DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, have a 2017 Bighorn Crew, 4x4, Hemi, 3.92. This is my 3rd Ram, and we have several in the family. It seems to me that this truck is way too “floaty”... and body roll seems to be very noticeable. This truck has been this way since new, and only has 15k on it. Anybody else have this issue? It feels like I’m driving a 72 caddy. When I’m hitting bumps, feels like the trucks rolls side to side. None of my prior Rams (09,14) felt this way.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
My '14 isn't like that. With the way I have my truck set-up I had a bit of body roll which I handled with a new sway control bar. You may have some weak shocks and struts on your truck. You might take it in to the stealership and see what they say about it. The may have been a bad batch of shocks and struts that they're aware of. Replacing them could fix the issue you have.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Since it has been that way since new and the Ram is known for it's cushy ride, I would say that is how it is.
I would rec. replacing the rear springs with a set of Tufftruck springs or upgrading the sway bar or both.
I have tufftruck 1211 springs and General HTS60 tires set at 44 psi and mine handles much better but it does ride a bit like a truck - not a caddy.

I am assuming you have 20" wheels and not 17", the 17" will ride much softer also.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
The tuftruck springs are great. Some Bilsteins to replace the stock shocks and struts will give the truck a better quality ride. Those would be my first suggested upgrade for your truck. A new Hellwig sway control bar will make a big difference as well.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I went to load range D tires and Bilstein 4600s and it made a world of difference in how it handles bridge joints and body roll when turning

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I went to load range D tires and Bilstein 4600s and it made a world of difference in how it handles bridge joints and body roll when turning
Have you replaced your sway control bar or still using the stock one?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Have you replaced your sway control bar or still using the stock one?

Still stock. I've slowed down on the mods now that I'm close to paying off the Durango and my wife has started trying to convince me to get an HD (thanks to my neighbor's Granite Crystal 2500 Hemi Laramie Sport). I'll be due for tires here pretty soon as my KO2s have 53,000 on them and that's going to be about $1200, maybe more

Reactions: Ric McC.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Still stock. I've slowed down on the mods now that I'm close to paying off the Durango and my wife has started trying to convince me to get an HD (thanks to my neighbor's Granite Crystal 2500 Hemi Laramie Sport). I'll be due for tires here pretty soon as my KO2s have 53,000 on them and that's going to be about $1200, maybe more
Wouldn't you rather have no payments?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Wouldn't you rather have no payments?
Yes, and my 1500 does everything I need, gets better mileage, and fits in my garage-which is why I'm still driving it. If I'm nit able to keep the rust off through 3 winters here I may start looking, I don't think I will before then

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I didn't notice anything different suspension-wise between my 2015 Ram and my 2017 Ram. They both seemed very similar to me.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,603 Posts
My 2017 Ram rides just fine for me. Not quite as stiff as my 05 Silverado Z-71 x4, but holds the road like it's on tracks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
let me go ahead and be that red guy on your other shoulder...

you wife is absolutely right, you should come to the dark side and get a 2500. She's a heckuva catch I tell ya. :gy:

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
let me go ahead and be that red guy on your other shoulder...

you wife is absolutely right, you should come to the dark side and get a 2500. She's a heckuva catch I tell ya. :gy:

Get back here Mike!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Reactions: IN2H2O and Ric McC.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Buy a light weight sporty coupe, I really enjoy my weird 3 door plus a hatchback and 28-29 mpg per week. Carvana has destroyed my control, there could be another addition late today...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Back on topic for a minute. I agree the Rams ride a bit soft, do to much side to side see-saw movement, and role a bit much in curves for my taste.

But that's the trade off for having a full size truck that rides great the other 95% of the time.

For me Bilstein's made no noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Back on topic for a minute. I agree the Rams ride a bit soft, do to much side to side see-saw movement, and role a bit much in curves for my taste.

But that's the trade off for having a full size truck that rides great the other 95% of the time.

For me Bilstein's made no noticeable improvement.
If you want to reduce the body roll replace the stock rear sway control bar with the one from Hellwig. That will make a big improvement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I second the Hellwig sway bar, it has 3 settings. I have mine in the middle. Made a big difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts