DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used truck drove it off the lot 500 miles home noticed the fuel gauge stick during a fill up and started reading normal after a quick pit stop. I drove to work the next day no issue sat in for lunch no issue and then when I got off work my truck would crank but would not start. The pump has been replaced now and the issue remains (the mechanics found the pump that was installed was actually just hanging loose inside the tank so it needed to be replaced regardless) the fuse for the pump motor was crispy but not blown when I went to check it and the last thing we could determine was the relay has fried. I have been scouring for a bypass or something to fix the relay but it appears that option is only viable up to the 2016 model.

Any information or suggestions other than spending 4-500 on a new TIPM and having to get a dealer to flash it to work (this is horse shit) would be a real life saver!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dont think there is any way to by pass this kind of stuff like in old days. To many thing involved. Not only relay has to cycle the pump on and off, but signals are sent back and forth to the ECM and modules. So if they dont see info they probably just dont send ignition signals and engine wont run. Can I guess you have replaced the relay and its a no go? There is on the newer vehicles a computer board right by if not attached to the battery. These now sometimes have voltage controls prior to modules and if shorts occure will burn up and key will power stuff but you wont get all functions. If pump grounded out the wires between pump and control point may be burned/melted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont think there is any way to by pass this kind of stuff like in old days. To many thing involved. Not only relay has to cycle the pump on and off, but signals are sent back and forth to the ECM and modules. So if they dont see info they probably just dont send ignition signals and engine wont run. Can I guess you have replaced the relay and its a no go? There is on the newer vehicles a computer board right by if not attached to the battery. These now sometimes have voltage controls prior to modules and if shorts occure will burn up and key will power stuff but you wont get all functions. If pump grounded out the wires between pump and control point may be burned/melted.
Everything is fully functional except for the fuel pump and the manual has 0 information about the relay and googling I have found 0 information on the 2017 other than getting my tipm sent in for repair from some random company for like $300 from what I have read these relays are soldered to the circuit board which makes replacing the relay difficult.. Not impossible

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
We had a late model chevy Malibu or something like that. The circuit board thing attached to battery was available from advance or autozone. So there might be hope. But my underlying question would be why did it burn up? Was it pump shorted or was it bad and draw to much? If so why didnt fuse blow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From reading the relay gets stuck open even with the vehicle off and I am also confused how it was burning but wouldn't blow and I assume with an extended period of time stuck open the relay finally gave up. This is all obviously guessing until I can find someone or hard facts as to what is happening why it's happening and how to resolve the issue permanently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts