DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new model 2019, and the 6 speakers. Wanting to upgrade all 6 speakers and amplify them.
Is a 6ch necessary? Or would a 4 ch suffice? How would you wire up 6 speakers to a 4 ch?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If the speakers are wired the same at the 4th generation rams, the front speakers are wired together on each side so it is just a 4 channel system.
On my 16 the door and dash speaker were wired together per side and I think both were 8 ohm speakers (if I remember correctly) - at least the dash was 8 ohm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the speakers are wired the same at the 4th generation rams, the front speakers are wired together on each side so it is just a 4 channel system.
On my 16 the door and dash speaker were wired together per side and I think both were 8 ohm speakers (if I remember correctly) - at least the dash was 8 ohm.
Ah so you mean the left pillar and left front door are wired together?
Also are they tweeters? Crutchfield hust said they were 3.5” speakers and I didn’t think tweeters were that big.
Also thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I don't know if I would call them tweeters but they are 3.5" in the dash corners.
Are they in the actual pillar on your 19 or just in the dash below the pillar?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if I would call them tweeters but they are 3.5" in the dash corners.
Are they in the actual pillar on your 19 or just in the dash below the pillar?
They are in the dash corners now that I think about it. My bad

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
The other thing to know is if you go with 4 ohm speakers the dash speakers will over power the doors.
The easiest fix is to soldier in a 4 ohm power resistor in series with the corner speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other thing to know is if you go with 4 ohm speakers the dash speakers will over power the doors.
The easiest fix is to soldier in a 4 ohm power resistor in series with the corner speakers.
What if I went 4 ohm in the dash speakers as well, would it just cancel that out since all speakers would be 4 ohm?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
That's the problem, if you go with 4 ohm dash, then you have to wire in the resistor. (which is what I did)
Straight 4 ohm dash will work and sound fine but will be so overpowering that you will not hear the front door speakers.

It takes less power to drive the small speakers vs. the door speakers. Just sounds a bit more balanced without the dash completely over powering the door speaker.

And 8 ohm 3.5" speakers are not very common.

If you went 4 ohm dash and 2 ohm doors might work - IF the headunit can work with 2 ohm speakers.
I haven't tried this though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts