DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Need some help here. Moving up from a 2012 Outdoorsman 5.7 Hemi Crew to either a 2018 Big Horn Crew with 5.7 Hemi with 3.92 or 2018 Outdoorsman Eco Diesel Crew with 3.55 rear end. Only towing done is 150 square bales of hay at a time (3-4 trips) once per summer and then occasional weekends hauling two king quad 750s.

Need some advice on Diesel reliability, maintenance cost, anything else that would be helpful in making a decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
My opinion I have owned various hemi's and my last two have been eco diesels. The hemi's are nice and are fairly quick and you can do a lot of customizing to them. They have a tendency to tick at start up.It is embarrassing to be in a parking lot and your beautiful truck is lifter ticking for a few seconds. That use to piss me off. Now the eco's they are slow have lag when you step on it. There is a tune by green diesel engineering that takes away the lag gives a few more HP and does away with the EGR system. The GDE tune is a must if you get the eco. You have to buy DEF fluid for them although it is cheap and lasts for a long time. The pro is the fuel economy in my 15 eco without the GDE tune was getting me between 22 and 24 in the city and 26 to 28 on the highway which is phenomenal for a large truck. I just bought an 18 eco only because I got such a good price because my 15 was flawless and I got rid of it at 49000 miles. I have 500 miles and currently waiting for my ECU to get back from GDE. Now maintenance is more expensive on the ECO when I do an oil change between the Rotella and the filter it's about 100 dollars then you have to change the fuel filter about 15 to 17 thousand miles. That filter is about 39.00 for the OEM one. With the ECO's some people have had great luck with them and to others they have been a nightmare. The hemi's are pretty bulletproof unless you abuse them just like anything else. I was extremely happy with my 15 eco and after I start driving the 18 we shall see how good this one is.

I don't abuse these trucks they are daily drivers I don't tow anything and I don't go off road. The undercarriage of my 15 looked like it came off the show room floor it was that clean. If you get an ECO you must stay up with the maintenance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just took my ecod on a road trip, on roads I am unfamiliar with.

That means hard wot merges.

Shows how bad the turbo lag is, and gde doesnt eliminate turbo lag, its not like they unbolt the turbo it may help it, but its still there.

I love the gas mileage my 17 eco gives but miss the instant power of my 14 hemi.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd go with the Outdoorsman. You would be buying one of the last of them and getting the ecodiesel would just be a bonus. And if you wait, you will be looking at pretty substantial increases in price no matter what you get.

There is a Youtube where a like 20 year Ford tech bought an early ecodiesel and he has now done a three year review. He was going to get rid of it, except for one problem. He really really likes it.

Go look up that video he goes into some detail on the whole package.

Oh, I have a 5.7 hemi. getting over 10 mpg more than I get now sounds appealing.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,608 Posts
Nice truck! Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Mmmm, nothing quite like a burbling V8 for flying down the highway; congrats on a beautiful new truck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts