DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 3500 6.4L with 35,800 miles has been suffering from an intermittent not starting problem for some time.
A couple of weeks ago it failed to start 5 times in one week.
I took it to the dealer, the second time for this problem.
When I took it in the first time, ~3 months ago there were multiple problems, cruise control wasn't working properly, radio wouldn't mute with the button on the dash, intermittent not starting problem, rear power window wasn't closing properly.
The not starting problem has occurred when using the key in the ignition, using the remote start on the key fob and when starting remotely with UConnect, every possible way I could start the truck has failed to do so at some time.
A component with the cruise control was replaced, I was hoping that would resolve the starting issue as well.
The dealer said they could not find the problem and that there were no codes related to the starting problem.
Tuesday evening ten weeks later place the fob into the ignition and it doesn't start, Wednesday evening the same, Friday morning, an hour later and that evening no start.
I had decided to record the Friday evening event just in case it didn't start.
Lo and behold, video proof that the truck didn't start, almost 5 minutes of trying.
Provided it to the dealer, they looked at it have tried to replicate the problem for two weeks with no success, no codes related to the starting issue. They would not contact FCA because they couldn't provide any info.
I had to call FCA and get them on the problem.
No relief from FCA though at this point, no truck, no rental vehicle provided due to the inconvenience.
Just keep getting the same line that without a code to go by they can't do anything even though the video I provided confirmed what I had been saying all along.
I asked the FCA rep if they had an electrical engineer on staff that could troubleshoot the problem, someone that could pin out the problem.
I told them that there has to be someone there smarter than the truck.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to proceed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2017 3500 6.4L with 35,800 miles has been suffering from an intermittent not starting problem for some time.
A couple of weeks ago it failed to start 5 times in one week.
I took it to the dealer, the second time for this problem.
When I took it in the first time, ~3 months ago there were multiple problems, cruise control wasn't working properly, radio wouldn't mute with the button on the dash, intermittent not starting problem, rear power window wasn't closing properly.
The not starting problem has occurred when using the key in the ignition, using the remote start on the key fob and when starting remotely with UConnect, every possible way I could start the truck has failed to do so at some time.
A component with the cruise control was replaced, I was hoping that would resolve the starting issue as well.
The dealer said they could not find the problem and that there were no codes related to the starting problem.
Tuesday evening ten weeks later place the fob into the ignition and it doesn't start, Wednesday evening the same, Friday morning, an hour later and that evening no start.
I had decided to record the Friday evening event just in case it didn't start.
Lo and behold, video proof that the truck didn't start, almost 5 minutes of trying.
Provided it to the dealer, they looked at it have tried to replicate the problem for two weeks with no success, no codes related to the starting issue. They would not contact FCA because they couldn't provide any info.
I had to call FCA and get them on the problem.
No relief from FCA though at this point, no truck, no rental vehicle provided due to the inconvenience.
Just keep getting the same line that without a code to go by they can't do anything even though the video I provided confirmed what I had been saying all along.
I asked the FCA rep if they had an electrical engineer on staff that could troubleshoot the problem, someone that could pin out the problem.
I told them that there has to be someone there smarter than the truck.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to proceed.
If it were mine I would pull the battery out and take it to a reputable battery store and have it load tested to see if there is a problem there .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.
They said they checked the battery when I took it in this time, no dead cells plenty of charge.
Friday morning the day of the threepeat I tried a jump battery, placed it in neutral just about everything I could to start it with no success for about 20 minutes.
Then it just finally decided to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heard from FCA today.
Since the dealer can't replicate the not starting problem FCA won't commit to repairing the problem past the warranty period even though it has been documented via a video of the truck failing to start.
I asked to speak to the FCA reps manager and she said that there was no one she could direct me to.
This is by far the worst customer service I've ever encountered.
FCA should be ashamed and embarrassed to market their vehicles the way they do.
I've had 4 recalls and an additional problem covered under warranty.
If you're reading this and considering purchasing an FCA vehicle think long and hard about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts