DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me 30 years to achieve a dream, this truck. It took 25 years of driving a Jeep Cherokee to keep my wife in good cars as she had to commute. I work from home (IT Support). I am 56, my wife died almost three years ago from the 2017/2018 flu at 54, so get your flu shot, she didn't. I just rang the cancer free bell for the second time in seven years, wife gone and no kids. Just a cat that will rip your forearms apart when he wants to play.

So, with my intro done, I have decided to make my R/T everything that a Georgia, NASCAR loving ******* has dreamed of. I have done a few things to the truck. Replaced the air intake with a K&N performance ait intake, got tired of the 22" rims ride and needed new tires anyway, purchased a Tire Rack package of raised white outlined Micheline's on 17" Method Racing wheels and last week a Belltech 4x2 drop.

Have plans for some vinyl graphics and performance exhaust. I am not interested in drag strip or getting tickets from the St Petersburg Florida police, so my thought is, as I have no social life, make myself happy and maybe go to some local car shows with a bad ass truck.

The truck already gets looks as it is white, lowered and the custom wheels, stock performance is great, however I am interested in making it a little more agressive, more rumble and more street cred. I have had many mid 60's cars and am on boat #14, sail and power, have a ton of tools and am a better shade tree mechanic than a computer repair tech, so the question is, what can yawl advise that may help me to fulfill my dreams at the easiest and lowest cost?

John

·
Registered
817 Posts
WELCOME from North-Central Florida. Lots of great info and very helpful members here. Do your research before you spend your money, then do whatever changes that make you happy! ENJOY!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Take a look, but don't go to crazy on huge performance up grades because there is always some one faster. Sound is important so I went with a flow master 40 series with 5" tips. Also a sprint booster for better throttle response, a pop out sun roof for sunny days, Vinyl graphics, and upgrade the tires and rims for old school looks.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,853 Posts
There are hundreds of muffler swaps to rid the OEM multi chamber 36” that comes from the factory. Everything from deletes to clamp ons, check out YouTube .

As far as performance, a custom engine and trans email tune from Greene Racing(there are other options) is the best bang for your buck modification to start with. You’ll need an unlocked PCM so expect it to cost near $1k with programmer. Any bolt on following will allow you to revise the tune FREE to optimize gains (intake/Headers/etc). If you’re hauling heavy, ask for a towing tune as these guys understand the powertrain with countless hours programming these trucks over 10 years.

The same German designed 8 speed in the 7-800 horsepower muscle cars is programmed lazy for fuel economy/safety, and the 5.7 engine leaves a lot of timing on the table due to cheap 87 Ethanol gas.

There is about 60+ ft-lbs of torque removed from first and second gear, so the first time you step on it after a tune it feels like the 345 race engine that engineering designed.

If you don’t have the anti slip differential in the rear, you’ll know right away. Eaton has developed a Helical gear locker for the 2011+ ZF 9.25 rear end coming out this month.
Godspeed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I put a procharger on my '14 in my own garage and love it. The only thing I didn't do myself was tune it. Luckily I didn't have to unlock my PCM. 2014 is last year for that. It saved me over $2k doing it myself as opposed to having the performance shop install it. I don't have anymore space in either of my garages. Otherwise I would have a fast car. So I decided to make the pick-up truck a little faster!

Reactions: Ric McC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a look, but don't go to crazy on huge performance up grades because there is always some one faster. Sound is important so I went with a flow master 40 series with 5" tips. Also a sprint booster for better throttle response, a pop out sun roof for sunny days, Vinyl graphics, and upgrade the tires and rims for old school looks.
What manufacturer did you use for the sun roof. I had one installed in my '88 Ranger and never had a leak issue. I would love to have one here in Florida. Did you use a local installer or national installer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I left a message for Greene Racing/Hemi Tuning I understand, after 2014 models the computer can't be cracked and needs to be replaced or something, then tuned. Is this the situation with this application> I am not looking for tickets in St Pete, just a little more punchy and a little more sound.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every local shop has their favorite exhaust system and all the car shows have their sponsors. I already have a K&N cold air intake installed, so it has a little more rumble, just want a little more without spending my 401k to do it. I don't understand the point of doing a complete cat back system for a truck that just cruises St Pete Fl and sometimes pulls a boat. With the cold air intake, the stock 2.5" pipes vs the 3" that comes with most cat back systems, what is the point. I have only done two burn outs in three years. With no weight it the rear, I have not been able to keep it straight for too long. Is there really any reason given my driving to do a complete cat back and not just the muffler?

·
Registered
239 Posts
What manufacturer did you use for the sun roof. I had one installed in my '88 Ranger and never had a leak issue. I would love to have one here in Florida. Did you use a local installer or national installer.
I used
Automotive Concepts
New Hope MN. 55427
763 535 2181
They do all the high end roofs, and wheels, for the sport celebrities in our area. This install was in 2013 $749.85
CR LAURENCE POP UP
SUNROOF - NP1636B5H--16X36
I love it, and it store behind my seat when off.
Comes on and off in a couple seconds
With a little leakage when going through high pressure car washes.
That's why i always use soft touch instead of touch free car washes.
Good Luck and Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I left a message for Greene Racing/Hemi Tuning I understand, after 2014 models the computer can't be cracked and needs to be replaced or something, then tuned. Is this the situation with this application> I am not looking for tickets in St Pete, just a little more punchy and a little more sound.

Jay Greene is very knowledgeable and quick in response. I have the Diablosport Trinity T2 platinum tuner so that I can get a custom tune. I have a flow master 40, K&N cold air intake, 180 degree thermostat, and a billet technology catch can. I just ordered a time from Greene. He’ll build it to what you want. Down to what octane you’ll be running. Definitely worth the money

·
Registered
3 Posts
It took me 30 years to achieve a dream, this truck. It took 25 years of driving a Jeep Cherokee to keep my wife in good cars as she had to commute. I work from home (IT Support). I am 56, my wife died almost three years ago from the 2017/2018 flu at 54, so get your flu shot, she didn't. I just rang the cancer free bell for the second time in seven years, wife gone and no kids. Just a cat that will rip your forearms apart when he wants to play.

So, with my intro done, I have decided to make my R/T everything that a Georgia, NASCAR loving ******* has dreamed of. I have done a few things to the truck. Replaced the air intake with a K&N performance ait intake, got tired of the 22" rims ride and needed new tires anyway, purchased a Tire Rack package of raised white outlined Micheline's on 17" Method Racing wheels and last week a Belltech 4x2 drop.

Have plans for some vinyl graphics and performance exhaust. I am not interested in drag strip or getting tickets from the St Petersburg Florida police, so my thought is, as I have no social life, make myself happy and maybe go to some local car shows with a bad ass truck.

The truck already gets looks as it is white, lowered and the custom wheels, stock performance is great, however I am interested in making it a little more agressive, more rumble and more street cred. I have had many mid 60's cars and am on boat #14, sail and power, have a ton of tools and am a better shade tree mechanic than a computer repair tech, so the question is, what can yawl advise that may help me to fulfill my dreams at the easiest and lowest cost?

John
I am sorry for the loss of your wife man, but glad that your cancer free. I have been cancer free ten years now, I know the fear. I am 52, I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, 6.4l Hemi. I am hoping to do the same to my Ram 6.4 liter that your doing to your RT and have done a lot of research and spoken to several 30 year techs in the dealerships and custom shops. I am going to get my engine foundation fortified first. I have been told the rods, pistons, cam, lifters and all will need to be upgraded before running boost on the stock engine or it will not survive long. All forged rebuild for my engine first, then a supercharger system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I like the torque thrust look ;<)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am sorry for the loss of your wife man, but glad that your cancer free. I have been cancer free ten years now, I know the fear. I am 52, I have a 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, 6.4l Hemi. I am hoping to do the same to my Ram 6.4 liter that your doing to your RT and have done a lot of research and spoken to several 30 year techs in the dealerships and custom shops. I am going to get my engine foundation fortified first. I have been told the rods, pistons, cam, lifters and all will need to be upgraded before running boost on the stock engine or it will not survive long. All forged rebuild for my engine first, then a supercharger system.
They are pretty solid except for the pistons being thin from the high ring lands that make them fragile for over 5psi of boost.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm going the other route. Blow it, bore it, more boost. Three years and some change she's still running good. Rear difs seem to be an issue for me. Lol😆

Reactions: 2017PW
1 - 15 of 15 Posts