DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, getting ready to replace my 1999 1500 Laramie SLT. Looking hard at the Rams. Test drove a Lonestar 1500 with the 5.7 engine and 8 speed transmission. This one had a 3.92 rear end.

The fist problem I had was hitting my head on the door jamb getting into it. The seat was lowered but forward a little. I tested it down and back and still had to curl my head to get in. I am considered tall but only 6'2". What is this about? Is the door way smaller than it use to be. I tested my 99 1500 and don't have to curl at all. I did notice that I step down into it and the new one I have to step up into it. This could be a deal breaker if the Fords are bigger. A full sized truck should fit me.

The next problem was when I started the engine. It was very loud. Kind of sounded like it was racing, cold warm up maybe. But it did not stop. RPMs were under 1000 but it sounded loud.

Finally, when I accelerated from a stop it sounds like the transmission is trying to shift right away. It sounds like it is slipping as it moves slowly then shifts with a jerk. Still under 5 miles an hour. I wondered if this might be an effect of the 3.92 rear end.

I really wanted to like this truck because I don't like the other brands. I would appreciate any feedback you have. Especially about the engine and transmission.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Was it a 2016 Ram ??

Drive another 5.7 to see if it shifts the same way The cold start up should only be noisy for about 20 seconds, the RPM should running around 700 - 800 when you are ready to start driving

You have to decide if bumping your head is worth it

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does the truck you drove have the OEM steps? I'm 6'1" and have no problems at all, but, I don't have steps on my truck. I notice mine sounds like a jet taking off when I first start it when it's cold. Within 30 seconds it quiets down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the quick response. I am trying to think this through pretty quick. I don't get a lot of free time to shop. it was a 2016. I am going to try a test again with a 3.21 rear end and some warm up time. This one did not have much gas in it so the salesman did not let it warm up. Comments about the jet sound describe it well. I was thinking that maybe the problem was that the engine was the only thing I could hear. My 99 rattles and has wind noise so maybe the problem was that there was no noise but the engine.

I bought the 99 new. 16 years of good service but it had the crumbling dashboard problem along with other plastic failures. does anyone know if dodge figured out how to make plastic that lasts?

Maybe I'll see if they will throw in a yoga class to make me flexible again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I don't know about door size but I think it's more the windshield is laid back more. I'm 6'3" and 73 YO, I can get in nicely with the OEM wheel to wheel steps on my 2014 Sport.

While I do duck slightly, that move is far from a reason I would use to eliminate a Ram 1500.

Drive a couple more and a couple Ford's and Silverado's of the same category, then make your judgement on what to buy. The ride and smoothness is much more important to me than getting in.

But your money your choice. Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi folks, getting ready to replace my 1999 1500 Laramie SLT. Looking hard at the Rams. Test drove a Lonestar 1500 with the 5.7 engine and 8 speed transmission. This one had a 3.92 rear end.

The fist problem I had was hitting my head on the door jamb getting into it. The seat was lowered but forward a little. I tested it down and back and still had to curl my head to get in. I am considered tall but only 6'2". What is this about? Is the door way smaller than it use to be. I tested my 99 1500 and don't have to curl at all. I did notice that I step down into it and the new one I have to step up into it. This could be a deal breaker if the Fords are bigger. A full sized truck should fit me.

The next problem was when I started the engine. It was very loud. Kind of sounded like it was racing, cold warm up maybe. But it did not stop. RPMs were under 1000 but it sounded loud.

Finally, when I accelerated from a stop it sounds like the transmission is trying to shift right away. It sounds like it is slipping as it moves slowly then shifts with a jerk. Still under 5 miles an hour. I wondered if this might be an effect of the 3.92 rear end.

I really wanted to like this truck because I don't like the other brands. I would appreciate any feedback you have. Especially about the engine and transmission.
When we bought our Jeep Cherokee last year the first one was not as good as the one we bought. Try another one. I too am 6.2. I rented a 2013 1500 and had no problem hitting my fat head.

·
Registered
752 Posts
When you're driving an 8spd with a 3.92 gear set the first to second gear is going to be a real quick switch. Compared even to the 645RFE it has a much deeper set of ratios.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th Reverse
4.714 3.143 2.106 1.667 1.285 1.000 0.839 0.667 3.300

So when you multiply those gears by 3.92 vs 3.21 you get some wildly different numbers.
18.478 Vs 15.131

Then when you compare to the 645RFE

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Reverse
3.0 1.67 1.50 1.00 .75 .63 3.000

First Gear's final ratio being 11.76

Now, if it's truly slipping that's a WHOLE OTHER ball of wax and I'd avoid it too. But I'm just trying to illustrate that it's going to shift real quick off the line.

Luke

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just bought a '16 Crew Cab Sport and I'm 6'1" and have side steps and haven't noticed head-bumping. But I'm coming from a Tacoma so maybe I'm used to crunching in.

As to the shifting and starting, I haven't noticed any of that.

About to head out to lunch so I guess I'll check now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts