DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve only got 4K miles on the truck and noticed this on 2 of the 4 wheels. I used chrome polish and could not get it to clean up. Am I nitpicking? Should I tell the dealer to warranty them? It’s like the chrome finish crap. I know they are plastic covers. But they are still expensive wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Definitely turn it into the stealership as a warranty issue.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Looks like they got etched by tire shine or something.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a new 2010 and I forget how many miles I had on it, but I want to say it was under the 12/12 and I took mine in to the dealer that I bought it from. The plastic started to peel away from the rims, you know the chrome/plastic covers 20 inch rims the 450 per rim ones, lol. They took pictures and sent them to FCA and within two weeks I had all new rims put on my Ram at FCA expense. No saying they will do the same for you, but I would try. I just bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Express and paid for the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty on rims and tires. That covers most everything up to 5000.00. I would make sure your dealer takes pictures and submit it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had the truck at the dealer, I Had to point it out to them, cause they said nothing was wrong. They tried to clean them and that did not fix it, so they finally took picture and are contacting fca. The body shop manager did say maybe the brake dust etched itself into my rims. Not sure if that can happen.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
. The body shop manager did say maybe the brake dust etched itself into my rims. Not sure if that can happen.

No.

I've been in mud that came to the top of my front bumper, gone 8 months without cleaning brake dust, and my chrome clad wheels don't have your issue after 82,000 miles

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found that hard to believe too. Guess it’s in fca hands now. I’ll update the thread once I hear something. I could see they thought I was being a pita. Well to bad, I spent a lot of $$ on this truck.

. The body shop manager did say maybe the brake dust etched itself into my rims. Not sure if that can happen.

No.

I've been in mud that came to the top of my front bumper, gone 8 months without cleaning brake dust, and my chrome clad wheels don't have your issue after 82,000 miles

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the dealer told me that Ram will not cover it, they are claiming brake dust caused the issue. I am not accepting that, so I am now waiting for Ram customer care to call me back. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
So the dealership must have told FCA that they believed it was brake dust when they sent in the images

I ran my 2009 chrome clad wheels for about a year & i only used DIY car washes on the whole truck, i never wiped it down or polished it
My Rims looked like new when i sold them
I put on after market rims with less chrome

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3 calls to corporate ram, oh we are having computer problems, than it is, we have no record of anything to do with your wheels.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
3 calls to corporate ram, oh we are having computer problems, than it is, we have no record of anything to do with your wheels.
Maybe not a bad thing...you know what your original dealer is going to do about it (nothing), maybe try a different dealer.

BTW FWIW one of my wheels has a small area similar to yours. Only a '17 with 7K miles on it so maybe a little bit disappointing. I noticed it as I was deep cleaning them in prep for polishing and waxing. Havent brought it up to my dealer yet, though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opened a new case with corporate. Said we still have no info. Left a message at the dealer with the new number. If I don’t hear back from the dealer I am emailing the vp of the dealership. They never call me back or tell me when parts arrive. I can’t wait to give corporate another piece of my mind.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I don't think your suppose to use chrome polish on chrome clad. Only real metal chrome such as the bumpers and exhaust tips.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I don't think your suppose to use chrome polish on chrome clad. Only real metal chrome such as the bumpers and exhaust tips.
You aren't. Wash and wax them like the rest of the truck

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I used Meguiars PlastX to get most of the crud and "discoloration" off of mine. Some of each wheel looked pitted like OPs pic, but 99% of it came off. Just a bit left behind, much like OP has on their wheel. Doesnt bother me too much because its not really on the face of the wheel so Im not in a rush to mention it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, mine have a dull almost "pitted" marks on the side that would be driving forward (if that makes sense). I need to get mine into the dealer as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I am finally making progress. The power of a Facebook review caught the vp of the dealerships attention. They are going to try and clay bar the rims and use some goo gone to try and clean them up. I’ll If that does not work and the fca rep says they won’t replace them. The dealership is going to do a good will warranty replacement on them. I will update again Tuesday after my appointment.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the dealer got whatever was on there off. They used claybar and a soap solution. I am happy. They blamed it on brake dust and that I bought a used truck. Reguardless if it was used, truck had under 4K miles and they could of cleaned it better. But I am happy and they look perfect.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted out. Thanks for following up!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
When I went to visit my truck before the dealer prepped it, I noted a few things that I purposely did not tell them. Just to see how much "care" they put into prepping it.

The most obvious was a softball size wasp nest under one of the bed rails inside the bed. It was abandoned (no wasps to be found) but I wanted to see if they actually got it out.

Aaaaand of course they did NOT. I didnt bother telling them, but it just goes to show how much they really "prep" it before handing it over. Funny thing is that they claimed they needed a whole day to prep it but probably only did 30 minutes of work on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts