DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting a coat of wax on the RAM when I noticed a paint defect on the tailgate of the truck. There was about a four inch circular area that appears to have not been painted. The color of the truck is True Blue Pearl, I can see a light blue base coat that is covered with clear but the top color is completely missing. I noticed it when the sunlight hit it

Dodge does not have a great record when it comes to applying paint but how did this one get past quality control. Granted it's hard to see in low light or if you're standing over it looking down, but still.

Fortunately I know the body shop manager of a local Dodge dealer very well and I know he will make it perfect, also I will only have to leave the tailgate behind for a few days.

·
Registered
279 Posts
can you post pics? the closer i look the more flaws im finding with my paint as well...my truck being white makes it very difficult. Would love to see what you are seeing.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
My 2016 Ram 1500 was looked at today by my own body shop
I now have barely over 100 miles on it

Orange Peel is bad, really shows up on the Burgundy color that they call Delmonico Red Pearl

2 large dust nibs under the paint just above the tailgate handle
Dent in the front drivers side door near the door handle, needs to be pulled out by a PDR shop
drivers side bed sheet metal has waves in it, to my eye it is barely noticeable, but the body shop guy saw it just by walking around the truck one time
there is a Pea sized gob of Clear Coat hanging where the right front fender & the upper bumper fascia seam is

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Orange Peel is bad, really shows up on the Burgundy color that they call Delmonico Red Pearl
Chrysler has a very bad problem with orange peel. Most of my Chrysler vehicles have had bad orange peel. I saw a 47,XXX dollar charger on the showroom floor that was terrible.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here we go again. I had terrible paint on my 2012 Ram and have checked for bad paint reports on this forum for the past 4 model years. Nothing has changed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Funny enough, I've read that the paint quality coming out of the Warren plant is terrible, and the paint quality coming out of the plant in Mexico is much better... My 2500 should be here any day, and I hope that the paint looks alright. I'll make sure to do a really thorough walk around to make sure that everything is good and it actually has everything I ordered.

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Supposedly Ram production is moving from Warren to Sterling Heights. Hopefully the paint quality improves, or at least becomes more consistent. I personally haven't noticed any flaws in my paint, but my truck is also white

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Supposedly Ram production is moving from Warren to Sterling Heights. Hopefully the paint quality improves, or at least becomes more consistent. I personally haven't noticed any flaws in my paint, but my truck is also white
If they move to Sterling Heights the paint might get better as they have a new paint shop there. My brother helped build it. It might be 2 years old now.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,432 Posts
The truck was prob. damaged in transport and was badly repaired. Ive heard from here how bad some of the RAMs are with paint issues. Mine fortunately has none of it. Black is a tough color but I couldn't find any orange peel or nubs waves drips globs nothing. I did find a very small indentation barely noticeable by my pass. front door handle. The dealer bodyshop made a paintless dent removal repair. Id hate to have a brand new truck that needed a complete paint job thats unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,432 Posts
My 2016 Ram 1500 was looked at today by my own body shop
I now have barely over 100 miles on it

2 large dust nibs under the paint just above the tailgate handle
Dent in the front drivers side door near the door handle, needs to be pulled out by a PDR shop
drivers side bed sheet metal has waves in it, to my eye it is barely noticeable, but the body shop guy saw it just by walking around the truck one time
there is a Pea sized gob of Clear Coat hanging where the right front fender & the upper bumper fascia seam is
Thats bullshit on a new truck. I know you ordered it and waited weeks for it. Now to have all those paint issues is just wrong. I hope the dealer makes it right to your satisfaction. That color is awesome though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The truck might have been damaged in shipment, but it is well known that shoddy paintwork comes out of the Warren plant. It is very likely that my 2012 had some bad paint right after it came out of the booth, had some hasty repairs and was run through the booth again. When I had some minor body work done, the folks at the body shop found two complete applications of base coat and clear coat.

I sure would like to buy another Ram (next generation), but not until I can be assured of better paint.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can you post pics? the closer i look the more flaws im finding with my paint as well...my truck being white makes it very difficult. Would love to see what you are seeing.
Sorry, no pics. We're getting hit with a blizzard soon and the truck is already covered in salt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Delmonico red, ordered in November, arrived middle January, currently been in the body shop 31 days, bad paint, body work, more bad paint, hood replacement! Hopefully I will have word from Chrysler 3/10/16 on my buy back case. I had a 12 with excellent black paint so hopefully it is a fluke and the next one I order is better. I will order a different color though, seeing the Delmonico red makes me throw up a little from all the heartache. Anyone know if they offer incentives for staying with Chrysler on the next purchase after a buy back?

·
Registered
35 Posts
hmm, we are looking into the Delmonico Red limited. I guess it will never be like Candy Apple Red. I would not except the delivery of a truck that was not painted perfectly, unless they drop the price to compensate you for the lost time and value. I think that would be fair. Unless the defect is to great to ignore.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have a Warren built truck (a WEDNESDAY truck, thank you very much!).

There are a couple dust nibs i have found, nothing bad. Overall pretty good paint job.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Delmonico red, ordered in November, arrived middle January, currently been in the body shop 31 days, bad paint, body work, more bad paint, hood replacement! Hopefully I will have word from Chrysler 3/10/16 on my buy back case. I had a 12 with excellent black paint so hopefully it is a fluke and the next one I order is better. I will order a different color though, seeing the Delmonico red makes me throw up a little from all the heartache. Anyone know if they offer incentives for staying with Chrysler on the next purchase after a buy back?
My 14 Limited paint was so bad they wanted to paint 3/4 of all body panels. I refused the order and ordered a Granite Crystal. Paint was so bad on the granite crystal they wet sanded lots of body panels and removed all the nibs. Don't know why I accepted the truck but I need a vehicle at the time. They gave me a 7yr 100k 0 deductible max care from Chrysler. So shoot for free warranty and don't take no for an answer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 14 Limited paint was so bad they wanted to paint 3/4 of all body panels. I refused the order and ordered a Granite Crystal. Paint was so bad on the granite crystal they wet sanded lots of body panels and removed all the nibs. Don't know why I accepted the truck but I need a vehicle at the time. They gave me a 7yr 100k 0 deductible max care from Chrysler. So shoot for free warranty and don't take no for an answer.
Wow, two for two, that would been a deal breaker for me. Wow I'm amazed we as consumers except these things. But I get it, if you need it, you are kinda stuck and good for you for at least getting a 7y 100k warranty out of them for the hassles. :smileup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
And people tell me....

How I shouldn't repaint my '14 truck because factory paint is "sooo much better" than any body shop can do.:doh:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts