DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member/Ram Big Horn owner from Florida - posted in the intro section and pics were requested :). Only had it a few days, added a set of Husky X-Acts right away, and have a tonneau, side-steps, and bed rug on the way. The corner of the box you see in the passenger seat is a Mopar Rear View camera kit I'm having added next week. Once you've had Rear View Cam it's a bit of a shock to not have it lol, so decided to go ahead bite the bullet and get it done while I was getting the CC recall fix. Realistically the price at the dealer is very close to some of the aftermarket non-mopar setups when it was all said and done, right around $525 installed. Anyway, a few pics below, will add more as parts are installed.

I chose Husky over Weathertech due to the material, they are more rubber/pliable than the Weathertech's, which are somewhat stiff material. Easier to get in and out for cleaning than the WT's. Oh i also picked up some Mopar Deluxe Mud Flaps, will get those on soon too.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Congrats on the new (to you) Ram! It looks great, especially with the quad cab.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new (to you) Ram! It looks great, especially with the quad cab.
Thanks yeah I've always preferred the quad over the crew regardless of brand - don't really need the "4 person" cab and like the normal bed length over the 5.7".

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Same here, love my quad cab

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few items arrived - Amazon Tonneau and also a BedRug liner. Amazon (Tyger) tonneau is decent for the price - went on easy enough, rears corners seem like they might stick out a bit, but nothing major. Basic hardware same as most others - the Extang, UC, Torza, etc are probably going to be a bit nicer, but for half the cost it will do what I need for the time being. Survived a good rain shower today as well with no leaking. BedRug's I love, had the full version in my previous truck, but since I already had the factory liner I figured I would just try the floor liner model this time. Will probably add the tailgate cover as well though...

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
Nice looking Ram, congrats. I always ran WeatherTech's in the past but took a chance on the Husky WeatherBeater's as well last Oct. when I bought my new Ram. I've been happy with them, they do the job and it was nice to save a few $$.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all - I like the Husky's - may add the Husky Mud Flaps as well. I had bought the Mopar Molded flaps but with people talking about how they rub the clearcoat and paint I decided not to use them so returned them. I may just go with Mopar rubber flaps, or the Husky flaps, not sure yet.

I added sidesteps yesterday, and truck is at dealer today getting backup camera installed, PCM/CC fix, and tailgate actuator fix if needed as well.

Only other thing on my short list really is leveling - I've always leveled (or just flat out lifted) my trucks in the past, but haven't decided if I will do this one or not. Realistically this is a daily driver/boat puller, not a "hit the woods/throw some mud" kinda truck for me - those years are past me I'm afraid lol. So, not sure if I'm going to mess with it on the 1500. It's just such an easier process with the 5100's and you don't have the UCA/BJ issues like you did with the older spacer style kits is only reason I'm thinking about it now, tbh. I ran a spacer level kit on my '05 F150 with 35 Toyo MC's and it was a blast, but the older, kinder, gentler :) me will likely only run 33 or maybe 34" AT's lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Few more updates, I installed a set of Tyger steps (same company as the Amazon Top) - Overall I'm pretty impressed. For 1/3 price of the oem steps they are very nice, solid mount and good hardware, relatively simple to install (My 2016 only had threaded inserts in the front mount location, the middle and rear required the backing plate setup). The only negative might be the chintzy covers for the mounting brackets, they are plastic and secure with plastic pop-rivet type connectors. I didn't even bother installing them as I suspect they would not last long. One other thing to note they do not extend back to the bed section like my friends OEM Mopar steps - although he has crew cab as well so not sure if the OEM quad cab steps do this or not... Would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker. Took a few pics, they are dirty it's basically rained here every day.

Also installed the matching bedrug tailgate cover... This is just a personal preference deal, really a fan of the Bedrug products.

So after getting the backup camera installed, the image was really, really small on the RA2 radio. The image is square and the RA2 is sort of a "wide" screen, so it was like looking at SD on a HDTV, with bars on the side. I was already on the fence about upgrading the radio, so this pushed me over the edge. I grabbed the kit from infotainment and upgraded to the 8.4AN. It was a bit costly, but they offer mil discount and a good trade in program which offset the cost a decent amount. I did a more detailed write up in the Audio/Video forum if any wants to see more of the details...

Interior Mods - Audio/Vidio... 8.4AN upgrade from RA2 thread post

RA2 -

8.4AN Upgrade...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Oh and regarding the mud flaps, I had decided against the Mopar molded due to reports of them cutting into the paint, clogging up, etc - and then decided to go with the mopar rubber flaps. Dealer ordered them but now there is some sort of hold up due to switching vendors or something like that :(.

Also more about the top - it's working fine (corners stick up a bit) but I really had my heart set on a hard top, but didn't want a solid cover like a fiberglass or Undercover - had a painted ARE on a previous truck and it was more of a hassle than anything. So have been looking at hard folders. Most common seem to be the BakFlip G2/MX4, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, and the Undercover Flex. I guess it must be hard to make a good hard folding top though, as they all get complaints all over the net about leaking, sagging, fading, etc. :(. Two shops in my area won't even sell Bakflip without making the customer sign a waiver that any follow issues deal directly with Manf., the customer service is so bad apparently. It was down to the UC Flex or Solid Fold, I liked the UC Flex better due to the latches, but there are several reviews stating how bad it leaks, and that the panels doesn't hold up more than a year or so, etc. Also bunch of leaky reviews for the Solid Fold as well. There's also the G4 FoldACover, don't know much about it as no local shops offer it, so have been researching on the net.

Is it just not possible to make a solid folder without leaking? I guess all the joints are just leaks waiting to happen. The way it's going, I may just stick with the soft folder but move into a nice one with better hardware, etc.

Edit - seems like all the leaks come from the folding parts on the hard folders - either right away in some cases, or withing a few months of use. Maybe a hybrid hard folder with a soft cover over the hard panels is the best solution, although reviews on those aren't great either.

·
3,245 Posts
Wow, I'm really impressed with your 8.4 upgrade. Did you do that yourself? I've seen it done before in the past, but only where the existing heat/AC knobs had to remain and a custom bezel was put in place. Great job!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow, I'm really impressed with your 8.4 upgrade. Did you do that yourself? I've seen it done before in the past, but only where the existing heat/AC knobs had to remain and a custom bezel was put in place. Great job!
Thanks, yes I did it myself, with the kit from infotainment - it includes everything you need including the upgraded bezel. Was pretty straitforward and took about an hour total. They have a video that pretty much walks you through it step by step.

Well don't know if the youtube embed is working, but you can get to from the infotainment page also - https://www.infotainment.com/products/factory-ram-1500-7sp-gps-navigation-8-4an-ra4-radio-upgrade

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHVl6IC6NA

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love free mods...

Love free mods :). Removed the "what were they thinking" vinyl stickers from the B-Pillars. Looks so much better imo. Cleanup was a bit time consuming, I didn't have any gooBgone but used mineral spirits to take of the glue remnants. Prob took about an hour for both sides, at a "leisurely" pace :). GBG which most use might be quicker, not sure.

Before:

After:

·
3,245 Posts
Love free mods :). Removed the "what were they thinking" vinyl stickers from the B-Pillars. Looks so much better imo. Cleanup was a bit time consuming, I didn't have any gooBgone but used mineral spirits to take of the glue remnants. Prob took about an hour for both sides, at a "leisurely" pace :). GBG which most use might be quicker, not sure.

Before:

After:
That does look much cleaner. I need to get around to doing mine as well. They're in good shape and the truck is garage kept, but it does look cleaner without. My 15' Express didn't have the vinyl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HArd Top

Oh and regarding the mud flaps, I had decided against the Mopar molded due to reports of them cutting into the paint, clogging up, etc - and then decided to go with the mopar rubber flaps. Dealer ordered them but now there is some sort of hold up due to switching vendors or something like that :(.

Also more about the top - it's working fine (corners stick up a bit) but I really had my heart set on a hard top, but didn't want a solid cover like a fiberglass or Undercover - had a painted ARE on a previous truck and it was more of a hassle than anything. So have been looking at hard folders. Most common seem to be the BakFlip G2/MX4, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, and the Undercover Flex. I guess it must be hard to make a good hard folding top though, as they all get complaints all over the net about leaking, sagging, fading, etc. :(. Two shops in my area won't even sell Bakflip without making the customer sign a waiver that any follow issues deal directly with Manf., the customer service is so bad apparently. It was down to the UC Flex or Solid Fold, I liked the UC Flex better due to the latches, but there are several reviews stating how bad it leaks, and that the panels doesn't hold up more than a year or so, etc. Also bunch of leaky reviews for the Solid Fold as well. There's also the G4 FoldACover, don't know much about it as no local shops offer it, so have been researching on the net.

Is it just not possible to make a solid folder without leaking? I guess all the joints are just leaks waiting to happen. The way it's going, I may just stick with the soft folder but move into a nice one with better hardware, etc.

Edit - seems like all the leaks come from the folding parts on the hard folders - either right away in some cases, or withing a few months of use. Maybe a hybrid hard folder with a soft cover over the hard panels is the best solution, although reviews on those aren't great either.
Why not the, https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/covers they have good reviews? I was thing about one myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A beautiful truck! I'm partial to the 2016s since I purchased mine earlier this year. I like your upgrade of the radio. It really makes the truck more complete.
Enjoy your new baby!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts