DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2017 Ram 1500 Oil Leak from the oil filter/cooler adapter

9467 13
I recently noticed a substantial oil leak and thought that I had blown a rear seal. I had to get the truck towed because I was losing oil so fast. There was oil all over the back of the engine and dripping from the transmission. It turns out it is a leaking/cracked oil cooler/filter which is made of plastic. I have to get this fixed ASAP because I have a trip planned but come to find out this is a common issue with this engine and Ram has yet to address the problem. Shouldn't this be covered by warranty or a recall? Why would you make such a critical part out of plastic? Especially when a failure could do serious damage to the engine? Very poor design!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I recently noticed a substantial oil leak and thought that I had blown a rear seal. I had to get the truck towed because I was losing oil so fast. There was oil all over the back of the engine and dripping from the transmission. It turns out it is a leaking/cracked oil cooler/filter which is made of plastic. I have to get this fixed ASAP because I have a trip planned but come to find out this is a common issue with this engine and Ram has yet to address the problem. Shouldn't this be covered by warranty or a recall? Why would you make such a critical part out of plastic? Especially when a failure could do serious damage to the engine? Very poor design!
Mine is doing same thing its been to shop twice still leaking,going to shop again

· Registered
6 Posts
I have that same problem also on my 2016 Ram 1500, i thought it was my transmission or a power steering hose damage.... towed it to the dealer and they found out it was my oil filter cooling adapter cost me $1,100.00 for the repair and here's a thing my truck has a milage of 57000 km only and its just pass my 5 year warranty.
Truck is also a casa maintain, i was so much dissapointed with what happen, i wonder why the hell things like that happen on a very early stage and take note taking care of it so much. I hope that FCA RECALL should have to review things like this, so im calling the attention of who ever is incharge on this kinda matter, please FCA make some time to take a look on this issues for us people whos a RAM Truck owners...

· Registered
6 Posts
ATTN: FCA RECALL COMMITTEE
Anyone having same issues like i do please come out and make comment and post on it to FCA, so maybe our problem regarding our RAM Truck will be heard and for them to do reviews and see what thier gonna do.....

· Registered
3 Posts
I have that same problem also on my 2016 Ram 1500, i thought it was my transmission or a power steering hose damage.... towed it to the dealer and they found out it was my oil filter cooling adapter cost me $1,100.00 for the repair and here's a thing my truck has a milage of 57000 km only and its just pass my 5 year warranty.
Truck is also a casa maintain, i was so much dissapointed with what happen, i wonder why the hell things like that happen on a very early stage and take note taking care of it so much. I hope that FCA RECALL should have to review things like this, so im calling the attention of who ever is incharge on this kinda matter, please FCA make some time to take a look on this issues for us people whos a RAM Truck owners...
Same here. Still leaking. Back to shop today. 2017. 52 K miles. No more Rams for me after I sell this one.

· Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 is doing the same thing.

Same here 2017 1500 SLT Flex Fuel. I recently had my oil changed and this began shortly after. I took my truck back the the shop that changed my oil. They knew exactly what it was when they looked at it. The oil filter housing is cracked and leaking. He said they started seeing lots of newer Wranglers and more recently RAM.

Come to find out, the OEM housing is literally made of plastic. I bought a new housing set on Amazon for $160 and it is aluminum. Installing it tomorrow. Hoping that fixes it.

Here is what I purchased: Dorman 926-876 Upgraded Aluminum Engine Oil Filter Housing Compatible with Select Models (OE FIX) https://a.co/d/hgnUVQd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts