DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I'm new to the forum. You had helped me with another issue some time back, but this one is more serious.

I purchased new 2018 Ram 2500 HD crewcab 8'bed.. issues now with touchscreen. It is low mileage, but is out of warranty due to age now.

I did notice what looks like some delaminating the first year, but thought it was just moisture between the layers.
Now, (June 2022) I got in it this morning and the serus xm wasn't working properly. I had changed my service so thought that was all.... I connected my android Samsung S10 and listened to my channels and ran the mapping without issue for 4 hours... but then it continued to get worse.

On the return trip it kept dropping the mapping so I had to push the re-center link repeated times. I just turned the mapping off after an hour since I knew the roads after that. I called serius to ask what was up with the whole thing. Turned the truck off several times.. you know their drill. Never got it to work again.

While unloading at my destination, I first popped the hood and disconnected the battery. I figured with computers and all else fails, reboot, right? Well I guess that was wrong. I lost the xm entirely. Did end up getting it back after my second stop. That is where it continued to get even worse. It started changing it's channels by itself and then also started making phone call after phone call at random from my phone. It seems possessed. I disconnected the phone (connected via bluetooth and by hardwire USB for Android Auto) .. Well I ran without the phone attached for some time....

Is this all actually just a delamination problem? Is it something else? What is the solution? Is it common? Perhaps I need to get some holy water and garlic.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If the Exorcism doesn’t work, ( HaHa! ), it sounds like you may be getting some ghosting going on with the digitizer (screen). This may be confusing your radio into thinking you are touching it. I have a 2018 also and my screen showed a lot of marks on it where I frequently touch it. I finally put a screen protector on and it covers up those finger wear marks, but I was not having the same issues you are having.
But your issue sounds more like the digitizer is delaminating. It could be a hardware problem within the radio, or a bad screen due to the delamination. Might want to have a dealer look at it first and see if they can download any updates to reset the radio. Then you can make a better decision on what to do next.
Probably will either need to replace entire head unit, or at least a new screen replacement. I was going to replace my screen, but putting on the screen protector covered up all the blemishes on the screen.
You can do either replace the entire head unit or do a screen replacement yourself. eBay has some vendors selling the screens but I have no experience with them. If you go with a new screen just be sure you get the correct one. YouTube has a few videos of screen replacement procedures. Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Exorcism doesn’t work, ( HaHa! ), it sounds like you may be getting some ghosting going on with the digitizer (screen). This may be confusing your radio into thinking you are touching it. I have a 2018 also and my screen showed a lot of marks on it where I frequently touch it. I finally put a screen protector on and it covers up those finger wear marks, but I was not having the same issues you are having.
But your issue sounds more like the digitizer is delaminating. It could be a hardware problem within the radio, or a bad screen due to the delamination. Might want to have a dealer look at it first and see if they can download any updates to reset the radio. Then you can make a better decision on what to do next.
Probably will either need to replace entire head unit, or at least a new screen replacement. I was going to replace my screen, but putting on the screen protector covered up all the blemishes on the screen.
You can do either replace the entire head unit or do a screen replacement yourself. eBay has some vendors selling the screens but I have no experience with them. If you go with a new screen just be sure you get the correct one. YouTube has a few videos of screen replacement procedures. Good Luck.
Didn't even know that was even a possibility.. I called the dealer the day I posted this question.. still haven't heard from them, but did get an email asking for my review of the person who helped me at the dealer. WTF?I have two phone calls now with messages and nobody has deigned to return my call. I'll go there Tuesday morning. I happen to know when the general manager will be in. I have low mileage on the thing and rarely use the screen,,but it is out of warranty unless my extended warranty covers it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you been able to get any help yet?

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you have the Maxcare extended warranty it will be covered. The dealership replaced my radio under that coverage.

As I recall, they first had to get approval from Uconnect tech support to replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you been able to get any help yet?
If you have the Maxcare extended warranty it will be covered. The dealership replaced my radio under that coverage.

As I recall, they first had to get approval from Uconnect tech support to replace it.
I have an appointment on the 13th to have them look at it.
I don't know the name of my extended warranty.. I hope it's covered the unit itself from Dodge is nearly 2K.
I did find just the screen on amazon for 200 but I don't have the tools or knowledge of how to get into the dash.
My dash around the entire area needs replaced. I had hung one of those vent car glad scented things and the silver/grey plastic paint is wrinkled now on the passenger side just under the vent. looks like trash.
...that scent thing isn't associated with the delamination... I noticed the lines in the screen prior to using that scent thing in the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I forgot to update.. I was so PO'd. My appointment on the 13th was with a Dodge dealer in Dublin, OH called Crown Dodge. Apparently I, a woman with a truck in my T-shirt and Jeans simply isn't good enough for them. I was furious at my treatment and they wanted nearly $200 from me just to look at the truck. I of course refused and picked up my warranty paperwork (which they already should have had on file from a previous thing with the breaks) and I stormed out.

I will never again do business with Crown Dodge or suggest anyone else get as much as an oil change there.

End of this chapter of the story. After I cooled off, I called the dealership I bought the truck at. Liberty over in New Albany, OH addressed on Worthington Rd (old 161) and Pataskala mailing. They were very nice. Though I could have made the appointment even the next day, I was on my way out of state again so made it for a week ago...I just forgot to post.

Yes it is delaminating.. the extended warranty is going to cover it and I'll have a $50 copay...lesson learned. What I saw wasn't water or some sort of damage.. the water line look I had seen at about 6 months of ownership was this delamination which is getting worse obviously. I should have made a claim then.

I suppose the next time if this new one (not installed yet) gets in, I can either ignore it and disconnect it all together, replace the radio etc, or figure out for myself how to replace the screen. I do find one online which I am uncertain is the correct one for $200, but I don't have the knowledge right now to install it....so would be $1000 or more if no insurance. Bummer, but I'm glad I got that warranty.

I"ll try to remember to post when the work is done

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS, just got off the phone with Liberty, the unit isn't in yet but is on order. There is a reason my last 5 trucks have come from there (was in Johnstown, O previously) They believe in the Golden Rule and customer service with respect.

Yea, parts supply in general sucks. My bf by trade is a welder but works for a company that repairs semi-trucks. His specialty is in the trailers and estimates for repair.... he is paid commission and they are so backlogged even with getting parts prices, let alone the actual parts..they are just now working on one trailer which has been on their lot since March.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts