DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RKI mobile audio guys...

I have a base stereo unit in my new 2018 Ram 1500 quad cab Express trim. (June production).
Basic dash with bottom-of-line RA1? - simplest basic AM/FM/XM/USB and with no bluetooth.

I'd like to replace it with a versatile unit I'm comfortable with - a double DIN Pioneer unit with
Navigation & Bluetooth. [Whether I want a CD or not is up in air esp if I can take SD or USB stick.]

[...no, I'm not gonna go for an 8.4 factory unit.]

• Will 'install kits' to mount double DIN units in 2013-2017 (Metra, Scosche, etc.) also
    work in my 2018 RAM fine and without tweaking?

[For aftermarket items, sometimes minor year-to-year changes happen and they can
    be important.]
  • Will these mounting kits "look good", or are they made from really cheezy plastic?
  • I guess it'll be necessary to cut that steel bracket in back - or can it be unscrewed &
    dismounted easily without cutting/sawing?
  • If that back metal bracket that physically supports the "flatpack" OEM factory radios
    (RA1, RA3 etc) is removed, will this area of the dash structurally weaker esp after an
    ordinary double-DIN "box" unit is installed??
  • Oh - I presume since I have working XM - that that antenna can be used for GPS Nav
    on new unit (plus or minus a connector converter)? [and Where IS that XM antenna
    located in an Expresss RAM 1500 quad cab truck?]
  • I have a 'smarter' mirror with the rearview camera.

-- can that signal be diverted/split to my stereo's aux video input or is it an odd
    digital format that's not NTSC?

-- is a mic (for Bluetooth) perchance already installed in mirror?

-- where would a good place for a BT mic to be placed (where
    would the factory put it??)

Thanks!

[This ain't a wiring question just a mounting/install question.]

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
All good questions. I'm not sure if an aftermarket radio can use the stock mic. Which pioneer are you looking at?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good questions. I'm not sure if an aftermarket radio can use the stock mic. Which pioneer are you looking at?
One of the AVH series with a Nav box. Unclear on which one - will get whatever I can get on a deal - had a similar one in my old 2011 Challenger but didn't add the GPS nav box

1 - 3 of 3 Posts