DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Ram in pearl white which I purchased at 35k miles (now 369xx) came with an impeccable carfax and even though i stared hard at the body lines, i refuse to believe it’s ever been in an accident. However, when i was waxing it, I noticed there is white “overspray” on the driver side headlight (you can even see where there is a little rectangle as if there was tape holding something) and on the black plastic piece that spans the front behind the license plate on a little spot. The paint job is perfect, other than rail dust (which i clay-barred off). The paint on the bumper is fine, looks just like every other panel, and i can’t explain why a body shop wouldn’t remove a bumper to paint it if it was ever taken in to a body shop anyway. I have heard of paint issues on the 2014s and such, could this be another mark of the warren plant? best guesses? thanks... it’s bugging me

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Best guess is there was damage done to it during delivery from the factory and it was fixed before sale. This happens more often than you know and the dealer has no obligation (from what I've been told) to disclose it.

Second best guess is that it got damaged while the original owner had it and they had it fixed outside of insurance so it was never documented.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I personally do not trust carfax.
Reason being, I have personally owned vehicles that were wrecked and repaired using insurance and still came back with a clean carfax.

On your truck, it could have just a been a small repair such as a chip or very small dent.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out and double checked it again... on the passenger side headlight there is a small bit as well.

Are you guys aware of a way to tell if something has been replaced?

Just would like to know for peace of mind.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
See if you can find any decals or numbers anywhere on the fenders/ bumper/etc.

Might have to crawl under and around everything to give a good look.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
When the Ram is painted by the assembly plant, it is just the sheet metal that is painted
After the paint dries, the body is dropped onto the chassis
Then they install the dashboard, electrical harness, carpeting, seats, steering wheel, etc.

assembly line videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOTBqrgCn4

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked under it today... no decals or stickers... but I found more areas!
what is the best way to tell if its a genuine mopar bumper?

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
Front Chrome Bumper

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting... mine is plastic because it is a sport. :thk:

yeah, no stickers like that anyway. there is a sticker on the driver side but it is completely unreadable and isn't the same shape as that

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
Ram_itt
I see that you are in Watertown
Is that Connecticut or New York or ????

I am in Watertown Ct. for another 4 days, then i am heading back to my place in San Diego

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The PN sticker on a Sport bumper was likely removed before it was painted.

I got into an accident in my Ram that required the bumper to be replaced. I was the only one involved so I did it out of pocket instead of going through insurance. It woul not show up on a Carfax

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watertown, NY, GTyankee. What brings you out to the east coast from sunny san diego? :gy:

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
Every July i drive from San Diego to Connecticut to see most of my relatives & attend the annual family reunion
This year was the 107th reunion

I return to San Diego right around September 1st & go back to following around Oversize Semi Truck Loads

I stay at my Sisters place on Lake Zoar near Danbury, it is very peaceful & very calming

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Could have just been a scratched bumper cover and they had to paint it.
Any stickers on any of the bumper supports/crash pieces?

Any dents/bends anywhere on the supports or even the rad. support?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
paco, no obvious signs of damage.

GTyankee, nice pictures and nice truck! :smileup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts