DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I 1st bought this ram 8 months ago, I was averaging between 16.7 and 18.2 MPG, which was as expected. I had this expectation because I owned a 2014 hemi ram with the VVT motor before that for 150k miles and averaged the same mpg. For some reason at some point 4 months ago late Sept/early Oct my fuel mileage dropped to between 13.8 and 15.3 and has stayed there since. I have noticed the eco mode not turning on as often as it should. The ram has about 20k miles on it at this point. The dealership is telling me it's because it is cold out and using auto start, but the problem started when it was still between the 60 and 70 degree temp range. I have noticed when the truck itself is cold it will not go into eco mode at all. My 14 Ram didn't act this way Thoughts???

·
Registered
2021 ram 1500 warlock,5.7l ,4x4
209 Posts
When I 1st bought this ram 8 months ago, I was averaging between 16.7 and 18.2 MPG, which was as expected. I had this expectation because I owned a 2014 hemi ram with the VVT motor before that for 150k miles and averaged the same mpg. For some reason at some point 4 months ago late Sept/early Oct my fuel mileage dropped to between 13.8 and 15.3 and has stayed there since. I have noticed the eco mode not turning on as often as it should. The ram has about 20k miles on it at this point. The dealership is telling me it's because it is cold out and using auto start, but the problem started when it was still between the 60 and 70 degree temp range. I have noticed when the truck itself is cold it will not go into eco mode at all. My 14 Ram didn't act this way Thoughts???
Do you drive the same way all the time? I get 16 mpg 17 mpg in my 2021 5.7l and I drive 80 miles a day 90 percent hwy at 72mph if I go 75 mph it will drop to 15mpg. Mine is at 10k miles. I do know I use 2 more Gallons a week then I did in my challenger r/t so to me it does not matter to me. Then again in the challenger I was driving 77 mph. I still think it's pretty good for a 4 wheel drive truck.

·
Registered
'21 Bighorn 4x4-5.7 3.21 hemi eTorque-Night, level 2, 12", Alpine, pan roof, pwr steps, FX mega
70 Posts
I have 21k on my '21(bighorn 5.7) I've had since 11/2020. My mileage sucked from day one and continues. It does do better in the summer, I think the seasonal blends make some differences. I average 13-14 with reg 87 and best 14-16 with 89/91. No better with 93 or higher oct's. I never till recently seen the green eco light, It just started popping on in the past month or so, never seen it prior.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2019 3.93 4X4 with the Etorque and my economy has been exactly the same the whole 2 years Ive had it. This is a second vehicle for me so I only drive back and forth to work on my 28 mile half highway and half interstate route when its not raining. I got 18 mpg when I got it and still get that now on the onboard computer. I drive at 70-72 mph on interstate which is about 2000 rpms. It hasn't gone up or down since I got it and now I have about 17500 miles, Summer winter hot cold etc its about 18-18.5 mpg

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
876 Posts
I have a 2019 3.93 4X4 with the Etorque and my economy has been exactly the same the whole 2 years Ive had it. This is a second vehicle for me so I only drive back and forth to work on my 28 mile half highway and half interstate route when its not raining. I got 18 mpg when I got it and still get that now on the onboard computer. I drive at 70-72 mph on interstate which is about 2000 rpms. It hasn't gone up or down since I got it and now I have about 17500 miles, Summer winter hot cold etc its about 18-18.5 mpg
3.93 will do that to your mpgs. But I bet it pulls like a champ!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in the mountain west our fuel blend changes for the winter months. My 5.7 drops 1-2 mpg in Oct and resumes in Apr every year. Timing of your problem sounds about right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you folks that have lost fuel economy will have the intake cleaned and stop running fuel with ethanol, you will all regain your original fuel economy.

·
Registered
'21 Bighorn 4x4-5.7 3.21 hemi eTorque-Night, level 2, 12", Alpine, pan roof, pwr steps, FX mega
70 Posts
If you folks that have lost fuel economy will have the intake cleaned and stop running fuel with ethanol, you will all regain your original fuel economy.
And where do you fine fuel without ethanol, I find all brands near me to contain it?? And mine is a '21 I guessing the intake is clean. 14-16 at best ever.... from day one. I live with it since I really do like my truck but, I hope for that moment when it 'breaks in' and does better.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here in the mountain west our fuel blend changes for the winter months. My 5.7 drops 1-2 mpg in Oct and resumes in Apr every year. Timing of your problem sounds about right.
Same here out east... once mid-Nov hits my MPG drops like a rock. 22-23 on long trip down to 20, 17-19 down to 14-15 around town

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
876 Posts
Agreed. Tough to find gas without Ethanol though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And where do you fine fuel without ethanol, I find all brands near me to contain it?? And mine is a '21 I guessing the intake is clean. 14-16 at best ever.... from day one. I live with it since I really do like my truck but, I hope for that moment when it 'breaks in' and does better.
It really isn’t that hard to find. You’ll just have to look and ask around to find vendors that sell it. Once you find it, fill up with that vendor regularly. I travel all over the country and have been able to find it in every major city and in most small towns. Ethanol IS clogging up the intake portion of your engine. It is affecting the way it runs and your fuel economy. The only way to prove that statement is for you to have someone that knows what they’re doing clean the intake. My local dealer has a process that works, but I’m sure there are ways to DIY. You will immediately notice a fuel economy increase. However, if you continue to run moonshine in your engine for any length of time whatsoever, it will again decline.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Unfortunately in many states it's the law, E-15 is a requirement now. In addition to loss of zinc from oil wiping out cams, now the ethanol is destroying fuel lines and pumps in classic cars. I had to run all ethanol rated lines when I put EFI on my car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I’ve only been in 49 states and five Canadian Provences in the past four years (39 in 2021), and I’ve not seen any of them that you can’t buy moonshine free.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Don't mean to bust on ya... but I just got back from SW Ontario (Chatham-Kent) for 3 week stay and not one station there, Windsor or London (or Woodstock that I filled up at) had stickers on the pumps that said "Contains Ethanol". Even the station that used to sell ethanol free finally had to cave because the owner said he couldn't get it any more.

And in NJ it's the law... must sell E-15 fuel, and winter blend just seems to makes it worse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven’t been to Ontario in 7 years. The last time I was in New Jersey or New York was pre-COVID. Nothing would surprise me in any of those places. We drove through BC, Alberta, Yukon and Saskatchewan in 2019. Had no problem purchasing it then. It is still available in MOST states. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that it’s been done away with in Washington, Oregon and California too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Technically, you can buy it here in NJ. Either at a hardware store in 1 gallon cans for use in lawnmowers/chain saws and such, or the race track, but has to go into a container, can't be pumped directly into the car. (no road use tax)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts