back on as it has drainage tubs that you just stuck in the openings to keep the bed dry. I have not looked into this yet so maybe I just removed the caps?
8. The diesel fuel cover looks like disposable plastic like a red solo cup.
9. MPG HEMI... I use to work 3 miles from my house, and I averaged 13.5 MPG. I then got a new job 25 miles from my house and averaged 16MPG from our local tollway. This is part of the reason I decided to try the Eco. I now average 26MPG. Of course I don't know what the daily 3 mile would be.
10. New one has no CD player.
11. Old one had tow hooks, new one did not. Dealer threw them in for me, which we very cool. Thanks Greenville Chysler Doge... Only issue, they look very different, as the are so close to the bumper it might actually be an issue to use them. Mainly I like them to act as a fender bender protector so not too big of an issue for me. I'm also wondering if the dealer got the right part.
12. Acceleration is not bad for the first second, and it's easy to chirp the tires with all the torque, but it runs out of steam much faster than the hemi, which gave a nice smooth high G feeling up to 80. That said, it's great for a truck like that.
13. both has 3.92 Rear Diff, 2015 V8 towed 10,500, Eco 8,400. I tow a 7500lb bumper pull RV and the V8 handled it with no issues, but 10MPG highway. have not had the pleasure of tying out the diesel. I was worried about the lower weight rating but honestly the V8 rear would sag so i don't think you could really safely do log distances over 8400lb anyway.
14. The new truck has front parking sensors in addition to rear like the old one.

The things I miss most about the old one besides the acceleration, v8 rumble, is the ultra bright headlights and the awesome sounding system. Unfortunately I don't think I can correct these.

No buyers remorse here. I did the math on the DEF, and Diesel and at current rates I'll save about 1000k in fuel a year, more if fuel prices go up. That said, It was probably not enough to do a trade in, but like I said I wanted to play with the new engine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the new vehicle. It helps to live about 15 miles from a TA truckstop that has DEF at the island pump. But be careful pumping more than 5 gallons or you might get splashed with UREA. ( I remember from biology that's another word for pee.)

If you guys know how I might upgrade the sound or Headlights let me know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Look on the custom mod threads for audio / video. You may just need to adjust the treble, midrange and bass for your preference (boost the mids and lower the bass). Most folks have the problem of mostly all mids with very poor highs and bass, kind of a washed out sound.

Seems the consensus is that the 3 small speakers (3 1/2") in the dash, 2 rear door speakers (6x9") and the sub woofer(8") can be swapped out fairly easily for a lot better sound. Other speakers are hard to get to for little benefit. Replacing the dash speakers seems to give the most bang for the buck and are easy to replace (center is a little harder) with the right harness to tap into the factory wiring (look on Crutchfield or Amazon for the harnesses...dash harness is different than the door and subwoofer). Front door speakers only push low ranges so not really worth the effort. Rear door speakers are the hardest since it takes a bit to remove the interior door panel. Pioneer has an 8"sub that fits right and attaches easily with the right harness. Other subs need some work to fit in the sub box that comes in the RAM. Some threads have step-by-step directions and pics for swapping out the speakers. Haven't got my truck delivered yet, but am looking at upgrading the sound system if it doesn't sound like it should.

Don't know about the headlights, but the custom mod thread for exterior lighting may have your answer, or just post the question.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Regarding upgrading the headlights, I agree the stock ones suck. I installed HIDs in my '16 Laramie; worlds better! Getting ready to install HID fog lights as well. I found a plug-n-play system for both low beams & fogs that doesn't even require running a power harness to the battery. If I get some time in the next week or so I'm going to post a how-to thread in the exterior lighting mods section.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nice comparison and feedback. I tried the ED and just didn't like the feel of lack of power vs my Hemi with 3.21. The CD player is an option now, I think around $300 from the factory, seems way too much to me. I think you might be able to do a headlight bulb swap, there is one for the standard headlights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts