DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn and I want to upgrade my headlights with Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). I have read in multiple places, that some dealers could enable it, and others couldn't. Also most of what I have read are every year, except for 2016.

Has anyone had this done and had success with it? I really would like to have this done if its possible.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

·
It's Showtime!
653 Posts
I have a 17 that the dealer said they could not activate them. I did it with Appcar DiagFCA software. It requires software, license & a compatible dongle to plug into the OBD port & USB on the PC.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I have a 17 that the dealer said they could not activate them. I did it with Appcar DiagFCA software. It requires software, license & a compatible dongle to plug into the OBD port & USB on the PC.
How much did it cost you to buy the software and associated stuff? Where did you get it?

·
It's Showtime!
653 Posts
The software, dongle + 2 licenses (1 for my Challenger also) was a little under $100 if I recall. I ran across someone else talking about it on one of our other forums. There's a lot also using Alpha OBD which is similar I believe. Here is a link for Appcar DiagFCA and you can probably Google & find the other. Appcar DiagFCA is out of Europe, you pay for it and then they send a link for download (if I remember correctly). Once you install you hook the PC to the vehicle via the dongle & it will download the database for it, then you can make changes. Be aware you can get into all kind of settings and can kill the vehicle if you do something wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The software, dongle + 2 licenses (1 for my Challenger also) was a little under $100 if I recall. I ran across someone else talking about it on one of our other forums. There's a lot also using Alpha OBD which is similar I believe. Here is a link for Appcar DiagFCA and you can probably Google & find the other. Appcar DiagFCA is out of Europe, you pay for it and then they send a link for download (if I remember correctly). Once you install you hook the PC to the vehicle via the dongle & it will download the database for it, then you can make changes. Be aware you can get into all kind of settings and can kill the vehicle if you do something wrong.
Thanks for the info!

Is your truck a 2500? I heard that in 2016 - 2019 I believe it was and 2500s and up that had DRLs as an "option" that could be turned on. I have also heard that some people had their dealership change their VIN to appear to be a Canadian vehicle because that my law have to have DRLs. Then turned the DRLs on, and then swapped the VIN back to an American VIN.

·
It's Showtime!
653 Posts
I have a Tradesman so I don't have full access to the EVIC functions that can be accessed through the radio, just basic. Trucks with the full EVIC can probably turn them on without software or going to the dealer. I don't know anything about being able to swap VINs but I think they would still have to be turned on even swapping to a Canadian VIN.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The dealer can do it, some don't want to be bothered or don't know how. I did my 2016 using AlphaOBD software. You can select your headlights or your fogs or your running lights to be the DLRs. And you can change the configuration any time you want. You will also be able to turn them on or off with the radio screen settings.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I’m able to turn mine off or on in the “settings“ on my radio screen. I've done it on trucks with the 5 inch screen and the 8.4 inch screen.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I’m able to turn mine off or on in the “settings“ on my radio screen. I've done it on trucks with the 5 inch screen and the 8.4 inch screen.
As it should be with all activated DLRs.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,269 Posts
A few years ago, before my 2017 Ram was totaled, I gave my dealer this PDF to get them to turn on my DLRs. They did it for free. I hope this helps. Enjoy the forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
On my 2015 RAM 1500 I set my light switch to Automatic so they turn on after dark automatically. Then I put a plastic jug cap over the light sensor on the dash. Voila light are on whenever the ignition is on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts