DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ram Crew Laramie 4x4 Cummins Delmonico Red
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Members,

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Laramie. I just rolled up to 15K miles and received a dash message that it’s time for fuel filter service. I called several dealers in my service area and received quotes ranging from $300 to $800 for this service. Can anyone shed light on a reasonable charge for this service (parts and labor)?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dear Members,

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Laramie. I just rolled up to 15K miles and received a dash message that it’s time for fuel filter service. I called several dealers in my service area and received quotes ranging from $300 to $800 for this service. Can anyone shed light on a reasonable charge for this service (parts and labor)?
First, all I can say is. It is super simple to change FFs. doing it yourself can save you up to $500.00. Depending where you are and who is doing it. U2 vids gives you the basic knowledge and then you will have your own common sense of observation. Second, fuels are excellent and quick movers. Gas station pumps have 30 micron filters for diesel fuel before it goes into your vehicle. Then the trucks filters are 30 micron filters and the rear is equipped with a water separator with a water sensor and a warning indicator. Water is the big killer of the fuel system. So if your system is clean and you are not paling fuel in at times, chances are your fuel system is in great shape. As far as intervals that is up to you. There are the factory recommendations in the owners manual. Now this is what I have found. There are better filters than the dealer items. I use Amsoil products. (filters and oils) This is what I have done on my 2016 3500 DRW Cummins back in the day. First off I was doing mileage. I had installed a 100 gallon severe auxiliary bed tank. Fuel is inline pumped from auxiliary top tank through a Racor (gasoline)10 micron marine fuel filter w/ clear bowl water separator then it goes into the bottom tank (closed system). I have gone up to 45,000 miles on FFs and it was still pulling strong. The Racor takes the brunt of filtering, 3 to 1 on volume and filtering w/10 micron filtering. After all of these investments I have cut my fuel system costs by 2/3 on materials, tripled my running time and saved me personal maintenance time. I have cut filters open and they were clean (minimal residue) with no collapse after 45,000 miles. I know of people that have put more than 50,000 miles one factory set ups and others until they had power loss. If you just do a reset on your FFs for another cycle you will have cut your cost by 50 cents on a dollar. So really it is your call. Happy Holidays

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The 2 Mopar filters are about $140 ish list price. The newest version is 5 microns outer with a 3 micron inner filter. I can't see it being more than a 1/2 hour job. Even giving the dealer an hour, that barely gets to $300.

To confirm pricing, check with Geno's Garage. They have all sorts of diesel stuff. Be aware, some stuff is in short supply including oil of all things. Rotella T is out of stock everywhere, crazy!

The MOPAR NanoNet for '10-'22, 6.7L Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel trucks is a two-stage fuel filter designed to trap smaller particles than other aftermarket fuel filters by using a proprietary filter medium. It has a 5 micron outer filter with a 3 micron inner filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 2 Mopar filters are about $140 ish list price. The newest version is 5 microns outer with a 3 micron inner filter. I can't see it being more than a 1/2 hour job. Even giving the dealer an hour, that barely gets to $300.

To confirm pricing, check with Geno's Garage. They have all sorts of diesel stuff. Be aware, some stuff is in short supply including oil of all things. Rotella T is out of stock everywhere, crazy!

The MOPAR NanoNet for '10-'22, 6.7L Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel trucks is a two-stage fuel filter designed to trap smaller particles than other aftermarket fuel filters by using a proprietary filter medium. It has a 5 micron outer filter with a 3 micron inner filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought the parts a couple of years ago from Drive Auto Parts. $117.59 for both filters. Only takes a little time to change both. The main filter at the rear of the truck is the easiest to change. Just need a bucket and some simple tools. Even has a drain to make the job easier. You may want to try an independent. Dealer costs are awful.

·
Registered
193 Posts
on my 2017 2500 6.7 I needed a strap wrench to break the filter loose in the back. For the front one, I needed a u-joint on the socket to remove the cover. On the oil filter, you will ned to remove the passanger front tire to get at it. You will need a good filter wrench and a breaker bar (it is tight).

·
Registered
84 Posts
...received quotes ranging from $300 to $800 for this service...
While a total of $300.00 (parts & labor) for replacement of both filters is "close", and that is just a tad more than what my dealership charged me fifteen months ago, it is still more than what the Mopar filters and the tools will cost you. I bought both filters and both wrenches online for ~$170.00 and did it myself this time. If you don't already have a good drain pan, that may add a few dollars to the initial cost. My first two such filter changes were done by the dealership, the most recent costing me ~$250.00, which I have no problem with, but figured doing it myself was simple enough and probably (considering inflation) cheaper.

The filters are:
68157291AA (main/front)
68197867AB (water separator/rear)

The wrenches are:
Lisle 14600 (fuel filter socket for main filter housing cap)
Lisle 34900 ((water sensor wrench)

The rest of the tools are pretty basic, although I used a "chain" type filter wrench for the rear filter and saved a lot of time and effort. You will also need a short piece of 3/8" ID clear plastic hose and a short piece of 1/2" ID clear plastic hose... the former for the rear "nipple" at the drain petcock, and the latter for replacing/extending the existing tubing on the front drain petcock. Plan to spend a good hour or so if doing it for your first time... I spent almost two, as I was gathering tools as I went along, over-engineered everything, and triple-checked my work as I proceeded and finished. :)

Also...
Wear gloves and old clothing... Diesel fuel stinks.
After draining the fuel, there will still be a bit more in the filters. Once you "crack open" the rear and front filter housings, more will emerge.
Priming the newly replaced filters and fuel line is easy, but (at least the first time) it will seem to take forever before then engine starts and runs, but it really does work. When I did it, the delay reminded me of giving Adenosine to a patient. It "stops" the heart rhythm and then (usually ;) ) allows it to convert to a normal rhythm.
Tartan Rectangle Wood Plaid Floor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts